Having Behavior Issues

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by bizzbeth125, Sep 1, 2009.

1. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

Hi there!

I've been hired as a part-time preschool teacher (age 4).

All of the children have been coming to this school/center for about a year and there is currently no schedule and no rules in place. I went to observe early this week and was horrified!

Because there has never been a set of rules in place the kids feel like they own the place and are completely disrespectful.

I'm worried that since the kids already behave this way in this environment it will be very hard to add rules to a place they currently have free rein of! The current teacher will be staying on as my aid so it is going to be very hard to get the kids to treat me better than they've been treating their current teacher.

Any advice? I start next week! :dizzy::dizzy:

3. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

Baby steps. You won't change them overnight. Think about what is the most important and fix that first.

Plan lots of super fun activities so that they want to be involved and use participation as an incentive to follow the rules.

Praise EVERYTHING you see them do right. Most kids this age really want to please and will respond well to positive reinforcement.

Good Luck!

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 1, 2009

The teacher that you are replacing is now going to be your aide? Very interesting.

The good news is, 4 year olds love to please and thrive on routine and limits. I suggest changing things a little at a time- too many new rules too fast will overload the kids and you. Pick what you feel needs to be changed the most, and start with that. Then gradually add in other rules and procedures. Be firm and don't be discouraged if they test you- because they WILL test you! Stick to your guns and have fun! This is a GREAT age to teach.

5. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

Thanks for the support!

Yes, she's the owner of the school/center and doesn't want to be the FT teacher anymore. She needs more time to focus on the business end of the well, um, business. :)

I hope by the end of next week I have a happy update for ya'll!!!

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 1, 2009

Wait....so she is also your boss? That would be way too awkward for me!

7. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

Haha Yes! She's really nice and open to everything I have in mind. It's a very small private pre-k so the dynamics are a little different. :-D