Hearing from Former Students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Apr 6, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 6, 2018

I have a large group of former students who’re graduating high school this year. For some reason, a bunch of them have been contacting me. Some have asked for letters of recommendation, others have wanted to share where they’re going to attend college, and a few wanted words of encouragement for the future.

It warms my heart to know that out of all the teachers they could’ve contacted, they reached out to their 1st/2nd grade teacher (I looped from 1st to 2nd one year; therefore, I really got to know this group of kiddos).

On days when we’re feeling overwhelmed with unnecessary paperwork, meetings, coworker drama, unruly students, or other things that can put a damper on our day—let’s remember that we’re truly making a difference in our students’ lives...even if they don’t say so until many years later! Hugs!

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

And if he is that next lawyer, well, I'm sure there were some other students that you led down the right path.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 6, 2018

I love it when students come back to see me or send me emails totally out of the blue to say hi or tell me what they are up to. I feel so proud of their achievements and that they turned out to be good people with good heads on their shoulders, even if they were a little stinker when I had them! It’s one of the best parts of the job!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2018

One of our former students is a regular sub in our school has has subbed for me frequently. I love contact from former students!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 21, 2018

I've definitely looked up my elementary teachers! I'm "connected" with my 3rd grade teacher on LinkedIn and friends with my 5th grade teacher on Facebook. I haven't found anyone else other than a few of my high school teachers. As quiet/ reserved as I was, they surprisingly ALL remember me. I hope I don't forget any of my students (although they might forget me. Do you remember YOUR preschool teacher?)