Health insurance between jobs

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by yellowdaisies, Jun 14, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 14, 2014

I think this has been discussed before...

If you've switched jobs, what did you do for health care in the interim? COBRA? Go without? I am losing my health benefits at my current job as of July 1, and my new insurance doesn't kick in until September 1. My current employer's HR told me I will receive COBRA information in mid July (which is 2 weeks after I lose my insurance....:()

Any input is much appreciated. Thank you!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

COBRA is super expensive. I went without from July 1 until the end of October. I then was on very limited, income based insurance (I could qualify due to subbing) that my county offered.

With the Affordable Care Act, I'm not sure that would be possible any more.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 14, 2014

Isn't COBRA basically taking over the full cost of your insurance each month? I know what that is because it's on my pay stub, although my school pays 100% currently...

I will probably end up going without as well, since it's only 2 months...it's just frustrating!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 14, 2014

I bought my own health insurance. I've always had HealthNet when my job didn't offer benefits or I was between jobs.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2014

I need to figure this out also. Our military insurance ends July 31st and my insurance at my new school won't start until October 1st. I need to at least find something to cover the baby for those 2 months.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 14, 2014

I had this situation last year because my new school started so late. I bought my own insurance for two months. I just went through the company I'd had under the school (Kaiser) and bought an individual plan through their website. I was shocked at how cheap it was. It was less than 200 a month and it was really good insurance- better than what I currently have at school. I would have just kept it, but the plan through the school is completely free to me as the employee so the cost would have evened out either way. I'm glad I had it, because I fell and broke my finger 3 days after my old insurance ran out and had to get x rays and everything. I paid 20 dollars in co pay- without insurance it would have been over 1,000!

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 14, 2014

Now that's an interesting idea - so you got independent Kaiser insurance for 2 months? I would be worried that it would take so long to "kick in" that I would already have my new employer's insurance by the time it started. My husband pays about $200 for his independent insurance. The weird thing in CA is that I currently have Kaiser SoCal and will be switching to Kaiser NorCal - they are totally separate. It's pretty annoying right now...

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 14, 2014

I applied early and set the date that I wanted it to start. It started the day after my old one ran out.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

The COBRA paperwork I received from my NC job was over $1000 a month. I didn't pay anything while employed.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 15, 2014

I guess I'm probably too late for that since I lose my insurance in two weeks. I also run into the Kaiser NorCal/SoCal problem again. You can't get Kaiser NorCal without an address in northern California, but I still live in southern California. It's a mess. :rolleyes:

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 15, 2014

Where I live, you could enroll in 3 credit hours of online credits at the local community college and get really good insurance (I was in this situation when I interned and it was fabulous) for about 100.00 per month.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2014

Me too. I found HealthNet had good emergency-level plans at an affordable cost. These plans tend to have high deductibles, but cover most costs in case of hospitalization. I always paid a bit extra for a plan that also covered prescriptions since, in an emergency event, one would likely need some sort of medication.

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2014

What a great solution!

15. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

I've been between jobs quite a bit over the last few years, due to various reasons. I've never gone without insurance. One of my mental health meds was over $300 a month (and that's the generic!) without insurance. I currently work from home doing home daycare. With the new Obama health plan, my previous insurer, Assurant Health, had to quit doing business in my state. It turned out ok, because I was able to find a comparable-priced plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield. It has kind of a high deductible, but I certainly met it when I decided to have my gallbladder removed after several months of suffering. The resulting blood clot was not fun, but I don't know if I'd have been able to handle it financially without insurance. So, in short, I would definitely not skip the insurance, even for a few months. The health plan website was kind of a nightmare to get through . . . It was a lot easier to call up a rep and get covered that way.