Having students take class pet home

Discussion in 'General Education' started by katenar, Sep 24, 2007.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Sep 24, 2007

:help: Has anyone ever allowed their students to take the class pet home? We have two mice and the students desperately want turns to take them home to clean the cage and keep them company on weekends (which means I'm not stuck doing it every weekend - as much as I love them it's nice to get a break). I want to send home an "agreement" letter to the parents to 1 - get their approval for their child to and have them sign up for a weekend that works for them and 2 - some type of "Pet responsibility" type thing. I already have parents who said they don't mind but I sort of want an outline of what they need to do including supervising their child when they are interacting with the pets so nothing happens.

Does anyone have suggestions or a letter that they have sent home?

Thanks for the help!! :woot:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2007

I,personally,have never done this, but know of teachers that have done it. It seemed to have worked out great for them. You just have to outline very clearly what the students are expected to do. Do you have any students that you think are irresponsible?

4. katenar

katenar Cohort

Sep 25, 2007

Honestly none that I can think of that are super irresponsible. I have your usual 4th graders - sometimes they do better on some things than others. :rolleyes:

I just want the parents to realize that this is a responsibility not only on their child but on them as well. That way they have an option to opt out if they wish.

Could you perhaps ask those teachers that you know who have done this if they ever sent anything home and get a copy of it? I know your super busy too so any help is appreciated. Thank you!!

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 25, 2007

I like Fred (the class guinea pig) I want to keep him alive. Therefore, he does not go home with anyone except me. I had a former coworker who let the kids take her's home and one weekend he didn't come back. The kid's dog got ahold of him. That's why Fred never goes with them.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2007

kate, I'm in touch with those teachers anymore, but I'll see what I can come up with. I would definitely include a place where the parents can opt out. The parents know better than anybody if the child can handle something llike this. I wish you luck whatever you decide!

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 25, 2007

take photos of the pet before going home. That way you can do a quick 'replacement purchase' if one should perish while in the care of the child.
    My hermit crabs came back smelly and what I think was COOKED! I believe mom forced them to be left on the PORCH in the FLORIDA sun and child brought them back DEAD in the cage!

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2007

I have always had a class guinea pig. It used to go home with kids every weekend. One weekend, it was eaten by a child's dog, as the child, the dog, and the mom were putting on "annie" for the pig.

It now stays in the classroom.

I find that if I leave a big bowl of food and fill the water to the brim, I can leave the pig at school for a weekend and he'll be ok when I return. If it's a 3 day weekend or more, I take him home.
    Kim

9. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Sep 25, 2007

I left my hamster in the classroom and weekends and never had a problem....I didn't want to explain to a bunch of 5 year olds that why he didn't come back.. Leave plenty of food and water, and they will be fine.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

Okay.... I'm a HUGE animal lover and while I would love to get kids to learn to be responsible and enjoy animals too, I would be WAY too nervous to ever let them take my pets home. I don't even feel comfortable having a classroom pet. I WAS going to have my rabbit be a classroom pet, but the though of keeping her in a cage just didn't feel right.

Whoops, I strayed. Anyways, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with that. I once had my box of hamsters stay at my inlaws for a couple of days, and of course a few got eaten by the cat. :(

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

I would never ever let any child take my class pet home. I love them too much and they don't.

12. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 27, 2007

I have a class pet. It's a guinea pig. The deal is that if the kids wanna take her home for a weekend, the parents need to let me know. Some teachers just "assign" it to a child each weekend, but the way I feel is that if the parents haven't requested it, there's a reason. I'm not willing to just send her home with whomever...I have first graders. They're not old enough to be responsible for taking care of a pet on their own, so if the parents aren't willing to commit to it, she doesn't go. It works really well this way, too. :)