Having Trouble Finding Plays Appropriate For My Stage

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by etwilson, Feb 2, 2010.

1. etwilson

etwilson New Member

Feb 2, 2010

I am looking for a few great plays of all varieties to build the theatre program at my school but my stage is very old and limited in space. I am also having trouble finding plays that I love that are appropriate for anything younger than a college level. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2010

When I directed the plays at my school I had a super-small stage with no stage-right entrance or exits. I got most of the plays I used from Pioneer Drama Service. I did have to order single copies of lots of plays to read before I found some that I liked. A few that I did in the past were "How to Eat Like a Child" which used minimal, representational sets (it's written as a musical, but I did it as a straight play), "The Ransom of Red Chief," and "The Very Great Grandson of Sherlock Holmes." The plays are out there; you just have to scour for them.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 3, 2010

Are you looking for one acts, comedy, drama, musical, what? We have a fairly small stage, and we've done: Our Town, Taming of the Shrew, A Christmas Carol, several one-acts, Grease, South Pacific, and currently Into the Woods. The high school I attended also had a fairly small stage, and we did The Tempest and Grand Tenament (not appropriate for most high schools...) We also had a tiny little black box, and in it we did The Odd Couple (two versions, with male and female leads) and An American Daughter.

We ordered from Pioneer Drama one time, but we did not find anything we thought was worth performing. Their quality varies wildly. They are much, much better than Brooklyn Publishers. Their scripts were full of type-os and generally not worth what we paid for them.

5. Debra

Debra New Member

Feb 3, 2010

I think Pioneer Drama Service is an outstanding source for scripts for elementary, middle and high school. They have an eclectic variety of both musicals and non-musicals, and their quality is far better than it used to be.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2010

I use Eldridge publishing for middle school plays. The ones I've used have been comedies and they've been very well written. You can even read the first few pages online.

7. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Feb 5, 2010

We are currently doing "The Almost True Tale of Robin Hood" and we have a somewhat small stage. It is really funny and our kids are having a blast with it. Our drama teacher order the script books for her drama class, and we decided to use it for our spring production.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 5, 2010

It's been awhile since we used them. It's possible they have gotten better. The things we got from them were just very silly, and seemed more appropriate for elementary or middle school.