Have you taught other grades?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Silmarienne, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Nov 21, 2010

Have you taught other grades, and what would you say about them?

I've been offered the opportunity to switch grades next year, to 2nd, maybe 4th, or MS English (my choice!! :thumb: )

I LOVE Kdg, but I do wonder if an older group would leave me less physically worn out at the end of the day (my one complaint, really).

Mentally, I do thrive on the fun and cuteness and exuberance of Kindies.

So I'm trying to balance it all out and decide.

3. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Nov 21, 2010

I taught second for 5 years, and really loved the kids, the curriculum and the independence that the kids had. I liked it.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2010

I have taught all grades up to 7th grade, gen ed, gifted, and special ed. My favorites are the older grades because they are more independent. I still go home exhausted, but it is more mental exhaustion rather than the physical exhaustion I experienced in the lower grades.

5. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Nov 22, 2010

Thanks--I am very torn, loving Kdg, but having good reason to switch, too. Still thinking and praying about it.

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 22, 2010

I've taught 4th and loved the age and the curriculum. I have also taught middle school language arts, love the curriculum and some of the kids are great but many more attitide problems at that age.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2010

Over time, I've taught everything from 7th to 12th, with a study hall of 6th graders a few times. (My building only has 6th-12th.)

I think that having had a variety of preps has made me a stronger teacher. I know what my kids come in knowing, and what they'll need to know down the road.

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

I taught 2nd grade for years before switching to K. BIG jump in independence... that being said, I found the GRADING tiring. So many more papers to review and grade and I didn't love that part of it. I found, after some time, the kids in 2nd seemed 'older' than before too. I really love K and couldn't imagine going back, but 2nd was still lots of fun... AND you can read some more interesting, higher level books/novels to them too. :)

9. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

That's the only part that scares me. Right now, I'm leaning toward 2nd. But the thought of giving up "my" Kindergarten is heart wrenching. I piloted the Kindergarten at this school (which was 1-12 for decades; I wrote the curriculum and built it up from nothing with almost no money) and thought I'd do it till I couldn't get off the floor from sitting cross-legged anymore. :) Jury's still out though...