Haven't taught in 10+ years and I have 1 week to complete my application

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kycrazy, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Kycrazy

Kycrazy Rookie

Jun 7, 2020

While searching the internet I came across an article about my local school district and how they were going to use their covid-19 money to buy Chromebooks for every student. Within the article, I read that one recommendation due to the covid-19 virus was to have smaller classroom sizes. I read that to my husband and told him with a chuckle that I may be able to find a local teaching job. I haven't taught in almost 10 years and my teaching certificate is about to expire. However,I search my local school districts and discovered a middle school math position available very close to home.

This position was just posted May 29th however it closes June 13th end. That is less than one week until tonight I haven't really given a thought about returning to teaching this year; however, with this position so close to home I just cannot pass it up.

I need help, advice, motivation, confidence-building, and you-can-do-it help with cover letter, resume building, interview pointers, and whatever pointers you have to offer? Plus, how do I get reference letters from someone I knew 10 years ago?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 8, 2020

What have you been doing for the last 10 years? Anyone who could give a reference? I know I was called as a reference for someone I knew who had give up teaching to go into a completely unrelated field, but I still gave a reference about work ethic, teamwork, etc.

4. Kycrazy

Kycrazy Rookie

Jun 8, 2020

WOW, it has been almost 15 years! The 2004/2005 school year was the last time I had my own classroom. I know that principal is long gone. I did substitute briefly.

I have 7+ years at a community for adults with disabilities. I was in their enrichment center and had the title of rehab instructor. Then, I stayed home to care for my granny 3+ yes. Then I stayed home with my child 3 years. My last position was a call center for higher education online learning support. It was a well paid job that worked with husband hours and child care. I was very good at position and a star employee, until i worked midnights and went to work sick. Unfortunately, I dozed off and got a call. I have already requested reference letters and got no response. But I was filing for unemployment and figured nobody could write a letter about my good qualities. However, I can see some computer trouble shooting skills that may be beneficial if the distant learning continues with Covid 19.

But how do I pull it altogether in less than 7 days and still look like a top pick?

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 8, 2020

Are you still certified?

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 8, 2020

Honestly, unless your area has a shortage of teachers, I’m not sure that you can pull off looking like a top pick, no matter what the timeline. You haven’t taught in 15 years, and a lot has changed since then. I think your best bet is to go in with the mindset that you are not the top pick but be prepared to tell them why they should hire you anyway. What are the qualities and skills that make you stand out from those who are current in the profession? Why should they take a chance on you?

As for the reference letters, I think you might need to think bigger picture, since you’re in such a hurry. If you can get one from one of your supervisors at other jobs or even a former colleague at your old school (or any of those jobs, really), that’s the first choice. But you may not have time for that. Do you have a friend in your community who could write a letter attesting to your good citizenship, reliability, determination, etc. At this point, any letter is better than no letter.

Also, double check with that your certification hasn’t expired. If it’s not in good standing, that’s going to be your biggest hurdle.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 8, 2020

We usually struggle getting math positions, so that could be in your favor if the area is similar. However, a lot has changed in education in 15 years. It could be tricky.

8. Kycrazy

Kycrazy Rookie

Jun 8, 2020

What about an old letter? I have one from a Special Olympics staff from where I coached a few sports. But it is ten years old also.

I looked my certification up, I have 1 year left.

I'm thinking I'm going for the interview practice. However, I'm in a very small community. I may need to sub and get my face known.

9. Kycrazy

Kycrazy Rookie

Jun 8, 2020

With this Covid 19 going there are going to be some immediate drastic changes. I was thinking on focusing on my people skills, teamwork, and maturity.

10. Kycrazy

Kycrazy Rookie

Jun 8, 2020

Yes, I'm good for 1 more year.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 8, 2020

The more recent the letter, the better. Usually within a year or two is best. I would probably only use an old letter if it were both exceptional in its content and directly relevant to a teaching position (meaning it was written by a former principal or teaching colleague). I don't think I'd recommend that you use a 10 year old Special Olympics letter, unless you have absolutely no other letter to include in your application.

Focusing on your people skills, teamwork, and maturity is good. Who in your life could write you a current letter that reflects those strengths?

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 8, 2020

Are they asking for names/phone numbers for references or letters? If they just want names so they can call them I would put down the last people you worked with and they will determine if the references are too old. It can't hurt to try!
    With your resume updated you could always wait for other openings that might pop up too.
    Would you be willing to sub if you don't get a position? Subbing and getting to know people in the district is good. It could lead to a long term sub job where you could get a good reference for the future and possibly lead to a full time position.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 8, 2020

If you haven’t already, become familiar with your state standards. Look at the math curriculum being used by the district so that you understand the progression.

14. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jun 8, 2020

I think it's worth a try. Middle School math teachers are in such high demand. You could say that you bring in experience from outside the classroom. Don't mention that you were let go for missing the call due to falling asleep, though.
    As far as letters of recommendation, I wouldn't worry about that until the interview. Ask at the interview who they'd like to see as references given your situation.

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 9, 2020

Every online application I’ve ever filled out has required that the LOR be attached to the online app. It wasn’t even possible to submit it without having the minimum required number of LOR. That may or may not be the case here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the OP needs to get the letters this week rather than waiting, simply because the application requires it.

16. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jun 17, 2020

Good luck! I'm sorry to say this, but please be aware that many districts have already hired someone before the "posting end date". You have the best chance when you apply the day it is posted, so for anyone seriously searching for a position, you may want to sign up for e-mail updates about job postings.