Health Book with Visual Supports?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Aug 14, 2010.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

I am looking for a VERY LOW LEVEL (the most basic thing ever) book that might have worksheets or text about basic health concepts (drugs, nutrition, deodorant/hygiene, etc)

I SWEAR that Mayer-Johnson used to have something on their website about health, it was one of those "in-house" books that has the coil binding, tons of PCS supports with the text, etc. It had a tan cover. Maybe I'm going crazy.

I just found out that the "Elective" they picked for my kids is HEALTH. (????) Not music, not art, not computers... HEALTH.

At any rate, the request to pay me for the sixth teaching period to assist with differentiation (basically to lose my prep so I could go with my kids to electives) - was denied. Therefore, the teachers are "on their own" because the district doesn't want to pay me more. Obviously, I won't let my kids flounder, but I want to do the minimal amount of work needed to make my kids successful in electives (because I want my time to be spent on the stuff they do in my classroom!) I will do what i need to do for them to succeed, but don't want to be spending massive amounts of time modifying stuff, coming up with projects, etc.

Ideally, there is a book out there that has these concepts in modified/low-level form, with picture supports (5 out of 8 kids read at a K-1 level, 3 don't read at all).

Any suggestions??I Looked at the Remedia stuff and it's all too high (3-4 grade reading level).

BASIC BASIC BASIC.

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

Thanks for sharing, sk. I'd like something just a little higher. But what a good price. So I ordered one. Got a used copy off of Amazon - there's one more reasonable one left!

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

Haha I saw it! For $10.38??

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

It's pretty low but that's the best bet in a class where my kids aren't supported, you know? Like things I know they can do on their own...

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

Have you checked out Aimee Solutions before? There might be something that that would be useful.

Here is the link to their food/nutrition page: http://www.aimeesolutions.com/foodandnutrition.html They have other themes too like self awareness that would fit in to "health".