Having a panic day....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Apr 28, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 28, 2009

It's early in the game this year (application season)...but having a panic day (I won't get hired, I'll never get a teaching job, very down on my own teaching skills, berating myself).

I subbed in a tough class today. As inner-city (a make-up of) a class as I have ever taught...and though the music teacher who came in to the room for a little while said I had them pretty well-behaved and paying attention...I felt..for ME... that I wasn't in control (enough).

I met a girl today (at this school) that "won" a job I interviewed for a few months ago. She had been a student teacher at the school in the fall semester (in the class I was subbing in today), and now was doing Instructional aide work there. I think it was a logical choice. If I were the principal I would hire the student teacher for the rest of the year (if they were decent at all). Though it was strange when she came into the room-the kids weren't ga-ga over her return as kids would be in that case (The kids I was with - if I sub at my old school - nearly tackle me with hugs and swarm to chat about how life is for them - MAN, I loved them!) But I see that as, yeah, this class WAS tough!

And it's just adding to the down-ness of the day (wish it were sunny and warm..a good day for a LONG walk) Just ranting..or bemoaning.. but I hate these sorts of days.

3. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

I'm sorry you're having a down day. I'm right there with you. I finally gathered up all my self confidence today, put on some nice clothes and headed to a board of education office to check on the status of my application. The secretary who was very nice said that they had started interviewing just a few people so far and scrunched her face when she saw I'm early childhood and said that they are a really small district and probably won't have many openings.

I wanted to say, "I know, but I'm a really good teacher. No, my granddaddy didn't grow up here...but if SOMEONE would give me a chance..."

It's HOT here today. Spring skipped Alabama. But I did take a long walk.

Maybe someone will call us tomorrow!
    Melissa

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2009

:hugs:

5. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

I have those days too. I was really having them last week. Then I found out I rocked a test, so that gave me confidence for a bit. But, I'm sure it will all disappear soon.

On meeting the person who got the job you wanted. I have been in this situation, and had to try really hard not to laugh when I saw she was horrible. No classroom management at all. I mean children under the desk talking, and she didn't even respond. That's what they get for not hiring me!

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 28, 2009

She didn't seem to have the personality of an enthusiastic beginning teacher...but as I say-this was a TOUGH class. (she told them to be quiet and line-up "I've seen you do better!" Then apoligized for speaking/directing them- when they were under my authority. I said- no, by all means-you know them better.).

She walked the kids and I down for standardized testing - but left rather than staying there with us- as i was told she would. (Find it odd-and I DOUBT it was supposed to happen) that a sub is left as the only one in the room with a group of 25 students doing a national standardized test.

As the test was ending (it took place on laptop computers), and we were getting ready to return to the room..this other teacher said to me..."Hey, you KNOW these laptops have to be plugged in and stacked!" (a little inappropriate of a tone in front of students- even TO a stranger/sub) - to which I replied that the ex-student teacher said she would return and clean them up ("Considering we are the last to test today")

I didn't really WANT the job/just interviewed for it to be a regular pay-check over subbing (until the year ended).

Anyway... thank you for the support... all of you. It's been a bad day (week/month) in many ways... today was just the cherry on top.

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 29, 2009

McKenna, I totally understand where you are coming from. I graduated in December with my elem ed degree and I've sent out resume after resume to get a job. I knew I probably wouldn't find anything mid-year but yet I tried. Then an interim position came up at the school where I student taught and they placed another interim sub in the class..BTW, same grade I student taught in and class that I subbed in several times. I've heard repeatedly that I didn't get the job because I didn't know the curriculum...Well when I do know it, I've been passed over. Ugggggggghhhhh....Then I overheard this sub saying she didn't know how to do IRI's...I almost cried because I do know how to do it. Now, she's having trouble with this class and I never had a problem with them. They are actually better than the class I student taught in!

Anyway, I have chosen to believe that things happen for a reason.

I understand about getting down...I'm getting nervous from not hearing from schools that I've submitted resumes to. I need a job for the upcoming year because for the first time in my married life, I have to work. Hubby got laid off but he was able to get a job that pays a lot less and takes us out of state. I know others are in my same boat or worse off so I know my situation is not unique. It just puts added stress on me.

I'm thinking positive....everyday I think today is the day...and it just might be!

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2009

Everyday when I go in my back yard I see the person that replaced me. She is my neighbor, she is also my BIL's best firends wife. So far we haven't had to meet but I am waiting for that day. Hopefully it never comes. I have heard from a friend at the school that she is an awful teacher. She hass been in trouble more times, and the parents absolutely hate her. So this big time teacher guru who was supposed to "save" the kindergarten team doesn't fit in the district either. Anyway we have all those paniced moments. I am having one right now, even though I have job fairs and an interview coming up soon Just remember that we are all here and we support you.

9. palla

palla Companion

Apr 29, 2009

I am sorry, McKenna. Those days are terrible, and it is hard to watch someone in a position you interview for. Even if you weren't that interested in the job, it would have been nice to turn them down instead of them turning you down.

I hope today goes better!

10. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

I'm like that all the time. I want someone to offer me a job now so I don't have to worry about it. I don't like waiting for something. But that's the name of the game.

In the mean time, if you're having problems like I do all the time, take a walk and listen to some music, or go to a gym and go run like me.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 29, 2009

I know those days all too well. My hubby is a teacher. His school every year has openings. He's made me apply for them for the last two years. I hate it!!! They interviewed me last summer but didn't offer me a position. It stinks. I subbed at this school almost exclusively for a year and a half because I knew the people. I know all the kids.

Every time I go help him with something, I always get to see the people that were determined to be worthy. Now some of the teachers there ignore me, the admins say nothing. It makes me feel like a pariah but I go anyway for him. I need about two days to recover after anytime I'm there helping him. If I don't find something for next year, I'll be subbing again. I'm sure it will also pretty much be there since it's a money-saver to use only the one car.

12. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Rookie

Apr 29, 2009

Wow, I was right there with you yesterday. I had a lovely morning subbing the first class, but the afternoon I was in a totally different class. These kids really disrespected me. The entire class wasn't off the wall, just a handful. But I still got so down on myself about losing control.

However, one of the things I love most about teaching, is that everyday can be completely different. This morning I subbed for a nice class that listened pretty well. In the afternoon I was an aide to a really nice kid with a great attitude. It totally made up for yesterday afternoon! :D