Healthy and Easy Lunches

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TimberBlue, Aug 12, 2010.

1. TimberBlue

TimberBlue Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Okay, so this has to do with lunches teachers can bring to school, but let's just talk about the food part.

I'm making an effort to wean myself off of wheat products. I'm convinced that they are responsible for a number of ailments we've come to accept as normal. I want a couple of affordable and easy to make options that I can rotate throughout the week. Sometimes leftovers from dinner are great, but I like to reward myself during lunch with something different.

Healthy shredded chicken wraps are great. I've also made roasted chickpea "croutons" for salads. Salads can pack a yummy punch if you load them up with extras, like sliced olives, homemade yogurt dressing, etc.

I'm also going to try to make chickpea burgers. Here's the recipe from a great website I really love: OhSheGlows.com

What else? Has anyone made any energizing snacks? The website I mentioned has several, but I'm especially wanting to create my own bars that she sells.

Thanks!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

Just curious, what ailments are you referring to?

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

I really want to try making my own baba ghanouj before going back to school. I just had it at the beach last week and it was amazing. If you don't know (I didn't) baba ghanouj is basically hummus with roasted eggplant in place of the chickpeas. Delicious, very low in calories, and it doesn't have as much protein but also less gas from the beans.

5. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I thought wheat was supposed to be healthier for you instead of refined white starches.

6. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 13, 2010

More people are gluten intolerant then they realize, which means a sensitivity to wheat. Unfortunately most of the wheat products you find in the store have been striipped of alot of the things that is really good for you. But I love it !

I have realized in the last three weeks I can eat the things that bothered me before just in smaller portions.

I love the Sandwhich thins for sandwiches filled with veggies and turkey, with an apple. I usually eat about 1/2 the sandwhich and 2/3 of the apple dipped in peanut butter. Gets me through that hump, and I am not feeling lethargic afterwards. Small portions of yummy food is what works best for me.

7. TimberBlue

TimberBlue Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I'm referring to gluten intolerance with wheat and things like Celiac Disease, all forms of depression, symptoms that mimic those of disabilities, etc. I know people who stripped gluten from their children's diet and noticed a huge difference in their health, ability to concentrate, and general well being. I also know of parents that have children with Autism who swear their children's symptoms were noticeably lessened by switching to a gluten-free diet. One also eliminated sugar. I'm a huge advocate of no sugar in the classroom. It creates instant spikes in different brain levels and has the same affect that many drugs have on us. Not good.

About food ... those new sandwich thins are great. Not wheat-free, but I'm going to experiment with creating my own version that doesn't have any gluten. I bought some last night and love that they reduced the amount of bread being consumed but still taste great.

Smoothies, people. Smooooothies!!!!!!! Last school year I doubled up on my breakfast smoothie and brought a large thermas to school. I use almond milk, fresh fruit, a frozen banana, a large handful of spinach, chia seeds, and whatever else I have laying around.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

Where have you found chia seeds? I had a recipe for orange popsicles with chia seads in my clean eating mag.

Love smoothies. I also make them with almond milk. I got the big milkshake/smoothie straws and I regularly make smoothies because I can drink them on the way to work or in homeroom.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 13, 2010

Ahhh.

Celiac is more prevalent nowadays.

It's harder to remove High Fructose Corn Syrup from one's diet, like I have done.

It causes me rather painful stomach pains.

Might want to remove that overprocessed stuff from your diet too

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

I searched the market for Sandwich Thins... had no idea I'd have any trouble finding them. Are they in the bread aisle?

Chia seeds? Is that from the health food (or Whole Foods) market?

My husband is wheat sensitive but can have gluten. He loves Spelt bread and pastas.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2010

In the supermarkets I shop at they are in one of three places--with the hamburger buns, with the English muffins, or with the pita bread/tortillas.

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

Oh, buns, muffins, or pita/tortilla... I will look!

Also, TimberBlue, I really like the blog you linked. Thanks for sharing!

13. TimberBlue

TimberBlue Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Yes, chia seeds are usually only found at health food stores. Excellent source of protein and all kinds of fantastic stuff. Put a tablespoon in smoothies or anything else you're eat ... health bars if you make them at home, sauces, etc. :)

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

I love the sandwich thins! I also make wraps with Boston lettuce. I've never hear of chia seeds. What are they?

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

I just did a quick google search and found that there are some negative side effects of chia seeds. (low blood pressure, blood thinning, addiction) Who knew you could get addicted to seeds! I love to hear about new health remedies, but I always get worried hearing about the negative side effects. I'm sure it's less than medication.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 13, 2010

I'm from boston what is boston lettuce?

17. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

Haha I don't know if it's actually from Boston! It's like butter lettuce.(actually, it might be the same thing) It's thicker and not crunchy so it's good for wraps. It is more expensive than iceberg or romaine but it is really good. My grocery store sells it where it has the roots attached so it is supposed to be fresher.

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

Sometimes Boston lettuce is called Bibb or butter lettuce.

19. TimberBlue

TimberBlue Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

There are side effects with lots of supplements, alcohol, etc., especially long-term side effects. Think mayonnaise and all that yummy stuff. Definitely sample things for a few days and see how it makes you feel. Often you can tell within a few minutes, but some could take longer. Chia seeds are great. For me they're worth it. :)

Anyway, just had a killer brownie!!!

20. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 15, 2010

I doing Weight Watchers, so I am always looking for healthy lunches. I like to do the Progresso Soups, salads, wraps, fruits, vegetables and dips. Yummmm

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

BF had a good idea last night - he said he is going to start cooking up a big batch of brown rice and mixed veggies, and then for lunch he will take a portion of that with whatever meat we had the night before and mix it in.

I typically do eat leftovers for lunch.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 15, 2010

I have been making sandwiches and wraps with hummus. Either a 100 calorie tortilla or 100 calorie sandwich thin topped with hummus and a sprinkle of broccoli slaw. I add that stuff to a lot of things and it helps add a good dose of veggies to my meals.

23. TimberBlue

TimberBlue Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Almost every day I make a large blender of smoothies and always throw in a big handful of spinach. You can pack all kinds of great stuff into a smoothie and bring some to school for a mid-morning snack. What I'm especially needing is an afternoon energy bar that will get me through the rest of the day. I'm going to purchase several samples from OhSheGlows.com and then try to replicate my favorites to save a ton of money. She's done the same with other big brand energy bars and shared some of the recipes. Yumm!