Having Doubts

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nasimi77, Sep 7, 2009.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

I have an interview in Arizona on Wednesday for a 4/5 combo class. They know I'm coming from California, because my resume and app clearly state that. However, I recall now when I told the secretary I'm coming up from Cali, she said, "Oh." I'm wondering now if she thought I already lived there. I know that the school year has already started. I'm guessing they will want to fill this position fairly quickly. Of course, I'd be willing to find a little place and move out there stat. BUT, if they've got a bunch of qualified people who already reside in AZ, why would they choose me? I'm wondering if I should even go. :sorry: I don't meant to seem negative. I'm excited and all, but as I said I do have some doubts. At the least I can go see my friends up in Phoenix, but still it would be nice to come away from this with a job offer.

3. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

No...You should go! :) There was a person on this forum, although broke, flew out to another state twice for interviews. Her second time going back, she was hired. So it does happen! You gotta have faith! Good luck!

4. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 7, 2009

you should still go. You can learn more about the district and explore your feelings more about whether you really want to move. You may be right about them hiring someone who already lives there.... but I'd try not to bring that up again. Hopefully they will hire the person with the "right fit". good luck!

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2009

I agree - go. The secretary was just making the calls. She doesn't know how impressed the principal or committee were with your resume. It is definitely worth going if you are willing to move.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2009

Sent you a PM--don't sell yourself short!

7. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

Thank you guys so much for the positive feedback. I am planning on going, I know that when an opportunity comes I can't say no to it. I've been at this job search for over a year now and perhaps those are just my fears coming out, and I need to stop it. I've got a lot of wonderful friends and family praying for me, supporting me...and this awesome site!:D Oh, and I am very ready to move. California is in such bad shape and continues to get worse. I've got a couple of dear friends that live in Phoenix. I know it would still be hard, but I'm ready for the adventure! Thanks again!

mrs C: thank u as well!:)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2009

Yes...go! Good luck!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2009

Definitely go! You have no idea who you are competing against and you are willing to move there as quickly as possible. Good luck!

10. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

GO! It can't hurt right?

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

If you are worried about them not taking you seriously as a candidate because you have to move, feel free to be very open at the interview. They usually give you a chance to tell something about yourself. My SIL and I both got jobs out of town by explaining the reason for the move. If they need you to start ASAP, volunteer to find a hotel and move the next weekend. In this job market, be willing to do anything and do it on their time line. Best wishes!

12. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

I agree. I already have my FingerPrint Clearance Card for the state of Arizona, which I plan on telling them. AND, I'm in the process of getting my Arizona Teaching License. I was thinking the same thing about living in a 6 motel or something temporary. I agree, whatever it takes! Thanks.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2009

In fact, just for fun, hit the internet and price out a few local suite motels-- the kind that have a kitchen. During the interview, let them know you can start ASAP-- you just have to go home and pack a suitcase, you've already found a short-term place to stay, and mention where it is.

You don't need to actually make any reservations, but they won't be able to help taking you seriously.

14. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

Alice, leave it to you to say something so practical! Wow, this is such a great idea!:love::thumb: I'm going to do that now!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

17. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

GO !!!

I was offered on a phone interview! If they called you in the first place they know where you live and WANT to MEET YOU!! Go in confident, you deserve that job! Blow them away.

If they mention that your dont already live there say that you are eager to make the move and hope that you can begin the journey with their school district!

18. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

Gosh, I WISH I could do a phone interview! Still, I enjoy the drive. Thanks deedee. :love: I think Alice has a great idea too. I'm on hold with an extended hotel now, checking rates, etc. That will be one more thing to show them I'm serious.

19. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

Go Nasimi! And good luck! We are all behind you 100%!

20. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 7, 2009

I know, and I am going! :D You guys are all so awesome!

21. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

:thumb:

22. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Sep 8, 2009

Definitely go! If you are serious about moving, you're going to have to make that clear to them. I will probably even bring that up when I start interviewing, as I am going to be moving long distance as well. Explain that you are actively looking to move to that particular area, and maybe even give them some good reason why- I would imagine that would help make them take your interest even more seriously.

23. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I would go. If nothing else it could be a good experience.

Good luck!

24. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 8, 2009

Hey guys, I'm just about to head out. Wanted to thank you all for the encouragement and support, it means a lot. I'll let you know how it went when I return! :)

25. smalltowngal

Sep 8, 2009

Hope all went well!

26. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

Update

Hey guys....

The interview went great! After I talked a bit with the principal, he said, "Let's take a tour." I got to meet a couple of the 4th grade, as well as 5th grade teachers. I even got to see where my (hopefully) future classroom would be! It seems like it would be a really great school to work at. :) I asked when I would know, and he said the district would be the one to call me.... that seems a bit odd but I guess because the school year has already started they do things a tad differently. He encouraged me to get my AZ Credential paperwork in as soon as possible. And of course, I told him I already have done my background checks. (fingerprint ID card). Sooooooo, now I just wait. In the meantime, I already sent him via "snail mail" a professional thank you note, saying I appreciated meeting him, teachers, students, AP..... And that I would love to be a part of their staff, etc. All I can do now is hope for the best!:thumb::D I finally have everything i need now to send off for the Arizona Credential, so I'll be doing that tomorrow. (back in Cali now). *crossing my fingers and praying like crazy!*:angel:

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2009

It sounds really positive!

28. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2009

Sounds like it went great! Hope you hear some good news soon!

29. smalltowngal

Sep 11, 2009

Sounds good! I hope the next call you get is from the district.

30. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2009

Sounds promising!

A lot of districts in my area are responsible for providing the official job offer so it's not too out of the ordinary.

31. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

I just sent off all of my documents/paperwork via FEDEX for my Arizona Teaching License.:D I'm hoping I hear from the district next too! :thumb:

32. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 11, 2009

AMAZING! I am so excited for you! You deserve a break today. I hope this is it. Please let us know WHEN they call!

33. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

The 4 greatest words! "let's take a tour!"

I swear... my knees would buckle!

(Many years ago...as a music teaching candidate -when there were many more jobs and many less teachers- you used to be taken on a tour about 75% of the time. Now a days...it's like the school is Fort Knox and you are NOT getting in.)

I was told once (I THINK it was from either my university or the regional office of education) that if a school wants a teacher without certification in that area/county/state...that there are ways for them to rush it - upon the school's request. If they want you...it'll happen. And I think they want you!!!

(May i be the first to say...whispering for good luck...congrats!)

34. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

McKennal....my knees practically did buckle when I heard him say "Let's take a tour." LOL, I love how candid you are....it does indeed feel like trying to get into Fort Knox! The fact that I got to see some of these teachers teaching, meet with and talk to some of them, and even interact with some kids, was so exciting for me! Oh, and to see my possible, future classroom!? I almost passed out! :lol: I hope you're right...I want to work for them too!:cool: Thanks for the positive vibes everybody!

35. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

Thank you so much! I am hopeful to hear from them by no later than Friday of next week. I'm about to head to my favorite park and take a long walk and indeed take a breather!:rolleyes:

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2009

Oooh, keeping my toes and fingers crossed for you. You SO deserve this one!

37. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

awww thank you Alice!

38. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2009

Oh Im so happy it went well!! :) Cant wait to hear what they decide !!!

39. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

Thanks DeeDee. Me TOO!:cool:

40. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2009

Been thinking about you all week over there! Sounds like you had a great time! Hope you hear good news soon!

41. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

Thanks Kat!:cool: