Having My Gallbladder Removed Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by OhThePlaces, Nov 24, 2013.

1. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Nov 24, 2013

I went to the ER in early October with an apparent gallbladder attack (severe pain... I thought I was dying, and I've had two children naturally!) The ultrasound revealed a bunch of gallstones.

I've had two more major attacks (thank God for perscription pain relievers and muscle relaxers) and it was recommended that I have it removed laparoscopically.

I am not allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight tonight because I'm going in for surgery tomorrow at 2pm. I'm going to be so hungry and thirsty!

Has anyone had experience having their gallbladder removed? I'm nervous! I'm an otherwise healthy 29 year old. The doctor said that the stones can probably be blamed on my pregnancies (my kids are now 2 and 4).

I'm nervous about eating after the surgery. Of course I won't be able to enjoy Thanksgiving, but this was the best time to schedule it, because of the holiday break... I'll only miss two days of school instead of 5+. I'll return to school next Tuesday.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2013

No experience with this, but my sister is currently in the hospital for the same reason. It looks like they want to remove her gallbladder as well, except she is pregnant. Since she is 39 weeks, they might end up inducing pregnancy and then proceeding. I´m sorry you are going through this but atleast once it is removed you won´t have to deal with it anymore. Hugs to you!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

Best wishes for a successful surgery and healthy recovery.:hugs:

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 24, 2013

My neighbor had it done years ago. She was up and about the next day and feeling better a few days later.

I hope it goes smoothly.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 24, 2013

I had mine out in 2001. Mine was complicated due to abnormally small ducts from liver to gall bladder, and I had a stone lodged in a duct. Mine was packed with stones. Same issue my grandmother had.

My mom, my BFF, a coworker, and my MIL all had theirs removed within a couple of years after my surgery. I had mine done over the summer, so I had about a month before school began. Mine was outpatient. I slept the first day, then felt decent after that. I had reactions to the adhesive for the bandages and a reaction to the pain medication and antibiotics. I'm always the weird one. I'm the queen of allergic reactions. The surgery itself wasn't a big deal.

My nurse gave me the best advice. She said that my back and shoulders would hurt from the CO2 buildup, and if I had someone pat my back really hard, it would help. It was a lifesaver.

Hope everything goes smoothly. You should still be able to enjoy thanksgiving. Just take it easy.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 24, 2013

My dad just got out of the hospital today after having his removed on Thursday. He was admitted through the ER Wed. afternoon.

Good luck with your surgery!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 25, 2013

Have a smooth surgery & speedy recovery.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2013

Prayers for an easy time and a speedy recovery.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2013

I had mine out in 2002, a few days before Christmas. The discomfort after the surgery was absolutely nothing compared to the pain I was in beforehand. Everything went very smoothly; I took only one of the painkillers they sent me home with. I hosted Christmas dinner, although my mom did help a lot with the prep work because being on my feet for a long time was a challenge. I was back to work right after the Christmas break.

Hope all goes smoothly.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 25, 2013

Good luck. I had mine out last year-it just stopped working and was giving me symptoms similar to gallstones. That was my first surgery ever and I was nervous, but all went well. It's amazing how easily they can remove things these days. Take the time to recover-don't push yourself.

12. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Nov 25, 2013

Thanks everyone! I went into school this morning and dropped off my plans. I am back at home relaxing until my husband comes to get me in a couple of hours. I picked up both of my kids and gave them a big squeeze since the surgeon said I shouldn't pick them up for several weeks.

Was anyone given a diet to follow in the days after surgery?

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2013

I had mine out about 9 yrs ago. I had those attacks you spoke of while pg!!!
    I had never been under so I took a long time to come out of it!!! First day night was rough. I didn't take any of their pain meds after first night, but after that I was ok. Diet pretty much back to what I was eating before minus the attacks!!!

Good Luck!!!

14. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 25, 2013

Yes, I am close to someone who just had it recently! It was very scary until she actually got the surgery, and everything has been GREAT since. When she was at the hospital, others kept commenting about themselves or a family member having the same surgery. It's very common and typically goes very smoothly. No special diet, just normal surgery recovery requirements like no heavy lifting (which you mentioned), bending over, proceed with activity as you feel comfortable, etc. Hope you heal up quickly! :)

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2013

Bison...my surgeon said because we learn to cook from our parents that's why so many in a family have it out. I know my mom, me and then my sis. I think my gma did and my aunt...

16. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 25, 2013

Hah I WISH I learned to cook from my mother! Then my cooking would be much better. :lol: We were told that in the case close to me, it's most likely genetic and due to age and gender because the person's diet is quite healthy. I know diet can be a contributing factor, but it's not the only one. Unfortunately, just being a woman is a risk factor. :unsure: