Health Insurance

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Brenda S., Aug 23, 2003.

1. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 23, 2003

I started at a new school. The insurance is unreal. The family plan is going to cost nearly $1,000 a month. The school pays $200 a month. I can't afford it. I am looking at private insurance. Is this normal?

3. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 23, 2003

That is NOT normal where I come from. My family plan runs about $200 a month. It's pretty good health insurance too. My county also gives us free dental. I can't imagine paying much more than that.

Nick

4. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Aug 23, 2003

Wow..that is high. Private insurance is probably worse. Our private school does not offer insurance and I have done without for 4 years with no health problems..knock on wood. But I have no kids either.

5. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 23, 2003

I don't get insurance through my employment because there aren't enough employees interested, so the rates are real high. My husband pays almost $1000 a month for our family plan and that's through the company he works for! However, I know that private plans can run even more than that. Insurance is so expensive!

6. lexusann

lexusann Rookie

Aug 23, 2003

My district pays for all of our health insurance. It is one of the main benefits of working for them. It is nice to have the coverage without out of pocket expenses.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2003

health insurance has become a major consideration in contract negotiations. A nearby town had teachers ready to strike last year because health insurance has gone up so much- the board was going to pay for tenured teachers and then a tiered system of employees paying for it themselves with new hires. The costs have gone up so much- I know it was a big consideration inour school budget this year! Meanwhile doctors in NJ went on a mini-strike this winter to protest high malpractice rates. Someone somewhere is making big bucks on all this!!

8. m1ckeymouse

m1ckeymouse Rookie

Aug 28, 2003

I work in a school that had paid the cost for our health insurance and it was great insurance, but currently we are in negotiations and they are wanting to mess with our insurance. They say they will still pay for it, but the benefits will be lowered and we will be paying higher costs because less is covered. Our teachers are ready to strike if the insurance issue is not settled. Let me add though that the insurance is the best benefit we have--- our pay is one of the lowest in our state :( Guess you can't have it all.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 29, 2003

We have low pay and expensive insurance. Every year the rates rise so the school chooses a new plan. They only pay 1/2 of our premiums. Who knows what kind of plan we will have this year?

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 29, 2003

We have State Group in my parish (county). Every year the school board tells us they pay a different amount of the premium (sometimes they say half, sometimes they say 3/4, who knows). My singly premium each month is about $110; the family plan starts at a little over $200. It's not the best of insurance, but we have it. (I injured my wrist and had to go to the emergency room for x-rays. They paid nothing, I had some left on my deductible and the rest was claimed to be overpayment.) I know that every time we get a state raise they raise their rates. The last 3 raises we have gotten have almost completely been absorbed by increased premiums.

Christy

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2003

My Union covers most of the plan, I pay $20 a month towards it. As for buying your own plan...it will probably to cost you WAY more than what your school is offering. My parents are self employed and play a ton of money for their insurance~ (lets just say they were VERY happy when I graduated college, got a job and off their plan!)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 29, 2003

If you go on your own they won't take your pre-existing conditions.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 29, 2003

You're right, Upsadaisy. That is the #1 reason I haven't gone somewhere else. I tore up my shoulder in a car wreck several years ago. There is another surgery looming to repair it (pins and all:rolleyes: ) before long. The insurance through school says nothing about pre-exsisting, everyone else does. So...I'm stuck with them.

Christy

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 29, 2003

Hello,

I'm an insurance agent and my wife is a teacher. It sounds like you may be able to get a slightly more affordable rate if your health is perfect. It wouldn't hurt to try. There are a few companies out there that offer pretty good coverage at a much lower rate than the fancy plans that groups have. I am a 35 year old male and I can buy coverage for about $100 per month in Missouri. My wife would be about 250 month extra if she wanted maternity coverage. Don't hesitate to shop around. $1000 per month is too much. American Community is a Michigan based company that offers affordable rates. I used to write for them but I am no longer active in the industry due to the instability that has developed.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 29, 2003

I know, Christy, they've got us. We are going to a cafeteria-style plan where we can pick and choose different options, supposedly at a pretty good rate. I'll see at the end of Sept.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 29, 2003

The Cafeteria Plan is good if you are forced to resort to sharing the expense. Basically all of the money you spend for your benefits will be subtracted from your total taxable income. This situation results in a slightly lower tax burden due to lower taxable income. Cafeteria plans are excellent programs.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 29, 2003

Sigh ..... now if I only made enough money to have to worry about tax burdens.....

18. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Sep 1, 2003

Thanks for all of your ideas and suggestions. I did shop around. I found insurance for my husband for around $100. I am going to take the school insurance for myself and children. That will be around $500. But it comes out pre-taxed. I guess that is some help.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 3, 2003

You are fortunate to have a secure career. The money may not be the best professional salary out there but it is one of the most stable careers available today. My wife is a 12th year teacher and I would give anything to have her stability, vacation time and income. I make as much money as she does but I have fear at all times of losing my position. Be thankful

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 3, 2003

I'm thankful ... until I actually attempt to find out my true hourly wage. Then I'm depressed. Good thing I have so much fun doing what I do.

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 3, 2003

I agree Upsadaisy. I worked my way through college at Mervyn's. It was really depressing when I got my first official teacher check and realized that I had made more at Mervyns than I did teaching! Now, seven years in I'm still barely making more than I did at Mervyn's. How depressing is that? Oh well, it's just money!! :D And I can guarantee that not one thing at that job was nearly as rewarding as those smiling faces that greet me every day. There's just something about big high schoolers hanging out of the bus window hollering at you as they go by! (One of them made the driver stop this morning so he could come hug me~ He told her that it was an emergency. :cool: ) Being single, the money does become a problem sometimes, but I love what I do so I guess it's a trade off.
    As for those vacations, my summer stays packed with workshops and classes (99% at my own expense). It's just part of the job! :) :)

Christy

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 4, 2003

That is so cute that a teen stopped the bus to hug you!!!

We had our insurance meeting yesterday. Aflac does have lots of affordable supplemental policies. I'm going to look into them. Also, I definitely had to change back to a 10 month pay schedule - I was shocked when I saw how low the 12 month check was. (Did I post this already? Sorry if I did.) Also, I had to stop my automatic deductions from my check for savings. Yuck

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 4, 2003

I'm not disciplined enough for anything but a 12 month pay schedule. There's no way I would save enough to pay the bills those non-check months.

Christy