Having a job during your Student Teaching

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by newteacher08, Jun 24, 2008.

1. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Jun 24, 2008

I have to have a paycheck and have been thinking my husband and I will scoot through the 14 weeks but I don't think we will be able too.

Have any of you had a job during student teaching? Do you still have enough time to spend on lessons and your work as a teacher?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2008

I worked on the weekends while I student taught and it was alright. I had enough time to do my lessons and work eight-hour days each Saturday and Sunday, but it meant that I didn't really have time for anything else. So it is possible, but just be prepare to not have any free time. Good luck with student teaching!

4. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jun 24, 2008

Student teaching here is 2 semesters long so I have to work. We couldn't afford it for a year without me working. I will have to quit my job for the second semester since it is Mon-Fri 8-5. I'm hoping I will be able to get through ST this coming semester while still working!

5. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Jun 24, 2008

Oh wow 2 semesters would be hard to survive without a paycheck.....ours is only 1 semester long (14 weeks)

I am just dreading having to work on my "2 days off" :(

6. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jun 24, 2008

Is there anyway you can just get a night job? Maybe work a couple nights a week and then 1 weekend day? That way you still have one day off? That is what I am contemplating for my second semester if need be.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2008

I waited tables at night. It was tough at first but you learn to cope.

8. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

Throughout college and student teaching (which started my sophomore year) I babysat for extra cash a few times a week. I found babysitting to be flexible with my schedule, which left me with plenty of time to prepare lessons.

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 24, 2008

Idk bout your area but in our area they don't allow you to have a job during student teaching. Although I worked with a lady who worked on the weekends. She was a server at a resturant but only worked on sat and sundays. The rest of the time was student teaching.

10. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jun 24, 2008

It's a pity that student teaching can't be a paid internship. I have a cousin who works as an attorney. While he was a law intern, he made more money than I ever did as a public school teacher. On his internship salary, he was able to buy a one bedroom condo with a view of the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco. Do you have any idea how expensive this condo was? :eek:

With this being said, although I understand and appreciate your situation, student teaching can be quite intensive. It's not just a matter of being at school but it's also writing lesson plans, grading papers, and doing many of the things that teachers do outside of the typical school day.

Have you considered the possibility of taking out a student loan?

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 24, 2008

I worked at a Starbucks during the last eight weeks of my student teaching, I just needed the money! Our location closed at 9pm, and I worked 5-9 a couple nights a week, and usually an eight hour shift during the weekend.

I was a LTS for four months and then did an eight hour shift on the weekend, which I hated!

During student teaching, I found that I was able to adjust. I graded papers on breaks, and learned to function with much less sleep. Good luck!

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 24, 2008

Make sure and check the rules for student teaching at your university. Ours did not allow outside work during student teaching, and they'd drop you out of the class if they found out you were working! I doubt many university's do that anymore, but I'd be very sure (and very discrete) about it.

It can be done, but be prepared to be exhausted! Student teaching is like a job and a half to start with.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 24, 2008

I worked at the same after school program I worked in throughout school- but had to change my site (to be at the school I was teaching at) and work a few less hours. I probably worked 12 - 14 hours a week, depending on the buses. I rode the bus with the kids and got paid until I got home from the bus.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 24, 2008

I worked full time while student teaching. I would go in to work at 4 and work until 9:30 at least four nights during the week, then I would work between an 8 and 12 hour shift on Sat., and possibly 6 hours on Sunday. I made great use of my planning time at school, then worked for a few hours every night when I got home--I usually didn't get to bed until around midnight. It was tough, but I managed. When you need the money, you find ways to make it work.

15. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

My college also has this rule, but I know they do make exceptions for what they considered extreme circumstances.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2008

We were advised not to have jobs in addition to our student teaching assignments, but it wasn't a huge issue if we did.

I had a job as a weekend night auditor at a hotel. I worked overnights on Fridays and Saturdays balancing the computer software, cash, and credit cards. I made deposits, ran reports, assessed room taxes, and did all the other stuff that a regular front desk clerk would do in terms of checking in/out, assigning rooms, making key cards, etc. I really loved the work because I felt like a detective of sorts trying to track down inconsistencies in the money and stuff. Plus, being overnight, it paid extremely well. Even though I only worked 16 hours per week (2 8-hour shifts), I made the same amount of money as many of my classmates who worked 30 hours per week. The main reason why I took that sort of position is because it was only on the weekends, and I knew I'd be exhausted during the week.

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2008

I had a job (about 30 hours per week), took a class, coached a cheerleading squad, and was involved in 4 extracurricular activities at the university. Sometimes I miss constantly having something to do.

18. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

I worked throughout my entire student teaching, I had to. My husband can't support me and him on his paycheck. I worked a lot, about 40 hours a week but I lived. I think I did better because I learned to become organized. I learned to become organized iwth my time and materials. My students did great while I was there, not to toot my own horn or anything. I think it went well. I think it just depends on how you manage yourself, your time and decide what's important to you. During all my preps, I made sure that I did all I could to make sure I got a lot done. So is it possible, yes. Absolutely!!!!

19. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Hello,

It is possible. This is how my experience went

1.) worked Friday nights 3-11, Saturdays 6-3, and Sunday 6-3

2.) Took classes for my minor on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, nights from 5-10pm

3.) Student teaching 7-2:30pm Mon-Friday

It ended up being about 90-95 hours a week of work (not including the grading paper/planning). There were times I cried, wanted to quit, and laughed very hard out of insanity; however; it is possible. Looking back i do not know how i did it. During i just kept telling myself "It is only ______ (#) of weeks left until this is all over" Unfortunately drastic times call for drastic measures and hopefully one day student teachers will be paid, but until then I'll hope for the best for you.

20. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

pontiac8411 WOW!!! That sounds like a crazy and sleepy time in your life :) I will be student teaching from January to June and do not know how I will make it through on saved money and student loans...Hearing you and others have made it through while working gives me hope :)

21. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jun 26, 2008

I had to work! My house was broken into a week before my student teacher started. I had saved for the year before so that I could afford to not work, but with the robbery, I had to put all that money into buying a new computer, fixing up my house, adding more security, replacing things that were broken and insurance wouldn't cover (like ALL my manipulatives etc that I had made for teaching) Was not a good time. I spoke to the school I was at and we made a plan. I wish I could have NOT worked but I had to :(

22. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 26, 2008

OMIGOSH!!! How horrible...but to think you made it work and got through it all is amazing. :) Talk about putting things into perspective when I'm just trying to find time to sleep during ST I'll remember all the other obstacles that the ladies on AtoZ have faced too.

23. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 26, 2008

I worked two jobs during student teaching, plus I had a two year old at the time. It was tough, but I knew that it would only be a couple of months. We just couldn't afford to live off of my husband's salary alone. My one job was at a tanning salon. I work there a few nights a week, and since I basically just had to sit there and set timers on the beds, I was able to do a lot of lesson planning while getting paid :) My other job was at an insurance agency. I had worked there for years, and they let me come in on my own free time to take care of claim forms and policy changes. I also filed folders. I had a key to the place, so I could pretty much go in whenever I wanted. It is possible to student teach while working. I don't think that universities should make it a rule that you can't. They need to understand that bills still need to be paid. Besides, if you're a hard enough worker, it is not going to affect you teaching. You'll be tired, but in the big picture, 14 weeks is not that long :) Best of luck!

24. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

I worked throughout my student teaching. I worked retail and was able to set my schedule up so that I worked Thursday and Friday nights and then during the day on Saturday and Sunday. I needed the money so I made it work. Luckily, I worked when my bulk of stuff was done for my student teaching so it wasn't too bad.

25. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 5, 2008

I tried having a job while I was student teaching--- it killed me. After a few days I had to quit because I could not take the exhaustion and I couldn't find a job that would just let me work on weekends. I understand that some people need an income during this time and have to suck it up and keep a job, but I was a college student at the time, my parents were more than willing to send a little money to help me out, and I did alright since I lived on campus and had a meal plan.

If you could find something on weekends, you should be okay, but it was horrible going from school to a part-time job, to spending another hour or two planning and prepping for the next day.

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2008

Yeah, I think my life looked like this. Our university had the same rule, but it was one that NOBODY followed!

I worked at McDonalds, UPS, and K-Mart. I did a teacher aide job the second half of the year.

Being a single mom, I don't know any other way. I have been working 2 jobs or working and going to school since I was 17. So, it wasn't that bad for me. Besides, the discounts were great and the free food was always good!

Throwing heavy boxes around in a dark UPS truck at 2am in 20 degree below weather was just insane, but hey..we live and learn.

:rolleyes:

27. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

I worked nights during ST at a Hallmark Shop. It closed at 9pm. I also planned my own wedding and got married during ST. I didn't think it was too bad. You can do it, just don't let yourself stress out. You'll do great!!!

28. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

My husband and I got married right before our internship so we had to work in order to have a place to live! We worked on the weekends at a children's home. We were lucky because we were about to get free food that was given to the shelter. We also had really cheap rent ($515) because the apartment complex gave a discount to students from our college. I also had on online course too. Occasionally I would tutor also.

29. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

I kept my job teaching Sunday school/religious school. So, I worked Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons. My master teacher was ok with me cutting out a little early on Thursdsays. I know I spread myself too thin, but we needed that extra money.

30. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

At this point, I have not worked since I have been going to school, but I have an interview scheduled as a teaching assistant next week. All of my remaining coursework is at night, so that is not a conflict, but when they schedule me for fieldwork and student teaching, I am going to have a difficult time.

I am hoping if I do get this position, the district is understanding and allows me to take the time off to complete the hours. I am doubtful that the college will recognize my position as fieldwork/student teaching fulfillment, and I am pretty sure the state will not allow that either, even if I am spending the time in a classroom.

31. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 13, 2008

No they won't view it as good enough. For example , I have asked if when I get to the point and need to start doing my observations of diff. classrooms if I could observe while subbing and they said no! You have to observe a classroom that you are not working in and a teacher other than yourself as an aide or sub.

32. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Check with your school now. I think I've seen students from my school able to do that, especially if they are a long term sub. They likely wont recongnise you as an assistant for your student teaching, but if you transition as you would normally from observer to teacher they might. Get your principal in contact with someone who oversees the field experiances as soon as you can. Maybe something can be worked out.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

Some people can get away with student teaching at their school. I knew of people who were aides or teachers, and they did that. They would teach in another class or building, took leave of absence or sick pay, or worked something out. Two taught their own class! I personally don't think it is fair. It's not allowed, because if it was, almost everyone would do that!!! But if your principal likes you, you can do it, and they back you up!!

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

Some people can get away with student teaching at their school. I knew of people who were aides or teachers, and they did that. They would teach in another class or building, took leave of absence or sick pay, or worked something out. Two taught their own class! I personally don't think it is fair. It's not allowed, because if it was, almost everyone would do that!!! But if your principal likes you, you can do it, and they will pull a few strings, look the other way, and back you up!!

35. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I am sure they will not allow my substituting to count toward my fieldwork/student teaching.

I am also doubtful they will allow assistant teaching to count.

I am going to hope that if I get a position, they will be understanding and allow me to take the time off necessary to fulfill my fieldwork and student teaching obligations. I am going to run it past the college and see what their thoughts are just to make sure, but from the information I have gathered, they are going to want me somewhere I have zero affiliation. This is going to make getting a position tough, or at least make for an extremely tough schedule. I am already going to school fulltime, have three kids of my own, etc.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

exactly! which is why IMO, it is such a dumb rule. I know they don't want anyone to have favortism, but sheesh, how can you realistically be assigned to a school where you do not know somebody, or have kids attending, or not ever worked for a school if you are at least 25 years old? Especially if you live in a small town!

37. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I was a nanny for a wealthy Manhattan family. I worked every other weekend from 7pm Friday to 7pm Sunday. I was able to get some schoolwork done before the family arrived at the "country house" on Fridya night but was then "on call" the entire wekeend as I chased around a set of 3 year old twins. Occassionally I did work at night but not too often....I was too tired usually. The pay got me through but it could have been better..they were cheap.

38. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 14, 2008

On the subject of working during student teaching, how many of you who have already completed your student teaching went to after school activities at your school? I am thinking things like staff meetings, etc.. and how often were they? I ask because I am talking to a family about babysitting but it would be M-F. The nice thing is that it is just a few hours each day so I would still be home by 6, but I would have to leave school almost immediately at the end of the day.

When I did my internship last school year, the school wanted the interns to go to meetings once a month but I never could because I always had class. I don't have classes at night now, but I've never student taught before! When I went to visit my CT, I know she left as soon as the kids did because she had kids at home, and I don't mind going in early to plan. I'm just wondering about a job potentially interfering with other aspects. Any experiences? Thanks everyone!

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I was told that I had to come in early, work thru lunch, and stay late, if that's what the CT did. And the first one did just that!!! The only time she didn't give me a hassle was on the days I had class. :(

I think if you have a solid excuse, they should leave you alone. If you want to leave at 3 on the dot every day...they will be on to you.

At least once a month, there will be staff meetings, trainings, assemblies, parent teacher conferences are twice a year.

A lot to consider......

I would plan on being somewhere by 4-5, but 6 would be ideal. I don't think people who leave as soon as the kids do are in good favor with the P, unless they have made arrangements. In fact in most meetings, that is the first thing they say when people complain. "Well, if you didn't fly outta here at 3:07, maybe you could find time for XYand Z and the new ABC."

Just seems to be an unwritten rule. Your contract says the day ends at 3:30... but..

Nobody really leaves right after the kids...except the aides. Or if you are sick, have an emergency, or it's bad weather. Then everyone is packing up their cars or waiting for rides to get home before the storm.

40. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 15, 2008

The more I think about it, the more I want at least one or two afternoons a week free.

The school I interned in last year, there was was a group of 4 to 5 teachers who would be waiting at the door EVERYDAY while I was taking the last group of kids out for the bus. They literally left as soon as the kids did, unless the principal was standing right there. But her standing right there didn't stop them from hanging out right by the door until 3:35 when they could 'legally' leave. I thought it was really tacky and didn't set a good example for the kids, parents, or myself. Then again, I overall didn't have a great experience at the school, but that's another thread!

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

The entire topic is rather odd, and maybe something we should pursue in the new teacher forum.

I started a lot of new jobs with that go-getter attitude, and was there until the custodian kicked me out.

But as the year progressed, I became frustrated, and left on time.

I think most salaried people are not expected to leave at quitting time. But doggonit, when we want to leave early, you better get out of our way!