Having to do catheter on an 8th grade boy

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Teach96, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

So Monday was our first day back and as I walked in the front door the nurse stopped me to tell me my student who wears pull-ups now needs to be catheterized each day.

Problem 1: He is 8th grade
    Problem 2: IQ in the 80s so he is socially aware
    Problem 3: No male aides
    Problem 4: We are not medical personnel
    Problem 5: Nurse is only on campus twice a week, so after 2 days we need to do this on our own

I thought that my paraprofessionals would have to do this no matter what. I found out that they can choose to be in charge of this job. If they choose to do it they will get a 7.5% raise.

Problem 6: Neither of my paraprofessionals will do it

Next option is to ask other paraprofessionals on campus. I said that I would be trained to do it and asked if I would get paid a stipend (just curious). I was told no but then I realized that if I am the one to do this it would be during my prep period and then according to our union I would be working during that time. So I think I have a case to get paid for my prep.

Problem 7: I am very squeamish and don’t know if I can do it, plus I leave campus every day by noon to do my district level job and this has to be done no earlier than 11:30 (so I wont always be able to do this)
    Problem 8: no one in the severely handicapped classroom was willing to do this

Now we need to ask the Mild/Moderate paraprofessionals to do it. I asked my coordinator what will happen if no one on campus is willing to do it.

Problem 9: they will swap out one of my paraprofessionals (who have been with me for 4 years) with one from another campus who is willing to do it (i.e. I will loose my aide)

Hopefully Monday will bring some good news that one of the M/M paraprofessionals is willing to do this and/or my stomach can handle the job (although I still don’t think I should be the primary person in charge of this but more of the back up). :dizzy:

What a way to start back to school!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

Honestly, it sounds like a job the nurse needs to do. It is an invasive procedure. Looks like the nurse will need to be making quick trips to your school to do the cath on days she normally doesn't come. I would not be allowed to do it. I can't even do tubefeeding anymore due to regs and I did when I started teaching my class. I think I knew of one para that did caths in my school but she had a home health background and they had her certified to do such procedures like that.

Others in the school should not be asked to do it. It is not their job, but the nurse's whether she is scheduled to be there or not. Someone with a nursing degree will need to do it. Or they would in my school system.

I'd check into that more if I were you.

4. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

I totally agree as does my father who is a Doctor.

They say that since it is something that parents can do at home that it is something that we can do.

I don't think it is appropriate for them to ask this of him or us.

thanks for the support.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

Wow. I would feel beyond uncomfortable doing this procedure. If I were the kid's parents I would NOT want his teacher changing his catheter. How do his parents feel about all this?

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 11, 2009

Why does it have to be done at school? Why don't the parents do it before school?

(sorry, I'm not sped-just reading threads and curious!)

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

What kind of catheter is it? One of my students has one and she is in kindergarten and learning how to do it herself. An 8th grader should be able to do it himself.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

I wouldn't want to do it either. I can understand your objections ESPECIALLY since it you are a female. I agree that others should not be asked to do this. It's not their job. It really should be the nurse's job. If you absolutely have to do it, I would demand that your prep be paid.

I'm curious though if JamieMarie's suggestion would work. I would think if it would have worked, they would have already tried it but who knows.

I'm crossing my fingers that they find a good solution for you.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 11, 2009

I definitely would not want to do it either. I have never heard of a school where there is not at least one nurse there during every school day. Is this common?

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

I have a HS girl who needs to be cathed everyday. We never have a school nurse, we call the county if we have a question. Her parents come up to cath her, which isn't typical in schools. The aide used to do it.

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 11, 2009

whoo hoo I could NEVER do that!

12. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

He has Other Health Impairment which causes him to wear adult pull ups. I have not spoken to the doctor but the mother explained to the school nurse that he is having back pain which means that he is not emptying his bladder and there for needs to be on a regular schedule.

From my understanding they are doing this every 4 hours and one of these times needs to be done in the middle of our school day.

13. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

My hope is that he can learn to do it with just visual supervision BUT until then we have to do it for him.

14. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

We have a school nurse 2 days a week and a nurse's assistant (a former parent) for 3 hours a day but she doesn't have any medical/nursing training.

Thank you CutNGlue....I appreaciate all of your sympathy. It makes me not feel like such a horrible person for not being comfortable with all of this.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

Wow. I am sorry you have this on your plate. I'll pray you find a solution that works for you.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 12, 2009

If I were a parent I would feel uneasy about a teacher (not a nurse) who is female doing this to my child. I'm surprised they haven't spoken up.

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

This is common in the district where I work - at least at the Elementary level. As a sub, I've sent kids to the nurse and they just get sent back with a note that the nurse is only there "on Wednesdays". I work in a huge school district and I was shocked to find that there is usually no nurse present at school. I often wonder if the parents are aware of this.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2009

We don't have nurses in our schools. We have had an educational assistant who was also a trained nurse assigned to our school when we had a student with medical needs, and she was the first called if there was a first aid emergency, but her role was not that of a nurse. The secretaries in the office deal with minor first aid and the screening of sick kids.

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 12, 2009

Well, a parent can also give a child oral meds or even a shot, but I can't do that. A NURSE has to do it.

20. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Jan 12, 2009

As someone in the medical field, administering cathethers are nurses and doctors job to do and not the teacher. I am trully appalled at this request.

21. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Jan 13, 2009

Well In Texas, as long as you have been trained and signed off to do it, then you can do it, but there must be 2 people on campus at all times that can do it in case one is out. We tube feed and do a cather in the classroom and a female CAN cather a male but a male cannot cather a female. We went round and round about this last year and got out Union Attys involved and the law says it is OK as long as we are trained and signed off on by a medical professional. And our contracts are worded so broadly, that we are kind of required to do it, without complaint. Now if I passed out everytime I did it, that might be another thing and then they would HAVE to find someone who could do it and I really had a harder time doing the tube feeding, but the kid is high functioning and does not have the dexterity to do either himself and he talks me through it if I get nervous or laughs if I forget a step. The one thing you must remember is if you screw up anything,it will not kill them, they might be uncomfortable but they will tell you and you can redo.

Sorry you have to do it, it did bug me too, but I have tried to find a silver lining in it. :)

22. Justine Cognito

Justine Cognito Rookie

Jan 13, 2009

Ugh, I am no help I just wanted say that it is a total bummer you are stuck between a rock and a hard place like this.

My former district had a level of aide that was Special Education Health Assistant, and those people were hired knowing that things like this would be part of their responsibilities.

Like you, I am squeamish. The aides do not get paid anywhere near enough, so I would probably end up doing it. Hating every second having to be in that position, of course.

23. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

Thank you I am trying to find the silver lining. :D It must be bugging him also because on day 3, instead of going to the nurse's office when told he went to his music class and hid in the side room. It took staff 25 minutes to find him. They were about to call the police as they thought they had looked everywhere. I asked our counselor, who has been working with him on other issues, to talk to him this week. :wow: This is one way to start the new year!

24. special_teacher

special_teacher Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

Where I teach, you have to have a nurse in the school all day, every day. If everyone refuses to do it, maybe it will shed light on the fact that there should be a nurse there every day, and they might change that? I have also heard of parents coming in during the day (on their lunch hour or something) to do caths and tube feeding where there was no nurse available.

Definitely get your union rep involved, to make sure you get paid for your prep!!

25. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009

That just breaks my heart (that he actually tried to hide). And this was from the nurse? I can't even imagine how humiliated he would feel having his teacher change his catheter.