He BIT another student; She hit herself!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mrsammieb, Nov 10, 2006.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Nov 10, 2006

I have 2 kids who just aren't getting with the program. Today one of them the girl I'll call her "Carrie" she decided to not join circle time, fine but when she couldn't lead the letter song (she was leader today) she fell on the floor kicking and crying and hitting herself. That is so not normal. So I call the office and the nurse comes to get her. Everyone is in meetings today. So she comes back happy as can be. Her mom cancelled the parent conference we had scheduled last week and so we had one today after school. She called and said she wasn't going to be able to make it. She is in such denial. Pray for her.

The second bad thing that happened was my little boy who happens to forget everything. All morning I hear I forgot I wasn't suppose to slam the door, I forgot I wasn't suppose to write on my desk, I forgot I wasn't suppose to BITE SOMEONE! He bit another kid today. It was right as we were walking out the door. Uggh!

Thank goodness the afternoon was normal!

3. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

"Carrie" will learn...apparently, somewhere along the line..."falling to the floor kicking and screaming to get her own way" has worked. As soon as she figures out that it will NOT work in your class, she'll change her bahavior (at least for you) Sometimes it takes a while, but if you remain calm and tell her that you DO NOT TOLERATE her inappropriate behavior in your class, and you exclude her from being around other kids, she will get the point. Definitely try to schedule a meeting with parents, though. They need to know that she is acting that way in school. I'm SURE they've witnessed the same behavior at home :)
    As for the "biter"- that needs to be nipped (pardon the pun) in the bud ASAP....Biting is a serious offense. It can transmit diseases. Whatever your school's protocol for dealing with serious offenses should be implemented so the parents get the message. When a child is bitten "through the skin" he/she needs to be checked by a doc and sometimes requires shots. Are his parents receptive?
    Good luck!

4. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Nov 14, 2006

I had a little girl bite another girl. The biter was sent to the office to meet the learning director. The LD called parents of both students. I requested the learning director make the talk a scary one. Sometimes the principal/learning director are more gentle with "K" behavior issues. If I send them to the office, I want the kid to know it's serious.