Head Start Blues

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Master Pre-K, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

Hi All,

I am back, and feeling blue. I can’t believe I just left another awful Head Start job. They are all the same! Very violent kids, unsupportive parents, uneducated co-workers, no help from admin. Locations are depressing and dangerous and the paperwork is never ending.

I wish I could find a decent job in ECE that has good pay, benefits and allows me to actually teach!

whizkid likes this.
  3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 24, 2019

I’m sorry you’ve had such bad experiences. I saw one of your other posts stating that you don’t want to teach public preschool. Can I ask why? Although the population can be similar to headstart, there’s often more district support and a similar salary schedule to k-12.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

Thanks...

I want to retire soon and I don’t want to get back into the state teachers’ retirement system. In my state, you’re ineligible for your Social Security if you work as a teacher because of the deductions for your pension. I won’t be there long enough to earn a pension so it’s really unfair.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2019

So now I am interviewing for a Preschool For All program. I think it has some potential because it is in a safer location. I am going in with my eyes and ears open.

6. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 25, 2019

What state if I may ask.....?

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2019

Illinois

8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 25, 2019

I’ve only ever taught in public preschool or headstart in Title 1 schools, so those are the populations I’m used to and love. It’s definitely difficult though, and not for everyone. We had a teacher who had taught preschool in a private school come to my school last year and she left by November because she couldn’t handle it.

Have you taught in preschool settings prior to your headstart experiences?

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 25, 2019

Have you tried actual pre-k programs, rather than head start? I don't know much about ECE but my state does have some schools that offer pre-k.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2019

So nice to hear from you again! Good luck with the job.

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 26, 2019

I taught Head Start for 3 years and PFA for 1 year, and I actually preferred Head Start in many ways. There was a lot more freedom . PFA is more strict with what you can or can not do with the kids curriculum wise.
    Obviously, as far as support and resources go, that would be different no matter where you go because it depends on who's working those admin jobs.
    In any case, if I were to go back to Pre-K, I would go back to private school. That was where I enjoyed it the most, but I didn't hate Head Start. I did stay for 3 years :)

PS: Which part of IL are you in? I'm also in IL

otterpop likes this.