Have you taught with a cart?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by NUMB3RSFAN, Jul 15, 2011.

1. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 15, 2011

My husband has recently accepted a study hall position at our local middle school. He will be using a cart to travel to his classrooms each period. Does anyone on here have any suggestions for making life a bit easier with a cart? I've always had my own classroom so I'm no help to him!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 15, 2011

Thankfully I've never done it myself. I hope I never do!

I have had teachers float into my room every year I've taught, however. The last teacher to do so is extremely organized. She had a couple of milk crates, one for each class and one for general supply type things. The two of you together should come up with a list of everything he'd need throughout the day. The teachers that have it all with them on the cart are much more efficient than those that have to send a kid back to their desk and grab something for them.

Things to consider: regular classroom supplies - who furnishes those? I bought my own glue, crayons, scissors, etc. But the school had some of its own in my room when I aquired it. The floating teacher used some of it because she assumed that it was all the school's. I didn't correct her because it wasn't a big deal at the time. But now that the school's supplies are quickly dwindling I will have to protect my stash.

Kleenex - again - who provides it? Band-aids? Is he going to take some with him on the cart or will he rummage through the desk of the teacher whose class he is in?

Is the regular teacher in the room while he teaches or would he rather he/she leave for the period?

Classroom clean up? This was an issue for me. The students would leave all kinds of trash in my classroom for me to pick up each day. I built in time for clean up with my own classroom. I had art students that would leave paint pots and brushes in the sink for days.

He should request classes to float in that are close to each other. At least easily accessible through the halls to each other and his office/desk. Definitely on the same floor!

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2011

I am sure you have probably seen the fold up crate type of carts with extending handles. They also come with fabric inserts that scrapbookers use alot. They have great pockets, etc. for supplies, places for files, etc. that really help keep you organized.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2011

Last year I taught in a total of 9 classes. (Nope, no typo: nine.)

We don't use carts.

I had a copy of the textbook in each of my classes, and just got well organized.

This year I won't have a homeroom, so it looks as though it may get really interesting.

As far as advice goes, color coding is your friend.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2011

I had a cart my first year. Little things...

I decorated my cart. Nothing super fancy; just a poster taped to the front.

Accordion file folders = my best friend. I had three; one for worksheets/notes/overheads; one for student papers in; and one for student papers out. Each class had their own section to help me stay organized.

Pencil boxes: one for students to borrow from; one for my own pens, pencils, dry erase markers, Vis-a-Vis, etc.

I also had a cart that was enclosed on the bottom and locked - made it nice so I never had to worry about my purse. Or my stickers.

Patience: Oh, the cart takes a LOT of patience. Especially pushing it down the hallway during class change.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2011

Will he be teaching with a study hall position?

Get prepared for moving through a mess of kids with a cart. Don't be afraid to ask the students to move out of the way.

Also, always have a back up for the students to work on in the classroom in case you are running late.