head lice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jessiiteach, Mar 30, 2012.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Mar 30, 2012

There is a student in the neighboring class who I overheard tell her teacher that her cousin has head lice. She was scratching her head during the conversation but mentioned that she and her cousin were treated. Fast forward two weeks later and she is scratching her head like crazy. She is not my student and when I mentioned it to her teacher the teacher said the parents already know. I didn't say anything more, especially because this teacher has decades of experience.

So I am curious to know how you all treat a head lice situation?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2012

Our students get to stay at school the day that we find lice. They can return the next day if they are treated.

I worked at one school with a lice outbreak. It was totally gross but I just used hair gel and hair spray every day to keep my hair dirty. Each student had their own garbage bag for their jackets and backpacks. It took 2 weeks before the principal told parents that if their child wasn't treated then they couldn't come to school.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 30, 2012

Ours can't come back if there is nits. Have to have a doctors note or note from health department.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 31, 2012

I'm on an LTS assignment and apparently a few weeks before I started, they had a lice outbreak. Now my aides are obsessed with it and continually think they or the students have it.

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 31, 2012

I don't recall ever having my school shut down because of lice in elementary school (and there were several occasions when students had lice), but we did frequent "lice checks" where we would get in line with our pencil and wait for a teacher to use the pencil to comb through our hair. Very weird, now that I look back on it.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 31, 2012

Ah, the joys of teaching!;)

I don't think we're as aggressive as we should be. We had it pretty badly a few years ago and the problem was it just cycled-the younger sibling brought it home, the parents would treat it but 2 weeks later the same student would have it again because she/he'd be reinfected by a sibling or a classmate. We had to spray the rugs every evening and I took out all the stuffed animals, bean bags, etc. I felt really badly for the parents that had to treat over and over again. But now I am really good at identifying when a kid has eggs! :thumb:

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 31, 2012

Our school nurse visits each classroom once a month and checks all heads.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2012

If a student has lice, they are sent home. They can return after treatment if a check is "clear". All students in the class of the infected student and the classes of any siblings are checked.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2012

Our policy is very similar to MrsC's school. We also check any students who share a class with the student with lice and the nurse will spot check students at the recommendation of any teacher.

11. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 31, 2012

Kids can stay with nits (we send a note home), but they have to leave if they have live lice.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2012

Our state changed the laws and we can't force students not to come or send them home if they have lice. We can call and tell parents and it's their choice if they are going to pick the child up. This lead to 13 out of 18 students having lice in my classroom a few yrs ago. I wore my hair in Princess Leia buns for six months.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2012

We have never had full class checks. We have a few students who seem to have lice all the time, which is sad. They come to me with itchy heads, I send them to the nurse, the nurse sees just nits at the moment so they come back to class, and then they hatch shortly thereafter (of course), so the next day when their heads itch I send them to the nurse and she sees critters so they're sent home. They are "treated" and come back the next day. Repeat.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 1, 2012

My head is itching just thinking about this! I had lice in the third grade because the kid who sat next to me gave it to me. It was awful. The school policy was basically what MrsC described. I haven't encountered it as an adult, thank goodness. I've heard that a dab of rosemary oil behind the ears can ward them off, has anyone had experience with it?

15. juli233

juli233 Companion

Apr 1, 2012

my school had a nasty outbreak last year (including my daughter who got lice 4 times!) NO matter how careful we were(putting her hair up, using hairspray, tea tree oil, washing and changing sheets every night, removing and cleaning all soft surfaces, not to mention painstakingly combing every single hair...) there were alot of careless parents who would treat and then not comb or just comb casually and think that was enough.... let me tell you. LICE led to many tears and anger in our house, hours and hours of combing through her beautiful long hair(which she intended to donate but had to cut off after the last treatment as it was so damaged) It frustrated me to no end to have to keep treating my kid with the chemicals because other people are lazy. ok enough ranting
    At our school we phone the infected childs parents, send home a note to each child in the infected childs class. Then we go over the protocol with the kids, Keep hats and mitts and coats on your own hook, don't share hair or head gear etc That's pretty much all we can do.
    Our local health center will provide the treatment to the parents if they can not afford it(about 15 $ per treatement) but that doesn't help if you don't comb it properly, you have to comb every single hair on your kids head, You can just run a comb through and think that's enough.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2012

We had a kid with pretty bad lice earlier in the year. She and her sister (even though she didn't have lice) had to stay home until there were no nits. (She and the sister sleep in the same bed though.) I was annoyed however that they didn't check all the other kids in my class for lice. Luckily it didn't spread but the lice were so bad by the time we noticed it on the one girl I would have felt a lot comfortable if all the kids were checked.

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 7, 2012

I haven't seen too many lice problems, but we have had BED BUGS. ewwwww. They had to treat the whole school with chemicals.

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 8, 2012

:yeahthat:

*shudder*

I had lice nearly every year of elementary school. I guess they were just very attracted to my hair. I lived in a small town and an outbreak would cycle through the school at least once a year. My hair is thick, so my mom would spend hours upon hours combing out all the nits and bugs. *shudder* Horrible, horrible experiences. I am still terrified of getting lice again. We'd always use the lice shampoos, but they never really worked. I'm really hoping they've improved the formulas, because it seems like kids come back WAY too easily after being sent home with lice. They are extremely difficult to get rid of, in my experience.

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2012

Our school can't send kids home. According to the school nurse, headlice is not a medical issue, so we cant deny kids access to their education.

20. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Apr 8, 2012

At my school kid are sent home if they have head lice, and then the rest of the class is checked. It can turn into quite the event, especially if the child is in after school, because then all of the kids that attend after school have to be checked too. I feel like my school goes a bit overboard. We have to seal all pillows in trash bags (that the kids have used to sit on for reading times), wash all their book shopping tote bags, and not use headphones for the listening center. Basically we haven't brought out our reading pillows all year because their was once case of head lice about every three months.

21. juli233

juli233 Companion

Apr 8, 2012

massteacher, I don't think that's overboard, Having to deal with lice in my own child's life 4 times in one year It is painful, frustrating, and time consuming for the family that has to deal with it. Besides the fact that I had to keep putting chemicals on my child(even though she was never the cause of the outbreaks!)
    2 times my daughter got lice from COSTUMES at school.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 8, 2012

I agree with you...plus it is expensive...my daughter has had them twice...once in pre-k and once a few years later. Both times I was told by parents "Oh, yeah. My child had them and I just sent them to school after washing their hair." My daughter has extremely thick hair. She wears it in a ponytail all the time. It is way past her shoulders. The bad part is that it would be easier to treat if we could thin her hair when we catch it, but in the state of Oklahoma a licensed beautician can not cut her hair if they know she has it in the saloon. And I am not going to lie to someone. So, I spend hours combing her hair, cleaning her toys, putting her pillows and stuff animals in the dryer, and cleaning all her clothes. I spend a fortune on bedding sprays, treatments and retreatments...I check her hair twice a day for three weeks. Others don't work as hard to get rid of it and a few days later another child has it. :woot:

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 8, 2012

I so agree that some families don't take it seriously enough! My kids' elementary school use to have a problem quite frequently, 2-3 times a year. Luckily, my daughter only got it 1 time, my son never.

My ds' teacher wanted me to treat my daughter when the child next to her kept getting it. . . as a precautionary measure. I spoke with my peditrician & she said that was part of the reason that lice was becomine resistant to the chemicals. She never got it, that time around. She did get it a couple of years later. What a pain! She has long hair. It would take hours for me to comb through each & every hair on her head. Not to mention all the time it took to clean her room, plus the rest of the house. It took at least 2 treatments to get rid of it.

I probably spent the next 3 weeks going through her head every night, plus tossing her coat in the dryer.

Every time I got that letter I'd go throug her hair with a fine tooth comb, toss her coat in the dryer, clean everything.

Letting kids stay at school with nits is awful! That sounds like a decision made by a person who has never had to deal with lice at home!

24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 8, 2012

If any of you get lice, I recommend Not Nice to Lice. It's pesticide free, so it can be used repeatedly, but I've only needed to use it once, if I followed directions.

25. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Apr 8, 2012

Our school's policy calls for students to be sent home if dark nits are found. If I am not mistaken, the dark nits are the eggs. Students can not return until cleared by our nurse. We have to do head checks once a month in teh classroom and after a long holiday.

I

26. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Apr 10, 2012

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Thank you for explaining your experience with it. I have never had lice directly so I didn't realize what a process it is to eliminate the nits. I retract my statement on the school going overboard, as I realize that it's important to do all that we can to prevent the spreading of lice to others.