Healthy Foods List

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Aug 6, 2010.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2010

This thread is in part inspired by another post, in part because what to bring for lunches topic comes up every year and in part because my own health is suffering from eating the worst foods for the past year. So I'm starting the list and I want all of you to join in and add to it.

*Sugar Snap Peas
    *Strawberries
    *Grapes
    *Avocados
    *Bruchetta
    *Stir Fry
    *Sliced Tomatoes with a little salt on them
    *Cucumbers, Salted with Vineger
    *Olives
    *Cheese
    *Beans
    *Green Beans
    *Peas
    *Corn
    *Kiwi
    *Nectarines
    *Apples (variety, variety, variety--Don't buy the same old kind)
    *V-8 Juice

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

Whole grain bread
    Greek yogurt (my new favourite!)
    Zucchini
    Grapefruit
    Bananas
    Sweet potatoes (have a recipe for wicked baked sweet potato fries!)
    Sweet bell peppers
    Quinoa

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 6, 2010

MrsC - can you share your sweet potato fries recipe?

Also, if you have access to a microwave that you can hog for 6-8 minutes you can make a baked potato. I top mine with some salsa and a little cheese.

baby carrots

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

You can also top a potato with plain yogurt- my grandma's trick instead of sour cream and it tastes good too!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

1 lb peeled sweet potatoes cut into 1/4" match-sticks
    2 T extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 t cumin
    1/2 t oregano
    1/2 t coriander
    1 t kosher salt
    1 t parsley
    1/8 tsp black pepper

*you want 1lb sweet potatoes after they are peeled, sliced, etc. If you weigh them at the store make sure you have a little more than a pound to allow for the peeling, and tossing of small pieces.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl combine cumin, oregano, coriander, salt, parsley, and pepper.

Place sweet potatoes in a pile directly on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Use hands to toss until all pieces are well coated. Sprinkle seasoning mixture on top and toss again with hands to coat.

Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer so that pieces are not touching each other. Place pan in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Use a metal spatula to gently flip fries and then return pan to oven. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until fries are starting to lightly brown and crisp. Remove pan from oven and cool 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

Instead of making a list, aim for selecting a range of different colored fruits and vegetables, that's the best way to get a lot of vitamins and other nutrients. I usually try to get 3 different colors a trip, like green (lettuce, brocolli), yellow (bananas), and red (apples) but when I think about getting different colors it's made choosing a lot quicker!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 6, 2010

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2010

Sounds disgusting but actually tastes pretty good... one of my mom's "go-to" low-point lunches... cottage cheese mixed with salsa and black beans. Cut a tortilla into 8ths and toast it to give you some chips... can keep me going all afternoon!

Another easy, fast salad I like taking for lunch... spinach with a small can of mandarin oranges and a hard-cooked egg. Use part of the juice from theo ranges as a dressing. If the egg yolks sit too long in the juice they get soggy, though, so I usually add the egg right before i eat. Veggies, fruit, and protein... pretty good! I usually eat with yogurt and something crunchy, but that's just me ;)

This summer i've enjoyed buying fruit on sale.. particularly strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries... but I never get them eaten before the go bad (i live by myself, can only eat so much fruit at a time...) so I put them on a layer in the freezer... when i want to munch, I take a handful of the frozen fruit out of the freezer :)

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 6, 2010

Thanks for the recipe Mrs C, I will definitely try them.

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

Choose foods that are low calorie, low fat and high in FIBER. Fiber keeps you fuller, longer.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

You will laugh, but check some of the baby food. The gerber puffs have like 1 gram of sugar & very little calories... They are good to eat. We would buy them just to eat them.

The baby yogurt melts are good as well.

I was making hubby juice from the juicer every morning.

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 8, 2010

For a healthy treat I enjoy Archer Farms Strawberry Fruit strips. 9 grams of sugar and 35 calories. I love them!

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2010

Remember when you are snacking to go for combos - protein and carbs! PB toast or string cheese and fruit! And if you just want something to take the edge off while you are cooking dinner, go for 100 calories. If you need a little pick me up, go for 200 cals, and if you are hungry and it is going to be awhile before you eat, have a 300 cal mini meal.

15. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I have such a difficult time keeping track of calories.

Any suggestions?

16. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

*almonds, dry roasted, preferably with sea salt (not regular salt)
    *hard-boiled eggs
    *celery with natural (no sugar) peanut butter
    *deli meat rolls (with veggies inside)

Simba: there are several free websites that you can use to help you track calories, if you have time to enter it in the computer. SparkPeople is one, Fitday is another. As I understand it, both are pretty easy to use. I would suggest keeping a mini notebook with you and tracking everything, otherwise it is easy to forget the nibbles.

17. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

*tuna sandwich
    *chicken salad sandwich

both made with low fat mayo and add chopped veggies for crunch or flavor: cucumber, green pepper, tomato, onion, pickles, etc..

*cottage cheese - can add fruit
    *chicken soulvaki or greek salad
    *pasta salad made with heathy ingredients (use whole grain pasta and fresh veggies)

18. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 9, 2010

Jicama with lime juice (salt optional). Very refreshing.

19. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 9, 2010

I absolutely love

1.) albacore tuna with some lemon juice and coarse ground pepper....then I slice red, green, yellow, and orange bell peppers and eat it with the tuna like crackers. What is really awesome is my daughters (ages 5 and 6) love this for their lunch as well.

2.) chicken salad...with lots of crunchy stuff...sunflower seeds, apples, celery, low fat mayo, a dash of mustard....yummo

3.) I absolutely love cobb salad...don't know how healthy that is though :)

20. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

This post peaked my interest because I formerly was a professional dieter. (Now I can't spell! LOL)

Now? I eat what I want just in smaller portions, and ONLY when i am hungry stopping when I am satisfied (not full). I have lost (through the grace of God) 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks just doing this. (And this was coming off eating NO sugar/flour/ very low carb to eating sugar every single day, etc..

So glad I don't have to count points, calories, grams or anything anymore. It is amazing how our SMART our bodies are if we just listen to it.

I am going to pass that Sweet Potato recipe on to my mom. She is on a kick lately with them.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 10, 2010

A while ago on here, www.myfitnesspal.com was suggested. I have used it on and off and I really like it. I just have to make sure I use it more ON than OFF LOL