Head Start Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by emmakate218, Aug 12, 2009.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

I have an interview this coming Monday for a teaching position at a Head Start. I'm not worried about prepping for the interview because ECE is a passion of mine, but the only worry I have is that the position requires the teacher to have a physical and TB test before the job offer is finalized. It just seems silly because most people applying for jobs are unemployed, which means they have no insurance. I'm one of those people! How on earth would I go about getting a physical and TB test if I'm offered the position? Do you find out the results of the TB test immediately? If I'm offered the position, could the results potentially delay a final job offer?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2009

Emma, I know that there is a district here which requires physicals before you're hired (even as a substitute) and you have the choice of going to your own doctor and having them fill (and I believe if you had a physical within a certain amount of time before hiring that that will count) out a form or going to a doctor which the district will pay for. So maybe they will pay for your doctor's visit and TB test if hired or at least get you into a doctor's. I'm not sure if it would delay employment, though. Good luck with the interview!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

Good luck!

I have never heard of having to get a physical or TB test. Can you go through the school?

5. Quiggs

Quiggs Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I had an interview with a daycare today. They require a TB test, a physical, and a drug test. I too was wondering whether this comes out of my pocket or not?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

This is standard pretty much of most districts I think. I was in the districts I have been hired in. And no, it does not delay anything. Maybe you could go to the health department and get the shot? Good luck!:rolleyes:

7. newprschteacher

newprschteacher Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Just want to add my 2cents-- drug tests, physicals and TB tests seems to be required by all childcare centers. I have worked in California and am currently in NC. In both places, I had to do all of the above. In fact you also have to pay for your own background/criminal check test. In California I had to shell out $100 and in NC about $40.

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Not sure about for headstart but I have worked in two centers and I've had to pay for the physical and TB test. One center did reimburse a percentage of the physical back. Headstart might be different though because it's a county(state?) agency. The TB test is really simple, they do it and then you have to go back two days later to have it checked - takes like a minute.

9. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Our county health department gives TB tests for a nominal fee. The results show up pretty quickly if you have it. Physicals would probably have to be thru a doctor. It's a Catch-22 system, isn't it? You need a job to afford insurance to see a doctor, but you need to see a doctor in order to get the job:huh:

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Thanks for all the replies, y'all.

Head Start is a federally funded program so one would think if they require physicals and TB tests of their employees, they'll fund it. I guess I'll find out Monday.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

I worked for a Head Start inside a CPS and they required a TB test EVERY 2 YEARS. No, they didn't pay for it. At one point they provided vouchers for the parents, but stopped that too. I've been exposed, so I needed a Chest X-Ray, which insurance won't cover. Good thing I got out of Head Start and back into the state funded pre-k.

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

I just checked about TB testing with my local county health dept. and it only costs $20. I don't mind paying that if I'm offered the job. I wonder about getting a physical though.

13. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 12, 2009

When I applied for head start I think they paid for both but that was also five years ago. Urgent cares around here Oklahoma do work physicals for $25---maybe you have someplace that

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

Glad you checked. I thought that was the easiest way to go. As for a physical, I am surprised that they would have you do this... Can you just have your doctor fill out the paper work like they do for your child's physical at school? :):)

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

That's the thing, I don't have a doctor! :) Not having insurance blows...

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2009

Ok... how about the local doc in a box... they usually do physicals around this time of year for $25-$40 for athletes. Suit up and make a few calls. Then, put this out of your head. GET the job, and then, see what they have to say. They may have a plan in place. All the best!

17. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

Good luck EmmaKate! I taught Head Start for 8 years and loved the program, and the kids! We had a health office that gave free TB testing 4x a month. Ask at the district who is hiring where you can get it done. I'm sure they are asked all the time. I was told yesterday (for a subbing job) they needed a copy of a TB test less than 4 years old. Thanks goodness I found it in my old file in my desk and it's still valid. :)

18. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I had to do this too for my job teaching pre-K. The center that I am working at paid for it all so maybe head start will too. My friend is teaching Head Start this year and hers was paid for too.

19. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

Thanks for the replies again, y'all.

I stopped worrying myself about the TB test and physical. I realized that if these two things are expected of me prior to the interview, the director would have asked me to have those things done beforehand and to bring results.

My interview is Monday and I have to say that that's the worst day of the week to have an interview because you spend all weekend fretting about it! It's only Friday evening and I just know I'm going to be driving myself nuts all weekend long. I'm not worried about the interview really, but I just want to get it done and over with so I know whether or not I have the job! He he! I know they will select quickly since on Tuesdays, the board meets and new hires must be approved by them. Plus, school starts the following week. I just wonder who else is my competition since there is a wide range of education levels and experiences of Head Start teachers. I think the minimum qualification is a CDA and the preferred is an AA or BS/BA in ECE. I just don't think many people apply to work at Head Starts (I had to really search for this Head Starts employment opportunities on the web, not an easy find) and this particular location is in a rural community...45 min. away from where I'm at and I'm 30 min. away from downtown Austin. I just keep trying to convince myself that I do have a shot at it. I keep thinking, "Why wouldn't they want me? Early childhood education is what I'm all about as a teacher." So, all weekend long, I'll be hoping that's conveyed during the interview.

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 14, 2009

IF you're anywhere near a Walgreen's with a clinic inside, they have a special on the school/sports/work physicals right now for $30. I think the ones inside CVS have a similar special right now.

It's a pretty standard requirement... but they just want to know that you can physically do the job. (are you breathing? Can you pick things up?) TB may be a federal requirement, everywhere I've ever worked with kids has needed one. I test positive, so I got through my health department, they do x-rays (which I need but you shouldn't) cheaper than anyone else.

But wait til you're hired, it'll have to be on their paperwork anyway ;)

21. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Aug 14, 2009

Good luck EmmaKate!! The tests will be done after you get the job. You do have great odds of getting this job because you are a good teacher and because you are certified. The minimum requirement is a CDA but I know here in GA they are wanting assistants to have CDAs now and teachers to have at least a two year degree. They really are wanting certified teachers which also gives you a big leg up!! I agree that Monday interviews just make you think about it all weekend. I hope that a decision is made quickly and that you can start planning for your new class!! I will be thinking about you.

22. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

Thank you so much clarnet73 for the tip about the Walgreen's clinic! I didn't know they had those!! I just checked and unfortunately, they don't have the Walgreen's with clinics in my area. I checked CVS though and they have the same type of clinic available! I'm really happy to see things like this...it helps a lot for those without insurance.

Thanks mom2alex! I try to tell myself all those things, but then I also tell myself to not get too cocky. He he! I have a friend who gets peeved with me whenever I build myself up only to pull myself down. Why can't I think I'm awesome? :)

Thanks. :)

23. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 14, 2009

Emma, I've been insurance-less for the past year, too... fortunately I haven't needed to go to the doctor, but the clinic was just what I needed to get my physical for school.

Good luck with your interview! Be yourself and your professionalism will shine through ;)

24. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 14, 2009

Don't worry about them until you are offered the job. I think most Head Starts pay for them--mine did.

And, about getting the job. I used to supervise the selection of candidates for teachers. If you have a BS in ECE, you stand a very good chance of being hired. Just relax, and answer the questions, don't panic, and you will do fine.

25. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I didn't read the whole post...so sorry if this is repeated.
    Check your local state health department.
    They should be able to provide you with a physical and a tb test and your fees would be based on your income.

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 15, 2009

Hi! Hope you hear something soon!