Having the same students again

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by waterfall, Apr 18, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2011

My first year is almost over. It's been a really good year, but I'm already thinking of things that I might like to do or set up differently for next year. The problem is, I'm basically going to have the exact same students again next year. I'm in a k-5 program and for some reason I just didn't have any 5th graders on my caseload this year(so no one is leaving), and next year I'll only be getting one new kindergartener. I love my students, but I am very envious of all the other teachers that get to "start fresh" with a new group at the beginning of next year. I feel like the students know me too well for changes to be that effective, or that they'll be upset when things are changed. I'm also afraid that students will simply get "too comfortable" with me, especially given that they already feel more comfortable in a small group setting (like they feel that they are not in a "real" classroom, they can have more fun or talk more, etc.). I'm afraid that students will not continue to respect/listen to me after I've been their teacher for so long. If I stay at this school for awhile, I could have some of these students for up to 6 years! If you teach a big span of grades, how do you deal with having the same students year after year?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2011

With your students, you could always explain that now that they are a year older (most of them are), you have changed your expectations a bit.

In most cases, the rapport that you develop with some of your students is the reason that they enjoy school. That small group setting is the place where they can be successful and truly grow their self confidence.

4. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Apr 18, 2011

I am wondering the same thing, Waterfall. I am losing two next year to middle school, and I'm praying that one of my major behavior problems is gone (there is some talk of it, but I'm not holding my breath)! I will still have my major behavior problems though and hopefully no new students. I'm concerned because there are so many changes in procedures and routine I want to implement for next year and my boys are pretty resistant to change. I also am worried that we will both be sick of each other after some time. Two of my biggest behavior issues are only 2nd graders!

5. etcetera

etcetera Rookie

Apr 18, 2011

I often have students for 3 years-4 at that most. I agree with Mopar. That rapport is one of the key things that keeps them successful. You can mark new years by updating your room, beefing up your management system and giving them things to look forward to (we always do a feast near Thanksgiving and special activities at each holiday). Also-you can prep them before the year is out that there will be some changes-then when they come back in the fall it will be a bit expected. Maybe you can have something new and special that just 5th graders get to do-which the others can then look forward to? (just thinking...) The advantage of it is you already know where they are and how they tick... you can get started right away with them in a trusting relationship without having to walk on eggshells for those first few weeks.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 18, 2011

I feel your pain waterfall! My class is from 1st - 6th grade. I do enjoy my students but sometimes you get that one that you wish would go to another teacher the next year. My students have no other options until they finish the 3rd grade unless they are ready to go to general ed. without support. I've had one student since he was in the 1st grade. He is now in the 4th grade. I'm sure that I would have him until he is in the 6th grade due to his behaviours when he gets upset (swears and becomes aggressive). He has shown great improvement and only needs to be removed from the group a couple of times a month but the only other option for him is general ed. and they don't want him b/c he might have behaviours. Every few months he would say good-bye to me and tell me to have fun in my new school:lol:. I just tell him that I will be staying in my class until he is ready to leave.

7. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Apr 26, 2011

I was just thinking about this today. I am going to lose seven fifth graders this year. Most of them have been with me for two to three years, and one has been with me for four. It is a very different type of relationship than other teachers get to have - not just with the kids, but with their families as well. I realized today, as one of my students was talking, that this was probably the longest anyone dropped everything to just listen to her ideas. I think that, when you do that, you give kids power and importance- and making a child feel significant for ten minutes is giving them more than hours of being "on task" can. Don't worry, the kids will adjust to changes you make- just be firm about them.

8. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 3, 2011

I totally agree. I'm not afraid to admit to the students that sometimes my ideas don't work out as planned so we'll be doing it this way instead--- and they've always been really cool with it. I also like to change things up to avoid boredom! Especially when it comes to reward/incentive programs.

And I know what you mean about being a little jealous of teachers that get a brand new group each year. That being said - they never know what they're going to get and at least we have some idea! I also LOVE watching my students progress over time. This is my 3rd year teaching so I've had one gal from 6th to 8th grade and it's been really cool watching her grow.