Have you started prepping a new class yet?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Jul 13, 2009.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

Oh, and I should add, that I spent a whole week writing up a new phonics curriculum for my K's for next year. I'm psyched!! I can't wait to try it out with them.

It's printed and ready to be copied and put into binders for each one for this year. :)

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

I'm in TX and it's the world today. It does give some history. I'm interested in getting started!

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

Alice, you're still awesome. It amazes me how many teachers do no forward thinking and plan their lesson for the day 30 minutes before school starts. I am so proud to be "surrounded" by teachers who are preparing for their kids in the way we do!

My SO says I am going to have my lessons, classroom, and everything else done before inservice week, just so I can sit in another teacher's classroom and talk while they are working.:huh:

I am working this hard now so I have time to enjoy my life during the school year! Plus I am starting my PhD and want to be relaxed when I am sitting in the classroom twice a week. :thumb:

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

DMBFan36 *waving*

I've taught Ancient Civ for 13 years, would be happy to bounce ideas!

STG - Interesting! So yours is more "regional" like a geography class??

5. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

Thank you,

I am really new at this and I don't even know where to start. I'm really thinking that after icebreakers and settling in stuff I am going to start with a basic "what is history" kind of lesson and then get into timelines and maps.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated!

6. smalltowngal

Jul 14, 2009

That's exactly what it is. And this year the lessons that come with the online curriculum have to be used so no coming up with brillant ideas on my own...the good thing is that it is much like I would have taught anyway so its not too bad for my first year teaching the subject.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 14, 2009

I feel sorry for you that would take the fun out of teaching for me. Are the lessons from the textbook?

8. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I'm slowly getting back into the grove. I went in and worked in my room the last two days, which has helped motivate and excited me for the upcoming year. I have my furniture all situated, so now I'm going to work on bulletin boards next. After that, I'll start getting together materials for our Academic Night and then planning. I have about 2 and a half weeks left before we have to go back.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I went in to school today and finished the last of the cabinets that needed sorting through. Now I have to really get to work on reviewing the curriculum--only 3 1/2 weeks until parent meetings, and I'm on vacation for one of them! The nice part is our room doesn't half to be totally "done" by then; we have two work nights before school starts where parents come and help the teachers get ready. It is SO wonderful; we get help moving furniture, putting up bulletin boards, cutting out lamination, etc. I'm already working on my list...

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2009

Still, boo-hiss: *I* for one know you're smarter than that.

11. smalltowngal

Jul 15, 2009

Not really. They include making powerpoints and brochures and writing letters/essays over the material in the book.

And TG, thank you!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2009

OK, trimester 1 and 2 are outlined, I'm starting trimester 3.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 15, 2009

So you cannont supplement at all?

14. smalltowngal

Jul 15, 2009

I'm sure I can. I haven't really looked at the curriculum besides the textbook and glanced over the lesson. I'll know more once I print those out and really look at them.

15. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Nice work Alice!! I have read through curriculums and started the first 20 days of Writer's Workshop...but that's as far as I've gotten. I've been working full days so I don't have very much motivation when I get home, and when I do I run out of time! Next week I am done at 12:30 everyday so hopefully I will get a lot done then!

16. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I mapped out Science and Social Studies for the year and I am working on putting together when the projects will be done. I still have to map math, English, and book reports. Reading is mostly mapped out.

I haven't even thought about Religion yet.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

I planned my first lessons today! Granted, I only got two done...