Having a nervous breakdown!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smalltowngal, Sep 12, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2008

:banghead:

If you remember last week a 4th grade position became available in my dream district (though not dream school). I emailed the principal my cover letter and resume, expressing my interest in working for her school, yada, yada,yada. I had interviewed with this same principal last year. The reason I didn't get hired she said was because I didn't have any TAKS (state test) experience. Well, I received that experience when I tutored in a neighboring district as a 5th grade TAKS tutor. She emailed me back stating that they were reviewing applications and they would call to set up an interview if they were interested. A week later the position is still posted so I decided to call the school to ask about the position. Apparently they held interviews yesterday, and you wanna know who didn't get even get the chance to interview AGAIN?!?!!?!?!!?!?! ME!! I'm so tired and worn out from this job search, my self-esteem is taking a nosedive each time I apply for a position and don't even get a dang interview. I can't count the number of times I've cried heavily or thought about taking a job outside of education. It is becoming obvious that it doesn't matter if I sub in this district or know people that have hand delievered my resume to the asst super just to get me no where. I've already applied to a couple of court positions here and hopefully will get one of them. Its obvious I'll probably never step foot into a classroom again at the rate I'm going.

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 12, 2008

I think it's time to stop subbing for them if possible. I had a dream district. Subbed for them for two years, finally got done with school and not one single interview for them. Flash forward a year of not subbing for them and suddenly they wanted to interview me.

It's ridiculous what we have to go through to get teaching positions especially when you hear about people just hanging in until they can retire or the "idiot" who got the job because of nepotism.

4. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 12, 2008

I'm sorry, STG. I know exactly how you feel. I've only had one interview for a job I really wanted and didn't get that. I've had a few other interviews but those were the positions I didn't want.

5. smalltowngal

Sep 12, 2008

MATgrad-I'm trying to get a full time position so if I get it I won't be able to sub for them. Hopefully I hear something from the county jobs soon. I agree that there are people that are just sitting, waiting for retirement or got their jobs because they knew someone higher up or that had more pull than I do.

reverie-I've had 3 interviews, 2 for teaching, and all three interviews were at schools that I would love to work at. Oh well, guess it just wasn't meant to be, but I sure am tired of hearing/saying that.

6. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Sep 12, 2008

:hugs: Sorry STG. This whole job-hunting drama just sucks. I have no advice, just wanted to offer some cyber :hugs:

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 12, 2008

Sending up prayers for you Hun! Some school districts are just a waste of time to even try to get in to them. I'm really sorry to hear that they didn't even think to call you for an interview :(

I do hope you get a chance to get back into the classroom--- your posts are excellent here at the site and I know you'd make a wonderful teacher some place :)

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

Don't give up. The right job for you just hasn't opened up, but it will. I was just about ready to throw in the towel when I finally got my job. I know it is easier said than done, but keep your chin up. You are a teacher and you will be in a classroom again!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2008

So sorry!

And, sent you a PM

10. smalltowngal

Sep 12, 2008

I did call a school in NC that I have been emailing the principal back and forth. She said that she had been interviewing this week and that she had put a nod on myself and another candidate to give a phone interview to so I'm waiting for her to set that up for us. Crossing my fingers!! The more time goes by, the more NC looks better and better.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

NC is sooo beautiful.

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time. It is obvious that you would be an awesome teacher for the right school.

12. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

Hang in there. Things will look up when you least except it. Hugs and will keep you in my prayers.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2008

I'm sorry, STG. I hope things get better for you soon.

14. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

:( I'm sorry. :hugs:

I hope the best job in the world comes your way very soon!

15. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

hey,

i am sorry to hear about what happened. not that this will be any consolation, but i have had school board presidents tell me they don't even know how teachers get hired in their district (b/c some of their children CAN'T get jobs). it is so sad that many schools would rather hire suzzy - just because she knows paula & betty - rather than a highly qualified person such as yourself.

please don't let all of this get you down on teaching. although we've never met, i agree w/the other poster who said she can just tell you're a great person & teacher! there IS a school out there for you & you will find it. it is just insanely crazy how long it takes some of us to get there.

if you move to nc, i may just follow suit! each summer we go to south carolina, & i am forever joking w/my family about just packing up and moving down there! anyhoo, i am certain things are going to work out for you. hang in there - i am praying things get better for you.

Meri

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

hang in there and do noot give up. I hate to hear that you are down when your are always encouraging and supporting everyone on this board. keep your head up and the right job will come along soon. Maybe it is in NC.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

:hugs: stg. Don't ever tell you're self you're not a teacher. You're a fantastic teacher, even when you don't realize it. I can't tell you how much I owe you as far as my own ability to teach. You have, from a thousand miles away, taught me more than you will ever know.

18. smalltowngal

Sep 12, 2008

Thank you guys for your kind words!! *typed as I cry* If it weren't for your encouraging words, I'm not sure where I would be. :hugs:

It's always easier for me to be encouraging of others.

And, mm, I'm glad that I can help out though I'm not sure what I could have said. :blush:

19. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Sep 13, 2008

STG- I agree with everyone else that it is obvious you were meant to be a teacher just from reading your posts. I know how frustrated you are and I am so, so sorry. Before getting my position this week I was also seriously considering moving to NC but I had noticed in the last few weeks that the postings seemed to be tapering off. I was getting very scared that even my "backup" plan seemed to be falling through. My sister reminded me though that if I made the decision that I was willing to move, even if I couldn't get a job this year I would then be in position to start applying in NC early next year. I know you dont want to sub for another year, but I am SURE that if you apply to high-demand districts in NC at the start of next summer you are gonna get snatched up right away!

I am re-reading my post here and its not making much sense to me. Sorry, its late! I guess all I am trying to say is that even if you don't get your dream job this year you ARE meant to be a GREAT teacher and you WILL have your own classroom sooner or later. And I am praying that it will be sooner!

20. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 13, 2008

meri,
    where in SC, I am from sc! infact....

wanted to add that i have not had ONE interview...not even a phone call...

found out last week that one district did not even process my file....there was some error....

a job fair led to nowhere and title one money not being released has held up hiring in the one district here that left me with some hope!

anyway...things turned around for me this week....

i student taught in SC and got a call from my cooperating teacher of two possible job openings...one this year, the other next......my husband is getting ready to retire from the military and we are moving home....this is PERFECT!

then, i am interviewing FINALLY in NC next week!!! YAY!!! the idea of there being hope left was enough to get me thinking it is worth the wait....

then, I was reading on a caringbridge site about my cousin's child who is sick and there was a passage that made me realize that patience truly is a virtue.....here is what it said...

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence......'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

i just keep telling myself that ultimately, there is a plan and my job is to accept God's will as what is best and find the good no matter how bad things seem.....

trust me, some days..that is much easier said than done!

joy

21. smalltowngal

Sep 13, 2008

What county are you interviewing for in NC, USCgrad? I have a phone interview sometime in NC.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 13, 2008

stg...go re-read your posts. Even in threads I didn't post on, I read and got a lot of ideas from you. I'm tried and stressed out, so I can't think of any examples. Give me a couple hours...20 hours and 20 minutes, to be precise.

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 13, 2008

Don't give up STG!! To quote my favorite superhero movie "It's always darkest before the dawn"

24. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

Hey STG-
    Have faith that there is an intelligent principal out there that can recognize what an amazing person you are. There is a principal out there that knows what an incredible asset you will be to their school. There is a principal out there who knows that you will be the one that will make the difference in the lives of their students.Don't give up on them-they need you. And as hard as it is to continue to search for that school, remember how perfect it will be when you eventually find it. It is out there, waiting for you.
    :love:Beth

25. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

STG,

Don't feel alone...we are in the same boat. I have pretty much given up on using my Masters in Teaching degree. I am applying at every other kind of job I can find. I, like you, subbed for districts and they didn't want me, I TAKS tutored for districts and they didn't want me...I went out of my way to do anything and everything..even watching classes for teachers when I wasn't on the clock...still did no good...I'm tired of kissing up and not getting anything in return. I'm pretty much giving up on the whole teaching thing...I guess my family has gotten use to the idea of me having a meaningless Masters degree too, because they quit asking me "so have you heard anything on a job yet?" Which is great, because I was tired of feeling like I looked stupid when I answered, "No, and there aren't any openings anywhere either...no, not even here, there, and there that are opening up 50 new schools" I was getting tired of getting that look from people that precedes the "Well, have you tried here and there...they are openings up new schools...surely they have openings." The whole thing has made me question myself...it's made me feel very depressed and it's led to very low self esteem...I keep asking myself, "What's wrong with me, what didn't they like, why won't they give me a chance..is it my weight, my hair, my personality, my eyes, my feet, ha! It makes you start questioning everything about yourself...Anyway, just remember, you're not alone...you have a partner in the boat with you!:hugs:

26. bet3

bet3 Companion

Sep 15, 2008

The job hunt is nerve wracking, isn't it? I'm in the same boat you are. I am in an alternative teacher certification program. When I began the program, I was assured that I would have no problem getting a job. (My area is Language Arts, Middle and Secondary grades.) This is the second year that I have put in applications and I have never even gotten an interview. I was working in a daycare, but I quit last week, thinking that I would never get hired if I didn't start subbing. Now, I wonder if that will even matter. I, too, am thinking that maybe I have entered the wrong field. It makes me sick to think of how much money I have invested in a degree that I may never have the chance to use.