Having a few drinks to unwind on the weekends

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MathGuy31, Feb 9, 2019.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 10, 2019

I’ll have about half a glass of wine a few times a year. I don’t like feeling tipsy.

I don’t mind if others drink around me unless they don’t have a designated driver.

vickilyn and futuremathsprof like this.
  2. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

To clarify, it was only for last summer. I realized high school is not for me. (there was actually a thread of me teaching Regents Living Environment with Lab in the summer). I prefer my mid-elementary classroom. To emphasize this fact, I have taught high school English in the late 90s and 2000.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 10, 2019

Since we're confessing, lol, here is mine. Yes, I do have a few alcoholic drinks over the weekend, sometimes the during the week, sometimes nothing at all for a week. I don't go out to drink though. I haven't been to a club for ages and I have never been to bars. (not very classy).
    I used to go salsa dancing 2-3 times a week, and I would have 2-3 Martinis, but I would always dance it off, so it's not like I got drunk. That was years ago though.
    For the past few years my drinking is limited to sitting next to a campfire while I'm camping (pretty much every weekend) or at home after work.
    My dad did suffer from alcoholism, not the kind that leaves you unable to hold on to a job, or live a normal life, or become aggressive. It's just that he drank so much wine / alcohol over the years that he got addicted and his body needed it. He passed away from liver disease almost 2 years ago.

I don't think my drinking a few drinks a week will ever become a problem. I think it requires an addictive personality, and I don't have it. I could be an alcoholic by now. I crave the taste most of the times, other times just for it to take the edge off. I never want to be drunk, or even buzzed. On a side note, I have a high tolerance to alcohol. When I had my shoulder surgery last year and I was on pain killers for 3 months, I weened myself off, then stopped taking them completely. for one day I felt dizzy, the next day a little weird, and I haven't taken one since. So I just don't think I would have an addiction problem with anything.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to make sure whatever you do, it does not interfere with your life and those around you.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 10, 2019

3-4 drinks on Fridays and Saturdays is excessive. From a quick Google search, “In general, moderation means ingesting no more than two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women. ... Moderate alcohol consumption is considered 2 drinks/day for men; 1 for women.”

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 10, 2019

Also, you should try to avoid drinking every single day. Remember, everything in moderation, including moderation.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 10, 2019

When I have a drink, I usually have 2, sometimes 3. But for me the first one almost doesn't count, I have a high tolerance for alcohol. On a side note, I don't drink where I have to drive, it's either at home, at my campsite or if someone was driving.

7. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Feb 10, 2019

In college, I would drink every weekend. Just your typical college-type drinking. Since I've entered my mid-20's and been in the profession for 2 years, I just don't have the urge like I used to. A 2-day hangover just isn't worth it. I'm pregnant now, so obviously I'm not drinking at all now, but before this I had about a month-long dry streak. Not drinking alcohol has many benefits to the body!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2019

I’m not a fan of alcohol. I don’t care for it. I have less than one per year, and that is usually a margarita at the beach if that is where we are on vacation. I’ve never gone out for drinks.

A lot of that is probably because I have lived most of my life in a dry area.

My DH doesn’t really drink either. He did when he was in college, but he grew out of that kind of thing.

We do always keep Makers Mark on hand. I think it is a requirement to keep bourbon when you live in Kentucky.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Yes, I drink on some weekends. I'm 31 and the club/super crowded bar scene is not as fun as it used to be, but I'm in a pretty casual city where not everything is like that on weekends. I haven't drank to the point of feeling sick that night or hungover the next day in years- it's just not worth it to "lose" a day of my weekend. I drink a b vitamin drink before going out, always have water, and if I start feeling really buzzed I stop drinking, at least for awhile. My limit is about 5 drinks if I'm out for a really long time. For example, yesterday we started around 4 and I went home around 10:30.

I have major anxiety about drinking and driving and just don't do it- ever. Truthfully all of the "I got a DUI and now I'm not sure if I can be a teacher" posts on this board over the years has majorly contributed to that. I can't imagine losing your entire livelihood! Even in situations where I know there's no way I'm over any legal limit, I just don't do it because it makes me too nervous. I either take an uber or public transit. I live within walking distance to a light rail station, but going downtown via that route takes a long time- at least an hour by the time I walk there, ride all the way downtown, and walk to my final destination. Coming home is even longer because I haven't timed leaving exactly right with the train schedule and end up having to wait for it to come as well. Late at night they don't come very frequently. Uber takes about 20 minutes, but is typically $20 or more. I've also reached a point where I don't want to spend that much time/money on a regular basis!

I end up drinking about 2 times per month. I don't really "crave" it, but yes I do think going out and having drinks is fun. I've never been someone to have a glass of beer/wine with dinner. I count calories and it's just not worth it to me- I'd rather have more food! I have some beer in my fridge from a party this summer that has been untouched all of these months! If I meet friends for dinner or something during the week, I don't drink because I just don't have time to deal with public transit nor do I want to spend money on uber if I'm not really going to drink that much. As I get older, it's not so much the actual drinking that I'm finding not as fun...it's the dealing with all of the inconveniences that go with it!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 11, 2019

I'll have a drink or 2 if I go out to dinner or out with friends. I love wine and have 3 opened bottles in my fridge right now but they are from Christmas! I guess I can take it or leave it but it's nice to have sometimes.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 11, 2019

I enjoy a glass of wine occasionally, especially to complement some nice cheese and fruit.

I especially love holiday drinks, like eggnog, particularly in daiquiri form. I rarely indulge, because of calories. But, I do love a nice White Russian. I count calories pretty strictly, so it's a rare occasion.

Also, because of my blood pressure, I can't take a lot of cold medicines. My nurse friend said the best thing for a sore throat is a shot of whiskey. So when I'm feeling under the weather, I'll make an apple cider and add a shot of Fireball to it. It's delicious, and medicinal.

12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 11, 2019

I have no problem having a drink or 2 when going out, I won't drink alone and very seldom do my husband and I drink at home.

Of course, being 6.5 months pregnant right now, it has been awhile since my last alcoholic drink! I really don't miss it.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 13, 2019

Like Teacher234, I don't drink alcoholic drinks & haven't ever in my life either. I don't even drink coffee, except for a sip once to see what it actually tastes like. I stay away from caffeine. I try to not drink much soda either.

I drink water mostly, then juices, lemonade, and chilled green tea. I'll treat myself w/ a smoothie here & there.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 13, 2019

When I was counting calories (and lost 35 lbs in 7 months) I couldn't afford to have a drink more than once a week. (not money, but calories). I used to have one cheat day, which is not a very good phrase, because I wasn't cheating, still counted and logged my calories, but I allowed myself to have more, even a lot more. So usually on a Friday or Saturday I had 1-2 drinks. I could only do it one night because usually drinking makes me hungry, so I had to account for the munchies as well lol.

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2019

Ms. I and I sound incredibly similar, drink-wise! I've also never had alcohol (nor coffee, really, blech). I will dive into sweets though, as my way of sitting back and relaxing ;)

Ms. I likes this.