Having your own classroom. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kat03785, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

This is my 2nd year teaching and I've been at the same school for both years. For both of these years I've been co-teaching with the same person. I absolutely love where I work and the people I work with but I'm really not enjoying the whole co-teaching situation.

When I was hired, the person I'm teaching with was supposed to be only a part time floater between us and 1st grade but we had a really crazy class last year and he ended up being more of a full time co-teacher.

I love working with him and we are good friends but I can't help but really want my own classroom. My head of school loves that we are all together so I don't think we will be dividing up the kindergarten for next year. I have a meeting with her this Friday to discuss next year so I'll be interested to hear what she has to say.

I'm starting to dislike sharing more and more and I am considering getting a job elsewhere just so I can have my own classroom. What are your opinions? Is it worth starting over somewhere else?

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Mar 24, 2010

I feel the same way you do. I have a co-teacher, and while I like her very much personally, our teaching styles are very different. I don't want to teach with her next year.

I'm going to discuss it with my principal at the end of the year to see if I can have my own classroom.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Mar 24, 2010

I have never co-taught with anyone before. I know for a fact that I would be horrible at it because I am such a control freak! As far as you go, however, I definitely think you should bring it up with your principal. Be very positive about your co-teacher, but state your feelings about wanting your own classroom. She may still say "No" but at least you will know that you tried. As far as starting over, I definitely think that it would be worth it to start over if you really want your own classroom and you get the opportunity. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to leave. Good luck to you!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 24, 2010

I equate having a co-teacher to the police who work as partners. You have such an important job to do that you have to be close enough to risk your life for each other.

That being said, it is not often that I would be able to develop that kind of relationship with another teacher. Only once in my career have I had such a relationship. Your P may not realize that you are not happy. Be sure to let him/her know.

6. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

Thank you guys for your opinions! It really helps. I really love who I teach with so I would hate to have to give that up. We make a great team but part of that is because we are so different. I'd love to still work together but not share the same space.

I have a meeting with my head of school tomorrow morning that was already scheduled to talk about next year so I'm hoping it will have a positive outcome!