HBO Documentary NCLB

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. Geography, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

Have you been watching this? I'm blown away!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

Is it on now?

4. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

Oh no, I was not aware...maybe it will be on OnDemand.

5. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

Is this it?
    Hard Times at Douglass High: A No Child Left Behind Report Card
    If it is ....It looks like it comes out on DVD in July '08....

6. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

Yes, that's it. I've just watched it and am so very thankful for my school, my students, and my situation.

60% of the school is being taught by non-certified substitutes!

7. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

Central time zone: it just went off

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2008

It's on again for the west coast feed - 9 p.m. out here. Mind-boggling. Bless the teachers who keep on trying. I am counting my lucky stars that I am where I am.

9. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

It sure does make you feel so blessed to have the teaching situation that you have. I just can't imagine trying to teach in that type of situation.

10. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 23, 2008

Is it on demand?

11. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 23, 2008

It's just on HBO. It sounds pretty interesting. I just put it on tivo.

12. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

I've got it tivo'd.

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2008

I live in a suburb of Baltimore and there were lots of articles in the local paper about this documentary. I was dying to watch it, but we don't get HBO, only showtime.

Kim

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2008

Thanks for the reminder :) Just set it to tape!

15. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

I have Charter cable and it is on the OnDemand list.

16. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 24, 2008

It's OnDemand here in Washington under HBO series. It's on until 9/07 so I think I'll definatley be able to catch it.

17. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

I caught it late last night... and wow, what a hopeless feeling I was left with. It seems as if there is a problem with no answer, no matter how we try to solve it.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

My dad mentioned this to me tonight...I hope I can see it or dvr it soon:)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

If teachers don't work together, there for sure will be no answer, and definitely none you'll want.

20. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

Thanks, I'll be sure to catch this OnDemand.

21. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

I watched it- horribly depressing. I work in a low SES high ESL area and I see many of the same problems, only our students are mainly Hispanic and not African American so this isn't just limited to one population- it's an epidemic. We also have problems attracting and retaining teachers, we have non-certified subs teaching classes.

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 29, 2008

I also just watched it. Thanks for posting about it, I begged a friend who has HBO to tape it for me. I used to have great respect for people who taught HS today, but man, so much more respect now. Especially if you teach in a low income area-I know this was probably representative of many urban schools.

It seems to me like instead of sanctions, the government should be offering help in-- if nothing else, student attendance. If you can't get the kids in the classroom-how do you expect us to teach them. One student passing the standardized testing in Algebra, 10% passing reading. 3 students reading on grade level when they enter 9th Grade. My hats off to anyone who steps up and agrees to teach in this situation. It seems to me we owe them more help, not less funding. I hooe it opens people's eyes to some of the obstacles educators have to deal with.

23. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 29, 2008

I was able to watch it on "On Demand"...it was so worth it, I need to watch it again and again. The crisis is so out of control and to put it all into perspective, this was-is a couple of years old.....!

24. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jun 29, 2008

I stayed up till midnight watching this the other night, and it was so depressing and just so hard to watch. The number of subs at the school was crazy, but I think the saddest thing was the English teacher who quite in the middle of the school year. I was doubtful that the students would care that he was gone, but many of them said that he seemed to care or that he would always help them, ect. If only he had know that before, maybe he would have stuck with it...

Without a doubt, schools like this need teachers who want to be there and are up for that challenge. How do we get more teachers into schools like this???? No doubt, that job is not just for any teacher just like I am not cut out for Pre-K, but where are the teachers who are right for this and how do schools get them and keep them? I would love to hear some opinions!

25. Tenured

Tenured Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

anybody asking "how do we get teachers there" should first ask "why won't I go teach there"

I will NOT teach at a school like that. I will leave the profession first and have no problem admitting that. I did not become a teacher to put up with that stuff. I love how Hollywood loves to make it seem that all these kids want is someone to reach out to them and care (like in Dangerous Minds, etc)

kids like these are there because their probation says "go to school or go to jail" but education is NOT their priority, it's staying out of jail.

I love how NCLB says that if a school is an F school for so many years in a row, they will transfer in "good teachers" from successful schools in order to train the F teachers. Besides the fact that A schools have bad teachers and F schools have great teachers, the moment my district says that I'm going to be transferred to a school like on this show is the same moment that they get my resignation.

26. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

If the state has such a big problem with it let them come in and handle it like one of the gentleman stated on the documentary. They won't come in because they don't have a solution either. I completely agree with this. Instead, the find it easier to just blame the teachers. I was furious when I listened to the principal talking during one of their meetings and placing the blame solely on the shoulders of the teachers. The other thing that infuriated me was the fact that only one of those teachers stood up to debate it with her. The rest just sat there. They didn't back him up. Then the principal states that she's just throwing this out there and there's not going to be a discussion about it. Hmph.

27. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I have to say...I am on the fence. I'll be the first to say that I would NEVER teach on the HS level, let alone in a school with so much crisis. BUT...my heart goes out to these kids. I cannot sit on here and say that all of them go to school because their probation officer says they have to. That is too general and it doesn't pertain to all those kids. You saw kids who talked about trying to make it to college, you saw a basketball team who were in tears when they lost the championship because they feel like if they don't make it playing basketball, then they don't have a chance in life. You saw young girls who have babies but try their hardest to make it to school everyday. You saw one young man who talked about going to the service, another young man who was on the debate team and sees a future in that. I mean, come on. You cannot turn your head to all the kids who may have no other choice but to go to a school with no books, no teachers and an incompetent administration.
    Yes, I do thank God for the school that I work in and the community I work for. But I can't just feel bad for the teachers. My heart is crying for those kids. We cannot forget the hundreds of kids in that school who do make it past their freshman year and they make it to senior year...and graduate! That says something. These kids are not hopeless, just helpless. Where is the support?????

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

Supporting the students begins with supporting the teachers. I teach in a middle school that feeds into a HS that's all to similar to the HS in the documentary. My kids are the lucky ones. The P at my school works her butt off to get grants and donations in order to provide things like text books and other supplies. My kids learn because we teachers have an amazing support system put in place by our P. She gets community volunteers to come in and act like big brother/sisters to these kids with no real parents at home, she provides breakfast and lunch, even during the summers, and most of all, she's always there for US, the teachers on the front line. We're still not perfect, but we've come a long way with these kids, but we wouldn't be even there with out the support of the admin.

We cannot possibly give those young moms, or that basketball team, or anybody else the support they need unless we're being given the support we need.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  29. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jun 29, 2008

I agree 100%

30. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 29, 2008

I agree!
    This also lets us know, how important our job is at the lower level!
    We need to make sure we have order and really teach! These students did not get to 9th grade and all of a sudden have themselves off grade level, that had to come from way back.....
    The one kid on there was a freshman for the 2nd or 3rd time, he was at the school daily but did nothing because he could NOT read! Give me a break, where was the testing .....or whatever he needed....
    Right in my state we have 8th graders who are 15-16 or ???, that is CRAZY! I had 2 students who were 13 years old this year!
    They both showed improvement but not enough....
    Every child we teach, we need to teach to the fullest because you do not know were he/she has been or where he/she is going....
    My opinion!

31. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

You hit the nail right on the head! They didn't just become illiterate in the 9th grade, they needed intense reading instruction in elementary school! Although it may seem like these kids just don't care and they don't want to come to school because they are just BAD, they don't come to school because they can't read. Would you want to go to school and sit there and look at books when all you see is a whole bunch of words on the page, but have no idea what the words say??? I wouldn't. They are teaching these kids spanish, but they can't even read english well. It's all ridiculous to me.
    And the saddest thing of all is how the school pushed those kids on through graduation when they knew most of those kids just barely passed, can't read and are not ready for the real world. I don't blame those kids, I blame the idiots in adminstrative positions.

32. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

My district doesn't provide the intervention needed for kids that are falling behind. This year I had 2 students that received far below basic on the state exams. They read on a 3rd grade level(I teach 5th) but the district makes us promote them to the next grade level. Maybe they are only 2 years below grade level now, but when they get to high school who knows how far behind they will be?

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

Yet another example of how the school systems fail the students by way of failing the teachers. If you, as their teacher, had been given the support and tools you needed to help these kids, maybe you would have been able to do more with them. Even just the ability to retain students would be a step in the right direction. *sigh* I just don't know the answer for such a large scale problem. Like I said before, my school has made some large gains, but that's because we had a LOT of money for supplies and tutors (through grants) and organising things on such a small scale is always easier than on the large scale. One thing I'm sure of though, is there is no "one size fits all" solution.

34. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jun 29, 2008

Im glad to see that there are people who didnt miss the point of this "show" there is too much "passing the problem along" going on in these lower income schools. The teachers and students are paying for it......

35. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

I teach at a rural school that is 85% low SES and 80% African American and it is getting higher. Moral is low and is still on the way down- I watched this and complete see that this is the kids I have in my classroom in ten years. I teach fourth grade math and when I got my first class I only had eleven students - two are special ed - one just tested into GT program. The other eight need intervention but are so far behind. I believe that me as a first year teacher did her best but it was not enough for my kids. I saw three parents the whole year - Mainly the 2 Sped and 1 GT. I also only had the one gt pass the Math test in third grade - I had 3 pass it this year. But our school is still unaccpectable because of this. Most of the fourth grade had been held back or will be next year because of TAKS but we will be told to move them on because they can't fail again because of numbers. We also can't test students because we are tagged by the state for having too many African American's in SPed. Teachers come and go and few stay year to year. What do you do???? It scares me to think about this and what will happen to my kids in a few years.

36. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jun 29, 2008

I teach at a 99% African American school with I think 80% free/reduced price lunch. It's challenging. But we need teachers who care enough to do so; it's not for everyone. Some teachers aren't strong enough to handle the job, but for those of us who are, we don't really need to be criticized or judged.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

Though there's the beginnings of a good point there: we need whole communities asking "What can I do to make this a school to which I'd be comfortable sending MY kids?" - not in a spirit of condemnation but in a spirit of seeking authentic solutions, bit by bit by bit.

38. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

As usual, the devil is in the details...

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

something like that. I work in this type of school...so I'm a bit agitated when people start generalizing and giving up on everything and everybody associated with the inner city.

41. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jun 29, 2008

Exactly my point! I don't want to come off as mean or bitter; it's just that.