Have you subbed in a dyslexic class?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MillerJ, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 26, 2006

I was called today to sub for a teacher who teaches Reading to dyslexic children. English, Language Arts and Reading is my specialty, but teaching dyslexia is new to me (even though I have a touch of it myself...with numbers).

Does anyone have any helpful hints for me?

Friday, I had a dyslexic child in my class and I felt horrible because I asked him why his notes were different from his neighbor's. Being in an adult frame of mind, when he said he was dyslexic I thought he was being a smart alec. Come to find out he really was/is. Boy, I still feel just awful for asking him that.

Anywho, when the sub caller called this afternoon and asked if I would be willing to sub for a dyslexic teacher, I told her yes. It would be wonderful preparation for when I have my own classroom, and most definately a learning experience. I'm always up for a challenge and something new.

Just want to know if anyone has subbed in this type of classroom before. I am of course doing some research to prepare for Tuesday, but real-life insight would be great!

Thanks! Hope eveyone else is having as great of a time subbing as I have had my first week!