Having Doubts

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nasimi77, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2009

That's great, nasimi! Are you in AZ yet?

2. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 26, 2009

Jessica: No, not in Arizona just yet. My move day is Thursday, Oct 1st!:thumb:

Alice: My friend's realtor lives in a really nice apartment complex near a lot of great shopping, etc. Anyhow, she raved about this community and said for what I was paying in Cali I could afford a really nice place to live. I have seen the pictures and it is beautiful. :love: My new place is a 1 bedroom town home! I'll have a garage, and even a washer dryer!!! I'm prob most excited about that, lol!:lol:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2009

Nasimi, it sounds perfect!

Congrats again!!

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 26, 2009

Thank you, Alice. :) Yeah it seems like a wonderful place to live, I'm very excited. I've definitely paid my dues in terms of apartments I've lived in over the years. Heck, my last apartment I had to park on the street, sometimes 4 or 5 blocks away from my actual apartment? And washer dryer? Um, no. Had to haul my stuff to a laundro-mat....not fun..did that for 11+ years. Just amazes me what your dollar can buy in most other parts of the country. Anyhow yes, it will be very nice and I know God will provide for me in the tough times too.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

So excited for you! :)

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 26, 2009

:hugs:Sounds lovely! We cannot wait to hear more about your new place, your new school, your new class, and the new friends that you are sure to make! God bless you in your journey! Just cannot say it enough... Congratulations!

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 27, 2009

Congrats and welcome to Arizona! You are coming the best time of the year. I think it will actually get under 100 degress this week!!! :)

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

A washer and dryer makes it worth the money. I can't imagine having to live without a washer and dryer. I live in an apartment for five years, so I remember those days. Just this summer, we were having our utililty room tiled and I had to go to the laundry mat a few times. That was not fun. You will enjoy that amenity.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2009

That sounds like a great place!

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 27, 2009

Anybody who lives in SoCal will tell you an apartment home with washer dryer already in it is a luxury. At best you get W/D Hookup but you have to purchase the W/D yourself. $$. And, those places are high-end and waaaay out of price range. If you go without it for as many years as I did it's just that much more appreciated. Saves time and energy. Can throw a load in while working on other things. Gee, what a concept! I will indeed enjoy it DHE!:thumb:

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 27, 2009

:) Thanks, Jessica...yeah it is. Such blessings I feel very humbled right now. Got to say some good-byes at church today. *sigh* But, the enthusiasm from friends is amazing. Just more confirmation that this is right.:love:

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2009

Oh Im sp happy this is all working out for you! You will love it here! God byes were hard but you wont be that far away!
    Good Luck packing !

13. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 27, 2009

Thank you Dee Dee. :) We will have to keep in touch!:thumb:

14. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Sep 28, 2009

Nasimi..... Congratulations! I taught a 4/5 two years ago and loved it!!! Enjoy!

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 29, 2009

Thanks Mrs. Bran! I should send you a PM soon and pick your brain a little! Very busy in these next few days but I'll try and send you one. Glad to hear you loved it! :)

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 9, 2009

Hello from Arizona :)

Hi Guys, I just wanted to give you a quick update. I am now a 5th grade teacher! The administration made some changes because the enrollment went up even more so they were able to make my class all 5th and add a few more to the 4th class that had a few less. I'll be teaching Social Studies, Science, Reading and Writing. I'll be working in partner with another 5th grade teacher who will teach my kids math. (works for me since math is not really my strong point). Anyhow, I'm happy about the change. I didn't request it, just worked out that way. If I had to teach 4th/5th I would've done it, but as I began studying curriculum this week I did think it would be tough. This way, not as stressful, and probably better for the kids. :cool: The school is on it's Fall break now, will go back in session next week. I'm going into work Mon and Tues to finish up a few more things in my classroom. I'm grateful for the week off. I got here last Thursday and it was so overwhelming. My apartment is reaaaaally nice. I had dinner with my folks and my friends that night, and by Saturday my folks flew back. Needless to say that weekend was REALLY TOUGH for me. I cried like crazy, I'll admit it.:unsure: It has not been an easy adjustment but overall I know many have had me in their prayers. My new school is really nice! So many of the staff are so supportive. I feel very fortunate in that regards. The area I live in is very safe and there's plenty of shopping areas and places to eat as well. Do I get homesick? YOu bet. I'm grateful for the telephone. One thing I like about this district is their calendar. They only take 6 weeks off for the summer, and the rest of the time they spread out over the year. We get this week, and then all of that week for Thanskgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas and then a week for Easter. Not bad. The school year ends in May.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. Just wanted to give an update. :love:

17. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2009

Oh Im so happy its going so well! Feel free to PM anytime and we can chat! We are on Fall Break this week and go back next week.

18. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Oct 10, 2009

Congratulations!

:celebrate:
    :2up:

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2009

It sounds like you're in for a great year!!

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2009

Sounds great Nasimi! We have a calendar like that, too, sort of. We get a whole week at Thanksgiving (can't wait) 3 weeks at Christmas, and 2 at Easter. I'm glad you got a straight 5th. That will be much easier for you with all the other changes you've had.
    Your new place sounds nice! The future's so bright, you've gotta wear shades! :D Thanks for keeping us up to date!!

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2009

Everything sounds awesome, nasimi! The school calendar sounds perfect!

22. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 10, 2009

Thanks Genmai!

23. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 10, 2009

:) It will have it's challenges too, already has...but I just have to take a deep breath and pray a ton. Thanks again for all of your encouragement Alice.

24. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 10, 2009

I love my new place..would never be able to live in anything close to it in SoCal that's for sure. Cost of living really IS cheaper here! :)

Sounds like you have a very nice school calendar as well. That always helps. I like how ours is spread out too.

Best of luck to you and keep in touch, we can both be supportive of each other!:thumb:

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2009

Nasimi, 5th grade was my favorite of all the grades I have taught (K-5). Those children have a highly developed sense of humor, as well as strong values. You are going to have a great time. Good luck and use us as much as you need to for tips as you become acclimated to your new class!!

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2009

nasimi-I'm sooooooooooo happy that things are going so well for you! I know the homesickness will be there for awhile, but I'm sure that you will make friends in no time and your folks will come visit often. Again, I'm so glad that everything has worked out for the positive!

27. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 11, 2009

Thank you STG for all of your support.:love: I had a big "dose" of homesickness today, but I also know the weekends are especially tough. I've not even been here 2 weeks yet, so I know it will take time. I'm ever so grateful for this upcoming Fall break with next week off. Will give me a day or two to finish setting up my classroom and start some lesson plans. I just need to pace myself and take things one step at a time.:cool:

28. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 11, 2009

Jessica: Yeah, I really like their school calendar. They take 6 weeks for summer and spread the rest out. makes more sense to me. Thanks again!:rolleyes:

29. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 11, 2009

Beckysuek: I think I'm going to really like 5th grade...very excited. :D I taught 4th for 3 years and I loved that grade too. Thanks for your support!

30. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2009

Nas, the weekends will get better once you get to know some of the people in your new area. Then, you will have things to do. I am happy that you have the rest of the week to get your classroom ready because that really takes time to do.. Enjoy your job and your fifth graders.

31. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2009

Don't forget we're here if you ever get lonely! :)

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2009

I loved grade 5 as well--they are the perfect mix of dependent and independent!

You have the right attitude--take things slowly. It will all get done. Remember to take time to take care of yourself and enjoy the adventure you are on!

33. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 12, 2009

Waiting on a new update... How are things going???? We think you are pretty awesome and we really care! Love ya girl!

34. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 12, 2009

Thank you SCTeachInTX, that is so sweet! You guys all rock!

Well, so far things are movin' along. We are on a week off for our Fall break. I needed to go into work today to finish up setting up my room. The secretary gave me a P.O. so I could purchase some posters and other things for my classroom. :) I am ALMOST finished. I had set a goal to go into work Monday and Tuesday during the break to finish setting up the room, and I am almost there. That way I can try and get some rest in ;) and do my first week of lesson plans. Can't wait to do those! Love doing lesson plans! Anyhow, the maintenance guy and his assistant are awesome. I had asked for tables at first and they weren't sure if they could get them for me. Well they found a bunch of tables in one of the older bungalows that used to be a classroom but now is a storage facility on campus. My room really is beginning to look like a classroom now!:D very, very excited, and oh so grateful. :angel:

I really enjoy my new place. I'm currently in the process of trying to find a home church. I had an AMAZING one I left behind, and I will say that has been without a doubt the toughest part of this adventure. I'm glad I've got my two kitties with me and the telephone! I do also have my one friend out here, but she's married with 3 kids and so busy that we can't always hang every day...and of course I'll be busier than all get out once I start working with my students. I know that I must remain positive, and not focus on my past, or even too much on my future, but on the present, and those kiddos!

After work today, I went to my local 24HR Fitness and worked out. It felt so great! I slowly but surely feel that I am getting into a routine. But, I'm also trying to be good to myself, and give things time. I have not even been here 2 weeks.

Anyhow, today I was thinking about what an amazing site this is, and so grateful for you all cheering me on and being supportive. This has been such a HUGE TRANSITION for me! I am a born and raised CALIFORNIA GIRL and I never ever thought I'd leave. In time, Lord willin' I'll become a true Arizonian. ;)

35. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 13, 2009

You will be great! And I work out at the neighborhood 24 hour fitness center too! It sounds like you are doing all the right things like getting your room ready AND making some time for yourself. There are some great churches everywhere and who knows if you find a good "fit," you might find "Mr Right?" All in good time. All in good time. If you ask me, it was just destiny or divine intervention that brought you all the way to Arizona to this new place with new people. It is tough (don't I know it) but, you will find your way and make such a difference in not only the lives of the children you will teach, but also the people that you will meet along the way. Who knows what the future holds. You may find that this is not your final destination. You may have other places to travel before it is all said and done. You do have a friend there and even with her 3 children, she must be a wonderful support. I know she is probably thrilled to have YOU there as a support too. Take care and know that we all care. We want to hear all about your successes and yes, sometimes those pesky failures. Those happen too when you are new anywhere! My daughter was so excited yesterday. It turns out the girl she has met in school that she hangs out with actually only lives one street away from us! She could not believe it. They were both so excited. I was too. She hangs out with her mom too much. (Even though I love every minute!) Anyhow, that made my day to see that she and this young lady were really bonding and close in proximity. There are little joys that you find all the time when you are in a new place. Wishing you all the best!:)

36. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 13, 2009

It was a whole lot of divine intervention that brought me to Arizona. ;) I have to remind myself of that when I feel down or discouraged. I indeed don't know what life will bring me here. I do know that I need to give myself TIME because I am still very homesick. I will even admit that I have thought about if things don't work out, trying to eventually go back to California. However, that is only if I am able to find a job there. And um, well.....I had zero luck in this past year and 1/2 and I don't know what the teaching market will look like in the state next year, or even after that. I just know I've got a job here, and maybe in time this really will become HOME. Right now, it's not...just a place I live and work.

Anyhow, I finished setting up my classroom today. It looks great. Now I shall take these next few days off, plan and rest.

That's great that your daughter's friend lives so close. Those are always comforting things. :love:

37. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 22, 2009

Update

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say I've had an insanely busy first week. That is a good thing. still, it's been a bit crazy, but I've learned to "go with the flow" so to speak. I had a few technology glitches the first half of the week and then i didn't have some of my needed text books....so I've had to rely on "winging" certain lessons. I have been going over rules, and getting to know my students better in terms of seeing how they read and write. I got to spend some one on one time with them as I went over a compare/contrast paragraph they did. Prob my favorite part of teaching is getting to work with them individually and helping them. I've got quite a mix of low and high students. now that I know them a little better I'm going to be changing some seating arrangements so I can pair some low kids with high kids and hopefully they can help each other. Of course I will monitor that to see how it goes. This weekend I am hoping to get more detailed in my lesson plans, and also catch up on my grading. ;) I have honestly been so busy I have not even had time to think much about being away from California. Trust me, I still have my moments, but as I watch the news and continue to see how so many are struggling right now, I am humbled and feel very grateful to have a job right now. :):cool:

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2009

I'm so happy things are going relatively well!

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2009

It's so good to hear that things are going well!

40. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

That's great that things are going well!