Having a rough day today....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

The day started off badly. I wrote up FIVE students during the first period of the day due to, and I quote: blatant disrespect, insubordination, failure to comply with teacher directive, adamant refusal to do work, failure to sit in assigned seat, possession of nuisance items, and use of profanity. ALL five of them displayed these behaviors.

Then two students came to that first period tardy with notes from their parents saying why they were tardy. We have been told by the deans' office that NO parent notes will be accepted to excuse tardies, so I did not accept the notes. The students went to the deans' office to "tell on me" for not accepting the notes, and the dean ACCEPTED THE NOTES and EXCUSED THE TARDIES. Then the dean wrote this email to MY BOSS:

Today Mrs. [me] refused to accept tardy notes from two students in her early bird class. The girls both came to me at 7:10 am and I called their parents. The parents were late due to the weather and traffic today. I spoke with the attendance clerk downstairs and asked her to accept the tardy note. She had no problem in excusing the tardy but she said she never takes notes (verified or not) to excuse a tardy for any class. Is this the policy? I can see if students abuse the policy by submitting notes daily but this wasn't the case. I looked at this situation as circumstance that was out of their control (bad weather). I wanted you to be aware of what I did this morning just in case Mrs. [me] complains.

Now, I feel like her email had a tone to it, but I'm trying not to read anything into it, so I'm going to let it go. I did feel sort of justified when my boss wrote back to the dean: "We do not accept tardy notes to excuse tardies. If it's not habitual, it should not be a problem."

Sigh. I feel worn out already.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

:hugs: cassie. I hope it gets better as the day goes on.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

Late for School Joke

The new family in the neighborhood overslept and their six-year-old daughter missed her school bus.

The father, though late for work himself, had to drive her. Since he did not know the way, he said that she would have to direct him to the school.

They rode several blocks before she told him to turn the first time, several more before she indicated another turn. This went on for 20 minutes - but when they finally reached the school, it proved to be only a short distance from their home.

The father, much annoyed, asked his daughter why she'd led him around in such a circle.

The child explained, "That's the way the school bus goes, Daddy. It's the only way I know."
    :lol: :haha: :lol: :haha:

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

Massive boos and hisses to the dean for undermining the school's rules AND making you seem like a problem case. Massive kudos to your boss for sticking up for you! Rules work so much better when they are enforced uniformly.

6. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jan 27, 2010

Sorry for your sour morning and that you are getting caught in the middle of ineptitude in your school's system and poor communication between your supervisors. "Just tell me what to do and I'll do it!!"

Full moon is this Saturday, week might still be getting stranger!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

Agreed, catnfiddle! Hooray to a boss that stands up for you! And so sorry your students made such poor choices this morning. Blech.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

I think something must be in the air. I sent five of my resource students back to class early because of behavior. I rarely send even one student back.

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 27, 2010

Yikes. Sorry you had such a rough day. If you need a laugh check out my blog (below). :D

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 27, 2010

My kids have just lost it. I think it's cabin fever. They haven't been outside for recess due to winter. I sympathize, but I'm at the end up my rope too. They just refuse to follow any and all directions. :banghead:

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2010

Well, it's kind of good to know it's not just mine...

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

I can handle kids that don't know how to act. They're kids. I know that they'll eventually learn.

What bugged me most about today is that I felt like the adults I work with were being unsupportive.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

Cassie...that's the worst part. I feel for you.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

What a rotten morning, I hope the rest of your day went better!

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

Thanks.

:)

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 27, 2010

Adults can just be stupid some times. Rules are rules regardless who the kids belong too.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

And what was so frustrating is that it's the deans' office that is supposed to enforce the rules! The same rules that they evidently don't know exist! So they do stuff to make me look like an idiot and a b! Ugh.

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2010

The last time we had snow I drove my high schooler to school (along with 6 bazillion other parents) and it took forever to go the last 2 blocks. Did I write my little baby an excuse note? No, I told him to be ready earlier next time. How frustrating that the dean would break rules for those students.

19. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

Can't be that! I am in Hawaii and I am getting the same bad behaviors this week!