Head Start Teachers. What do you do on your first day of class?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wyvern, Aug 16, 2014.

1. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Aug 16, 2014

On your first day of class what do you do? What does your day look like? If your class is anything like mine, you might have 4's and 5's but you also may have 3's and very young 3's who are actually still functioning at a two year old level. What does the beginning of your day look like? What do you with children as they come in, in drips and drabs? How do you hold the entire groups attention when this is their first classroom experience and they just want to run around and check out the room? What experience and techniques do you use specifically that helps with this age and behavior range, to build involvement, listening and learning the school routines together. When you gather for the first time as a group, how do you introduce yourself? What is your activity? I'd like to hear.

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 16, 2014

I have taught headstart in the past, but I teach public preschool now, although the first day of school looks similar in both settings. I have students ages 3-5, with developmental ages ranging from 6 months-4 years.

As my students come in on the first day, all of the bus riders will come together, then car riders slowly come in after that. I help each child find their cubby, then show them to the table where I have a piece of paper that says "I drew this on the first day of school" and crayons. This is not how I will start the rest of the days, but it's how I like the first day because it keeps them occupied and gives me a chance to help incoming students and talk with any worried parents. I never give students the chance to "run around and check out the room". That's not a choice. After all the students are there, we move to the carpet and talk about how to sit on the carpet, how to have a quiet mouth, and the classroom rules. We sing a good morning song and then play a game sorting pictures of good choices vs. sad choices into 2 baskets. We don't move to centers until after breakfast. Even then, it's a very structured process where we rotate groups through centers for 5-10 minutes each and practice cleaning up every center. Students are required to stay in the center I place them in. Again, this is not how I run my centers during the year, but it's how i structure the first day so that I can be sure to teach every procedure that I want them to learn.

4. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Aug 19, 2014

PS0929, I really like the idea of sorting pictures. I think it's the initial circle time activity that I'm looking for new ideas in. That's a good one. Thanks!