Heading to the Scholastic Warehouse Sale...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Picabo, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

today! I've written down dozens and dozens of titles from all of the 5th grade suggestions, and feel pretty ready.

However, I would love to know what you believe is the ONE book I should not leave the warehouse without!

Thanks a bunch!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

You've probably been there and back by now. Hope you found some gems! I've been to many of these sales and sometimes spent a lot of money and sometimes spent a few bucks. For anyone else out there, it won't be like a book store so you can't necessarily go with a list. Have some ideas of genres or series that you want to complete and cross your fingers. Let us know what you found!

4. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I just came from the one in Mpls. and boy was I disappointed. They had probably 10 of those bookfair display cases; I thought it would be larger. Are they all that small?

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

Here, the big sale is in December and a smaller one in May. They tend to include lots of current books - the same ones they are selling at the book fairs but at 50% off. However, each warehouse stocks different books so you still can't count on the inventory. I still go to every sale because of the unpredictable factors. Sometimes they have large promotional items for books (free) or hugely discounted pens/erasers/pencils for my prize bin.

6. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Well, I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed with the selection I found. It turns out that their bigger sale is in December- as Maryhf indicated.

I was able to grab a few Artemis Fowl books, two Avi books, two Pendragon books, a few books by Andrew Clements, and a handful of miscellaneous titles.

My oldest daughter, who's going into 6th grade, proclaimed that I had gotten several really good books, but wondered why I hadn't gotten more! The selection just wasn't there...

All of the Harry Potter books were there- in hardcover only! So, I passed those up. I think I'll check out my local used book stores to fill in the gaps I have in my library.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

I had posted in the original thread about this one not usually being great. I went my first year teaching (as well as last year I believe) and was sadly disappointed. Most of their inventory was sold at the previous (May) one. The one towards December is usually good too.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

Picabo, it does sound like you got some good titles. I'm a firm believer in stocking my classroom library with books that students enjoy reading even if they aren't classics or award winners. Lots of variety!

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

that's how mine was too.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

I went in and spent so much money... I spent $275, and it was my own money, as my budget for the year was used up.... never again! Well, maybe next year.

I went a few months ago, so the selection might have been better then.

11. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 28, 2007

The nearest Scholastic sale is three hours away from me. :(

However, I hit the Waterfront Mission just right today.... I bought over 60 books at 25 cents each.... I swear they look brand new! I think a book store must have donated a bunch of children's books! I was so excited! :D

12. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

The one in Cincinnati just ended and it was great. They had a lot of quality books for a dollar each. I guess it's kind of hit/miss depending on the quantity of books in each warehouse and the time of year.

13. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

SouthernTeach- sounds like you scored a bunch of cheap books! That's terrific.

Mr. D.- I think you're spot on. The warehouse I went to in Sacramento had quite a few books, but not the quality titles that I had hoped to find. I was told that the selection is better in December, so I'll be on the look out then.

14. yoda

yoda Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

December sale

I highly recommend going to the December sale and be sure to go early. The longer the sale runs, the supply of quality books dwindles (Cincy area). I use my trade book money during this sale. :D

15. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be ready the next time around. BTW, what is your trade book money?

16. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Jul 30, 2007

The Scholastic sales are so unpredictable ... but somehow I still manage to spend money. Even when I think the selection isn't very good, I end up shelling out $50 or $75. The best one I ever hit was a May sale two years ago, when they had a 25-cent section that was chock full of Magic Tree House books. I got lots for kid gifts, guided reading sets and a bunch for Summer School incentives. I was spoiled by that sale, because I haven't found quality even approaching that ever since, at either the December or May sales. This year our warehouse had a second year-ender in early June ... I trudged out there of course, thinking I'd miss something, and it was just junk. I feel proud of myself for not going to the current one. A lot of times you can get just as good a deal with the monthly catalogs if you order the 95-cent specials, or keep an eye on the online deals.

17. yoda

yoda Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

In my school district, we get money to spend on books and instruction based on the number of kids that we have. The trade book money comes out of school fees. Last year, I had $115 to spend on books.