Heard something through the grapevine...advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kmeteach, Aug 13, 2012.

1. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 13, 2012

This weekend, I found out that a position was opening up at my old school...the one that had been cut due to the budget is now back, in the class where most of my kids are. A coworker was kind enough to let me know and told me to email the principal and also to call and leave a message. I did both of those things, and said in the message I would also call back on Monday. I tried calling earlier, but there is no answer at the school. I have also had no response to my email as of yet.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but this is basically my old job! What should I do? I don't want to bombard the principal, but I really want to work there again. I will be heartbroken if they don't consider me for this. :(

I also went on an interview today, which went well...but the principal admitted that there were no openings! She liked to interview people "just in case" and said she was very impressed with my resume and I would definitely get a call if a position opened up. Which is nice, but I left feeling sad because I thought there was an actual opening. I have another interview tomorrow at another district, this one is a panel interview, so I'm really nervous. Any advice for that?

3. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 13, 2012

Do you have recall rights in your old district? A neighboring district that laid off teachers had to fill any openings with teachers on the recall list before they were able to hire anyone from outside.

Maybe call your old union representative to see if the position can legally be yours without having to go through the process again.

4. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 13, 2012

I was hired as a long term sub, of sorts....which is the only way to best describe it. I wasn't under contract. The union can't help me. I don't know what else to do. All I have to rely on are words, that if something opened up I would be notified. I've called 3 times today and no answer. I don't know if there's no one working today, or if they're screening calls.

It's very frustrating and it makes me feel helpless.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 13, 2012

Maybe stop by the school and ring the bell to drop off a resume packet.