Having a job during your Student Teaching

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by newteacher08, Jun 24, 2008.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

I actually took a leave of absence from my part-time job. It was just too hectic to try and work and student teach at the same time. At least at first it was...I had two student teaching assignments, each 9 weeks long. Definitely during the first 9 weeks I'm GLAD I had the time off. But the only reason I would have been able to work a little bit in my last 9 weeks, is because that master teacher didn't expect as much as the first one did. So I had a little more time to work with...I guess it just depends on the teacher and the workload. If anything, weekends would be best!

2. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

When I student taught, we were not allowed to have a job. My CT usually stayed until 4:30. School let out at 3:20, but sometimes there were students waiting for the bus until 3:45. I usually stayed until 5:30 or 6:00. For the most part, that was when I graded papers because I didn't want to take them home.
    We both came in at 8:00 in the morning. I made copies then and in the afternoon. The parapro also made copies during the day if needed. School started at 9:00. There was no such thing as a totally duty free lunch. There were a couple of aides who were in the lunch room, but we were responsible for our students' behavior.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

this is why I enjoyed being an aide....

work 8-3 and go home. period. end of discussion. they never had to stay for meetings, and nobody bothered them about after school programs. In a way, I felt it was sad because they had input to share, but nobody would listen, and they should see the hard work they put in preparing for programs, watching children perform. Kids are attached to aides more than some teachers!

if you want to leave with the kids, be an aide! :(

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

I'm going to give it to you from the other side -- as a cooperating teacher. There are many CTs out there who are nice and sweet, and they would bend over backwards to accommodate you.

I'm not one of them.

If an ST wants or needs to have a job outside of school hours, that isn't my business, but I still expect certain things -- and if they don't get done, don't expect a good evaluation. This is the way it is if you are a teacher too, so it is just preparing the ST for the "real world" of teaching.

If we have an evening program, and it is mandatory that I be there, then you had better find a way to be there. Sorry -- child care or a night job are your business -- not mine.

As a teacher, nobody would care if I had babysitting problems or a night job -- the evening specials (up to 30 hours of evening or weekend attendance, as assigned -- I don't get to choose) is required in my contract. If you are trying for the "teacher experience" then you might as well get used to it.

I actually had one student teacher tell me that "she couldn't do anything on Wed. nights because that was the night she went to church, and she couldn't do anything afterschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays, because she worked nights...and oh yes, she couldn't take work home over the weekend because that time was for her to spend with her son."

We had a long discussion! It ended with her requesting another CT (which I totally went along with.)

Funny thing is, she got switched -- I got a delightful young lady who worked hard and I helped get a job with our district -- and the original ST? Her new CT failed her because she didn't do her lesson plans thoroughly and wasn't ready when she was supposed to teach.

It is part of learning to be a teacher -- finding a way to get the tons of work you must accomplish done while still having a "real" life. If you can do both, that's great -- more power to ya! But be prepared -- student teaching is exhausting.

And you never know -- there still are "old fashion" CTs out there -- the ones who think it is their job to make your life a living nightmare (because somebody did it to them when they student taught.)

If it were me, I wouldn't want the additional stress.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

I think you have to find a way to make it work for you. It's easier to find something part time, even for a few months, because the college kids do it all the time. The retail stores let them work during breaks, and keep their jobs open for them. I would be happy with 12 hours over nothing at all. I'd rather have something than go into debt. It's not worth it.

Student teaching is an important part of your education. But reality is, you still have bills to pay. Many people take out loans, and build up their savings before they start.

I think many schools are under the assumption that student teachers are all 18-20 years old and still living at home. This is just not the case anymore.

6. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

ITA about the 20 years old and living at home part.

I knew exactly what I was getting into when I made the decision to return to college for my teaching degree. I knew it would be difficult, time management would be crucial and to a certain degree, my personal life would be sacrificed.

I know that, and I am not any less committed to doing whatever it takes to become a teacher. I have an interview tomorrow as a teaching assistant, but I am going to tell the Principal frankly that, as he is already aware, I am in an ed program, and when my college tells me it is time for ST, I have to be ready to go. If they hold my position, great, and if they never hire me, I also understand. While I do need the money, I need to consider the bigger picture which is finishing my degree and doing everything right to get that degree, not halfassing anything. If a job makes my college/teaching prep work suffer? It is not the job for me.

7. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I graduated in May with my Master's in EL ED. My advisor the first day told me I shouldn't and wouldn't be able to work. I was determined to prove her wrong. I worked full time the entire time I went to school and worked part time (roughly 20-25 hours) during the week while student teaching. It is possible.. I'm proud to say that neither my job nor my school work were affected. I was nominated the VP of the honor society in the same month that I was nominated employee of the month at work.

It's possible. When you know you have to do it... you can!

good luck and remember to enjoy it.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

Great story tiffanys!!

9. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I don't think I could have handled working while student teaching. Yes, I had no money and my husband wasn't working steadily at the time either. So needless to say, we lived on bare bones for those 15 weeks. But I knew I would be student teaching and we had saved what we could beforehand to prepare for it. It helped that my student loans were still in deferment too.

Honestly, maybe I could have had a job the first half of student teaching, but by the time I picked up all three preps (not to mention that I was pretty much re-teaching myself Honors Gemoetry since I picked it 3/4 of the way through the year and forgot all my postulates/theorems) and was taking night classes for my credential, I was already going insane! :)

If you can survive very meagerly for a few months, I would suggest not starting off with a job, at least until you know how much work you'll be doing. I usually came in an hour before school and stayed until at least 6, sometimes later.

10. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Aug 7, 2008

If you don't mind the sleep deprivation, working while student teaching can be done. I have worked retail as a second job for over 10 years. I started in high school and worked through college, student teaching included, two and a half years subbing, mostly long term, and two years of having my own classroom. I only recently put in my notice to quit because I started my masters and cannot fairly commit my time to a full time job, a part time job, and my classes, not to mention my family and home and volunteering. It was a very hard decision for me to quit because I have been juggling a second job for so long, but my school work has to come first.

11. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 7, 2008

I did work during student teaching, but I also cut back on my hours. I bar tended or served on Friday nights and the weekend. I wouldn't suggested working any more than that. Even the Friday nights wore me out sometimes. If you're going to have a job I'd suggest finding one where you can work on other things related to your student teaching if at all possible.

In other words, it is manageable, but I wouldn't recommend more than weekends.

12. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I didn't work, in my program we not only had ST but classes at night (Wed & Fri) and Saturday morning. I had no time.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

I am planning on doing some homebound teaching. As a homebound teacher, you actually go to the student, whether they are in the hospital or at home. If they are mobile, you can always schedule to meet with them in the library. It is 5 hours per student per week. I am hoping this helps tremendously while I do my ST. Oh, and I am having my hubby get a 3rd job...

14. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 20, 2008

I am a TSS. I have been working 40+ hours the past 2 years. I'm doing 6 hours of therapy per week when I start student teaching. It is going to be hard for me. I signed up for 3 four hour workshops in the city that I'm student teaching at. The school district pays you $100 for each workshop. The workshops are based on the curricula and behavior management.

15. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I worked my way through school. Fri-Sat night, Sat-Sun night I worked 10pm-10am, Sun-Mon night and Monday-Tues night I worked 10pm-6am. After work during the week I did student teaching then classes. I will admit it was hard and there were very long days but I made time to do college work and student teaching work.

16. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I served one night a week. I was very lucky that I had my parents to help me out, and that I save up a little prior to student teaching. You have to do what you have to do, but I don't know that I would've enjoyed the experience as much as I did if I was stressed out by working too much.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2008

Well, I have been contemplating a night job, even though I don't want one. I'm exhausted all the time as is. I had my first day of ST and I came home so exhausted and worn out! I came home and went straight for a nap, not waking up until a good hour and a half later. I don't think I could manage having a job during this time, even though financially I am not sure how I am going to pull this off... :(

18. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 25, 2008

I student taught 8am-230pm M-F and worked a 22 hr/wk + took an education class so I could be a full time student (couldn't work on campus without being a full time student).

It was tough...but there was no way I could have gone without a paycheck!

Some of my friends kept their jobs & others didn't. It all depends on your situation. It seems tough but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2008

Well, it sounds like I will have a job for Saturday and Sunday (working at a resort where I worked while at college, and this past summer as a fill-in). In addition, I just had a call from the district office and they have two homebound students for me, so that's 10 hours a week (5 hours per student, all after school). I also had a message on my machine today from the principal of the adult education asking if I am still interested in teaching an English class there. LOL... I am not sure I can manage all of this on top of my student teaching, but I am going to see how much I can juggle...

20. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

I will be working as a fulltime teaching assistant. Fortunately they are allowing me to use the position to fulfill my fieldwork requirement.

Four of my classes this semester are online, and two meet on campus in the evenings. I know it will not be a cakewalk, but I have a lot of support from my new Principal, my family and my professors, so I am just going to do my best. :D

21. joshmon80

joshmon80 Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I had a friend that was a waitress while she was student teaching for a year. She was able to work during the nights. She said some weeks were tougher than others, but it is important to have an understanding boss. During big projects and tests she was able to work fewer night shifts. She was able to make it through and did not complain too much.

22. chasingcomets

chasingcomets Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

This is something I have put a lot of thought into. I'm currently working full-time, taking online classes part time, and I have two very small children.

When I first looked into going back to school to teaching, I couldn't imagine we'd ever be in a financial position where I'd be able to quit my job to student teach. And working part time while student teaching and being a mom? It sounds like a nightmare.

I should be student teaching next fall. Our plan right now is to pay off as many of our debts as possible before then, and I'm just going to have to borrow the money to get us through the semester because I'm going to have to quit my job. It's hard enough right now to balance everything. I don't want to jeopardize the quality of my student teaching experience.

I'm sure some people can manage working while student teaching, but I don't see it working for my situation.

23. sarahosu02

sarahosu02 Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

Well i hope you can do it because there isn't anyway I can afford to not work while doing student teaching. All through my BA i had 2-3 jobs but i'm lucky cause now I'm down to one and they have different shifts. I plan to just go to evenings or nights when that time comes and maybe go down to 28 hours a week. Good luck. Keep us posted and remember to breathe! ;)

24. Cme10

Cme10 Rookie

Sep 24, 2008

I am student teaching currently, and living off of my financial aid. However I also moved back home due to personal circumstances and I have very few expenses besides gas to get to and from my school. I spent a good majority on things I needed. I work for a friend of mine who gives me money occasionally, so I have some income, but it could never be tracked as more than volunteer work if anyone really pushed the issue. My university has the rule of no working, but I am not sure how strict it would be. In any case this is my last bit of schooling and I am not doing anything that would interfere with my circumstance. Living off my financial aid has been a challenge. I am not going to lie. It would be the same way with a loan. You have to be able to juggle your time and finances and just how much of a social life you have. If you really need to work but feel worried, talk with your supervising instructor and see if you can't work something out.

25. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 25, 2008

I've decided to put my two weeks in at work. I thought I could work while student teaching. No way. I caught a cold this week so it has been even harder for me. I've saved up a good bit of money. I want student teaching to be over. Don't get me wrong, I love what I'm doing, but it is demanding.

26. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

Oct 2, 2008

I tried to work through my student teaching. I have to honest, it was rough. I was working a few nights a week until 10, then finishing up school work afterwards. I then got up at 5:30 to get ready to teach. During the time I was working, we got short staffed and they upped my hours. Now I was working every night and most weekends. I was exhausted. I think if I did it again, I would find a way not to work during student teaching. I was exhausted, had no free time, and felt unprepared to teach some days

27. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Oct 3, 2008

I have to tell everyone, it is tough. So far I am managing it all, but I am getting little sleep during the week between work and class and homework, plus I am a mom. :eek: I have resigned myself to having no life until I get my degree and am teaching, and even then my life will never be the same.:D

28. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 7, 2008

i gave up on work. i quit.

29. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 21, 2008

It's do-able.

I worked all throughout student teaching and I took a grad course for a portion of it as well. I needed the cash and had no choice. It was quite stressful, but If you need to do something it has to be done.

Going into my first year of teaching my only job was teaching. As the year progressed and I realized I needed more money to get ahead of the game I went back to waitressing.

I'm still doing it now two days a week and it really helps with bills.

It is what it is... if you can handle it good for you. If you choose not to do so (or don't have to) then that is your choice and I hope for some day to be in that comfort zone as well. Personally I was able to manage both so I chose to spend some of my time making a little extra cash to give myself more monetary comfort.

30. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Nov 6, 2008

My college professors basically yelled at us not to work because we wouldn't have time. Although, if you can prioritize your time well, I don't see why you can't. You would just have no free time for ANYTHING. If you can get by on just a part time job - do it - a full time job...man...that would be rough.

Good Luck though!!!

I'm thankfull that I lived on campus and didn't have to worry about bills for the semester.