Having a panic attack

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 12, 2010.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. I received an email from my principal that there is mold in 16 classrooms in my school, including mine. It has been very hot and humid, and our school is carpeted with no AC.

So, today they emptied everything out of the infected classrooms. Carpet and all furniture is being cleaned.

I have been in my classroom 1-3 days a week all summer getting it ready. I was going to be finished by the middle of next week so I would have 1 1/2 weeks to spend on planning. I had everything set up on the kids' tables, neat piles of things to complete, letters to mail to parents, etc. EVERYTHING WAS READY.

I understand that it's for our health and safety, good thing they found it now, blah blah blah. That still doesn't dismiss the fact that I have spent hours and hours working on my classroom, and now I have to start over. Now I will have 1 week to set up my classroom and plan (we can not go in at all next week because they will be cleaning). I am an organized neat-freak, so just the fact that people are moving things out of my classroom (when it was all set up-not packed up) makes me very stressed out.

Well, this will be a fun story to tell for years to come. :(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

Deep breaths.

You're good at your job. You're creative and inventive. You'll get through this.

It seems to me that you need to rethink your strategies, and concentrate replacement items that can be put together quickly-- possibly things that the kids can create themselves.

Big picture: being a good teacher is not about where you teach or what surrounds you. That good teacher inside you hasn't been effected.

So pour a glass of wine, take that deep breath, and get started.

4. idahomom

idahomom Companion

Aug 12, 2010

:hugs: Ugh, that really stinks. Sorry that you are dealing with all of this. Just remember, loads of teachers (especially new teachers) are hired days before school starts and sometimes after school starts - and yet, they still manage.

I'm sure that week before school will be stressful, but try to relax. Do lots of deep breathing and you will get through it.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

I'm sorry, what a rotten situation! I completely understand, we get 2 days to set up our rooms this year! Is there anything you can do at home to get yourself planned while you can't be in the building?

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

Thank you for your kind words.

I spoke with my principal today and he said I can come to school tomorrow morning. They didn't take anything out of my room yet, so I'm going to put some stuff away, and grab some materials so I can plan at home. YAY! This will give me some peace of mind. I was worried about the planning aspect because everything was at school. Now I can still be productive.

The problem with me is that I'm a fidgety, visual obsessive neat-freak. What I mean is that I can't sit down and plan unless my environment is exactly how I want it and everything is checked off of my to do list. I'm like this at home, at school-all the time (for as long as I can remember). I know I need to just get over it, but I get so anxious and can't think!

I know it will all come together and be ok in the end. My boyfriend offered to take a vacation day to help me move my furniture back to where I had it. I just need to breathe and drink some wine (thanks for the suggestion, Alice :)).

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

I'm just so glad they found it before you began school! The health problems of spending all day in a room with mold-yikes! I know this sounds weird, but I'm very thankful for you, DP. I wish I could help you re-organize afterwards.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

oh my heart goes out to you. Looking on the bright side you and the kids won't be subjected to the mold - but I know how hard that must be!!!!!!!

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

Power's out in my room until at least Monday. And it as very tiny windows.

10. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 12, 2010

We are going through the mold issue right now, too! We were getting some HVAC work done, and they found mold in our science/math building. We started back yesterday, and those teachers aren't allowed in their rooms until Monday. Kids come Tuesday.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

I am also a neat freak in my room. I like absolutely everything put away and ready for school to start. Several years ago we had a bad hurricane come through and everyone of us in portables lost everything. They wouldn't even let us get in to try to salvage anything because of mold. Then we were out of school for a month so we all had to begin teaching again with absolutely nothing. We got through it and you will get through this, too. In a few weeks it will be a memory (not a good one, though)!

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

Teacher's first day of work is tomorrow. Just been told that a kinder has to move to 1st due to numbers...we're all maxed out in 1st. She is a new teacher and has to move rooms 1 week before school starts and learn a whole other grade's curriculum. She was having a nervous breakdown this afternoon. I can empathize with what you're going through!

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2010

Wow! Glad you get to go in and get some things out, but what a shock! I'm glad they're getting it taken care of before school starts. Who knows if some of the behavior problems you had last year were a result of the mold?

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 13, 2010

I was thinking the same thing...I wonder how long the mold has been there. A lot of teachers have suspected it for some time. At the beginning of last year I was sick for 3 months (stuffy nose, a horrible cough, sneezing), and now I'm thinking it was the mold.

Now that I'm thinking about it some more, I hope that they get everything taken care of before school starts. I thought I would have 1 1/2 weeks to get things ready before school started, but now I'm wondering if they will even be able to get rid of it all this weekend.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 13, 2010

THAT would be absolutely crazy!!!

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2010

We will most likely be hiring a new teacher on Monday, and school starts on Tuesday. So they will have less than 24 hours to get their room ready!

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

Huge hugs...I know it sounds awful, but be glad. I am allergic to mold and probably would've gotten very sick from your room! It will all come together. :hugs: