Health challenges affecting teaching style.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Apr 20, 2019.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2019

Hello everyone, I should come more often. BUT I love my new job and some days come home exhausted because I have put everything into the classroom that day.

That is where the problem is. I had my gallbladder out during spring break (I planned it that way so I wouldn't miss any days at work). It made all of my health issues, which were attributed to the gallbladder SO MUCH WORSE. I am now down to a list of maybe 20 things I can eat that don't cause pain, cause nausea, or increased acid in my throat. Some days I can only eat one meal. I am doing all the right tests, and taking the right meds and I STILL feel this way. Doctors suspect my LES to my stomach is broken and I have a disease called gastrophersis which has only a handful of treatments and no cure.

My admin has been fantastic and supportive, so has the staff. I on the other hand am terrified. I felt forced to resign from my 1st teaching job due to a car accident causing carpel tunnel, I couldn't write on the board, so I used my overhead and had students write it on the board for me while I took their notes. No learning was harmed lol. Anyway, now I feel week and sometimes dizzy if i am up to much. I am teaching the same things but not circulating the room much. Even the students tell me to stay seated they will come to me. Now all of my classes are very high need certificate of completion students so no class is over 10 students. I have arranged a cool place to sit by me, I still circulate a few times an hour, just not the entire hour. The content of my lessons hasn't changed. I still get up and actively supervise when we are sewing or cooking, but the math classes later in the day don't get me moving much.

I need ideas how to manage how little I am able to circulate and what best teaching practices require. Term is about to change and my classes are about to get bigger. So I will need to move more to see everyone all the time.

Any suggestions. The classes I am worried about is a special elective I created called Sentimental Quilting where students will take old t-shirts, old clothes of a family remember and flannel sheets and make a summer weight quilt. I will need to be moving more to watch students on the sewing machines but may not have the energy at the end of the day. So best suggestions to be able to do it anyway.

Thanks

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 20, 2019

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. I had to endure pain, acid, limited foods and limited quantity of foods - for 3+ years before the doctors even thought it could be my gallbladder. My symptoms were alleviated when I had it removed so I’m really sorry that removing yours made your symptoms worse.
    Any chance you could move desks around perhaps in a circle around your desk? Or have students come to you to show you progress of their sewing every X minutes?
    When I broke my foot and had to be on crutches for 8 weeks, I pretty much used my teacher chair which had wheels as a wheelchair and used my good foot to push me around the classroom so I didn’t have to use the crutches. I made sure the desks were spaced far enough to fit me and the chair.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 20, 2019

I had my gallbladder out in 2001, and I’ve had issues ever since. I feel you.

I’ve also had to work with gout, kidney failure, gastrointestinal issues, and sciatica.

I’ve had to have kids change procedures for things and change furniture arrangements. Admin, kids, and coworkers were very helpful. Some of the issues were short term, and some were long term. I’d ask for help until things get better.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2019

Use the chair with wheels around the room, that is brilliant! Awesome idea

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2019

I have been asking for help. I just hate that I am not watching them work in real time, and for at least one senior it is affecting him. He needs me to hover, but if I use the chair as a wheel chair I can hover again.

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Apr 20, 2019

I think this shows kids that with a disability, you can still do your job (or any job.) You just have to find a way to do it! If your admin is good with this, then go for it. Everyone will grow in leaps and bounds in the new situation.

wldywall likes this.
  8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 24, 2019

Thankfully I haven't had to face this type of situation but I think you are stressing over this for no reason. Everything you are doing still produces great results, you ARE teaching and the students are learning. What's even more, the students are understanding and accommodating, so is staff and admin.
    I say do what you can but without forcing yourself doing too much.