Health & Wellness Challenges For Educators

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by #EHW, Jul 26, 2017.

1. #EHW

#EHW New Member

Jul 26, 2017

Hi!

I'm wondering what types of health and wellness challenges you may face as a result of your career or teaching lifestyle. Does school make anything physically or emotionally worse for you? Do you have a method to maintain health and wellness throughout the year?

Also, what types of health and wellness challenges do you feel your student face often, are there any strategies that help them?

Would you consider using a mindfulness practice or essential oils in your classroom or for personal use?

Thank You to those of you that share!

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 27, 2017

Ahhh, I recognized the sales pitch from the first paragraph!!
    Most schools that I know of do not allow essential oils in the classroom.

Caesar753 likes this.
  4. #EHW

#EHW New Member

Jul 28, 2017

Actually, this is not a sales pitch. I'm just looking to collect data. I am NOT selling anything.

5. TXSPEDteacher

TXSPEDteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2017

I exercise- cardio and weightlifting, and I pay attention to my diet. That's it. There's not secret really. I think students face the problem of eating what is in the home, which may not be healthy. And since they don't have options, they are forced to eat unhealthy food.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2017

I walk or run several days per week. I'm not sedentary on my classroom and I love my job. School doesn't stress me out. I'm a vegetarian and live a healthy lifestyle.

I would not use oils in my class in case of student allergies.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2017

I have enough allergies and sensitivities to respectfully avoid scented oils, and I also respectfully decline the sincere request for "mandatory" mindfulness every morning. I have an hour drive in alone, with my thoughts, I am there at least 45 minutes before contract time, more than enough time for me to let down and appreciate whatever my body and mind are trying to tell me. What works for some does not work for all.

stask81 likes this.
  8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2017

Since retiring from the classroom to tutoring, I notice that my arthritis has improved and I am better able to control my diet. Scented things are too risky in the classroom. We weren't even allowed to wear perfume.

9. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Aug 7, 2017

I have to go to to the gym early in the morning now, and I can't eat my meals at the times I'd like.

I also got about 97 colds in the fall last year. That was a challenge.

10. stask81

stask81 Rookie

Aug 7, 2017

I like to take morning walks before school starts, to heave in the fresh morning air and collect my thoughts "mindfully" to get ready for the day. The gasp of morning air really helps .. it can get so hectic in the day that i forget that i am breathing.. :thumbs::thumbs: