Have you tried XtraMath?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Mar 23, 2013.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2013

Has anyone tried XtraMath?

I somehow stumbled upon it this past week while I was on spring break. It looks like just the thing I need to individualize my students' math fact fluency practice in my classroom! I'm hoping to start using it when we return to school on Monday.

If you've used it, what did you think? Did you like it or not? Do you have any advice for how to best introduce it to and/or implement it with the students?

I am in a sped resource room working primarily with 2nd and 3rd grade students. I'm considering using the "Extended Six Second" program for my students that have a slow processing speed rather than the default three second program, even though the XtraMath FAQ states that the extended program isn't really for fluency practice. They say that six seconds is too much time to be considered fluency practice because it allows the students to "calculate" the answer rather than "recall" it. I understand and agree with that statement in general, but for a few select students in my math group, six seconds still won't be enough time for them to go through the process of calculating with their fingers or a number line. Thoughts on that? Is is appropriate for me to still call it "fluency practice" if I give them them six seconds per problem instead of three?

Also, if any other sped teachers have used the program, I'd be interested in hearing a) how you might have used the reports for collecting data towards IEP goals, if you did that, and b) how you structured your small math groups to incorporate Xtramath. I have 3-4 students in my group, depending on the day of the week.

I appreciate any insight you can share. :)

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2013

I absolutely love it, and I don't even have my own classroom yet. In subbing, I was introduced to it by a couple classrooms I was in - and have already put it to use with a fifth grader I have been tutoring the past couple weeks. In tutoring, it is perfect because the student can go do this each day on their own time - thus not using up valuable time together to do so. Then, when we do meet, I can provide a quick, individualized instruction on one strategy that relates to problems they are struggling with.

While I would hesitate to answer your other questions, as I am not a sped teacher, the way I see classrooms and myself using it is having students rotate on it (the number at a time depending on the number of computers and length of time you have for it) during independent work / small group meetings.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2013

Thanks for your response, mathmagic! I'm glad to hear that you like it.

In thinking about how to implement it in my classroom, I wondered whether it would be something simple enough for a sub unfamiliar with the program to implement. So, I'm glad that you mentioned that you were introduced to it as a sub. What kind of instructions did you need the regular teacher to leave for you in order to use it with the students?

I like your idea of using the data to provide instruction on a specific strategy for the problems they are struggling with. I'm probably going to have no choice but to have them actually do that practice during my resource group, but I can still utilize the remaining time to work on strategies specific to the program, as well as the other goals we work on.

Since their entire time in my classroom is their small group teacher time, I try not to give too much independent work. (We only have 35 minutes together, four days a week....and that's only when they show up on time and there are no interruptions! It's a rarity!) I want to provide direct instruction as much as possible, so as to make it worth them missing out on the regular ed class instruction. However, I'm thinking I can have one or two of the students doing XtraMath on the computer while I work with the other one to three students at my table. Even though they all work on a lot of the same skills, this would allow me to focus on and provide even more support to each individual student.

Thanks again!

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Mar 23, 2013

I love xtramath! It customizes the problems to each student which is very helpful. My students use it 4-5 days a week and have been since the beginning of the school year. I have all but four students who have passed addition (one hanging out in the 90s) and the other three are on a motivation plan which seems to be helping their focus. I even have two who have passed multiplication (farthest I will let them go in second grade) and are back to addition within 2 seconds. Most of my students are in the latter half of subtraction or on multiplication.

They love it too. It's the most prepared I've ever had students for fact fluency and the most relaxed I've seen students over "testing" facts.

You can always have their goal to be to get the boxes yellow instead of green- under each student, they have a grid with all the facts. Gray means they haven't tested it or they don't know it. Yellows they have right just not within the time limit. Greens are within the set time limit.

6. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 25, 2013

I teach special ed and I use it! I only have one computer, so as they complete their work, I send them one at a time to do it. I love getting the summary of how students are doing every Monday morning! Haven't used it to work on IEP goals yet... Hmmm!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 25, 2013

I teach "regular" ed 1st, and I adore xtramath! It's a computer center almost all of my kiddos love, and I have really seen a lot of growth that I attribute almost exclusively to their time on the computer! I don't have time to do "timed drills" with my kiddos. Xtra math allows me to be working with small groups, have some sweeties working on math games, and others using manipulatives, all at the same time!

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 25, 2013

Are all of your first graders successful with it? I've had some trepidation about it because I have a couple strugglers who have a REALLY hard time with math facts - they really need counters to solve them, and sometimes even then it's iffy. :unsure: I've registered for it and have been wanting to do it especially since I think most of my kids will love it, but I'm worried about those little strugglers.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2013

I'm so glad to hear you all like it! I plan to introduce it to my math group kids this week, just as soon as I get to see them! Snow day today, sped meetings tomorrow, out of building meeting Wednesday.... Guess I'll aim for Thursday!

Oh, and since no one told me it was wrong, I did decide to use the six second version for 3 of the 4 kids that i think truly need it. I'll move them to the three second version when they master the facts with six seconds.

Thanks again for all of your feedback,

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 25, 2013

My strugglers like it, too! They just don't move on (to subtraction) until they've mastered addition. It's a really gentle program as far as the "reaction" when students give a wrong answer - no loud buzzers or anything like that.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 25, 2013

Ok, good to hear. :) I've started using Moby Max math, but I think I will have to find a way to use Xtra math as well...Maybe a couple days a week..

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2013

(I replied within the quote)

13. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Mar 26, 2013

Can the students work on this program at home as well?

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

I have been using it for two years since Peachy first told us about here on this site. I assign it for HW twice a week and during math centers I will pull students one at a time for them to do. I like it bett than flashcards because it includes technology and yoy can see how the students progress. I love that it sends a report once a week too. I am a huge fan of it and have shared it with my team at my new school. Several of the other teachers on my team are now using it.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 26, 2013

Is it free?

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

Yes

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

Yes. That's one of the great things about it.

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 26, 2013

This site looks great! I am definitely setting up my class for it. We already use Khan Academy as an extra for students to do at home, but I love the idea of incorporating this for fluency practice. Sadly of my 20 students, only 3 know all their facts. And I have the second highest group so they're strong in math in general, but not with fact fluency. Am also passing on the site to my principal to share with the lower grades who don't have as much on Khan to work on as the higher grades do.

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 27, 2013

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to assign it for homework, but I have sent the "access" letters home, and about 9 out of my 16 students voluntarily get on it at home!

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2013

I've used it for two years now, and I absolutely love it! One thing I do every week is write down on a sticky note 3 facts that each child needs to work on. They put them on the corner of their desk, and then I have them practice them during some of those random minutes throughout the day.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 28, 2013

I enjoy it, as well! My only complaint is that the website sometimes doesn't work. My students access it through our 6 mini laptops. We do not have problems with any other websites, but almost every time we use Xtra math something goes wrong. Overall, I really like it, though!

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2013

Why are you not allowed to assign it as hw? Is it because it's online?

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2013

I wonder why that would be. I have never had a problem with the site nor have had parents complain of having issues with it. Do you think it might be too many on at once?

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 28, 2013

Maybe, but we don't have issues with any other websites-just Xtra Math.

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2013

Interesting. Well I suppose some of my kids might have had issues with the site and I didn't know about it. Most parents are quick to email me whenever something doesn't work though. For sure I can say we gaven't had issues logging in in the classroom.