Have you seen any good movies lately?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by teacherbell, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Pinkie

Pinkie Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

The Notebook is an awesome movie! Have the box of tissues ready...

2. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 1, 2005

I saw Batman Begins last night at the IMAX theater. It was unbelievable on the huge screen! I have only seen bits and pieces of the other movies so I wasn't sure about this one, but since it's a prequel I was alright. It's about a 2 1/2 hour long movie, but I was entralled the entire time! Definitely a good one!

3. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

Yup, have the tissues ready for The Notebook. Such a good movie when you're in a reflective mood. It will make you look at relationships a little differently!!

I LOVED Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was much truer-to-the-book than the original with Gene Wilder. Willie Wonka was not a "candy man" in the book so much as a "strange and eccentric" character. Johnny Depp pulled it off beautifully. The "unfortunate" comparisons to Michael Jackson can't be helped--but you have to figure MJ read the book ages ago, 'cause I read it over 30 years ago myself!! It is a movie with a message in it too...although the youngsters probably just watch it for the exciting things that happen to the kids.

Also, The March of the Penguins is a must-see. I saw it last Friday. It gave me a lot of good background info for that infamous January unit...and I actually cried about three times in it too. Very touching story, and only about 1 1/2 hours long. Very cool for the over 100 degrees here in California!! :-D

4. AZKristian

AZKristian Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

We rented The Upside of Anger with Kevin Costner. I thought it was pretty good, I am a big fan of Costner's movies. We also rented Million Dollar Baby. It was a really good movie. It was sad, but a good story line.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

Little while ago, but another good movie... Manchurian Candidate. Very thought-provoking movie. Haunting, in a way... but very thought provoking.

Also I Am Sam, if you haven't seen it... was recently on TV. ;)

6. molly628

molly628 Guest

Aug 3, 2005

I rented the Upside of Anger and that movie was very good. But if you are going to the movie theatre, check out Wedding Crashers and/or Must Love Dogs. :)

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2005

I just saw Must Love Dogs and it was great!!!!

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

Tonight we watched the Upside of Anger and I liked it very much. I also rented Million Dollar Baby which we will watch tomorrow. I want to see Must Love Dogs maybe I will get to see it soon

9. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

I also want to see "Must Love Dogs". It is good to know that it is worth seeing!

10. AZKristian

AZKristian Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

I just got back from seeing Stealth. I thought it was good, my boyfriend was not too impressed though. I would recommend seeing it! :)

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 5, 2005

Just rented Dodgeball. NOT a movie to see if you want something that makes you think, etc... but if you're looking for something funny and stupid, it's perfect. ;)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2005

I just returned from seeing Must Love Dogs. It is now my all-time favorite movie. I laughed soooo hard. It was just perfection!

13. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 7, 2005

Ooooh, I really want to see Must Love Dogs. We saw Wedding Crashers last night, and it was really good, but there was a lot of language throughout, which was totally unecesary (sp?) and also some boobs at the beginning. We rented Guess Who, which was really good (although it was late and I fell asleep about 10 minutes before it was over!) I was so bummed. The Notebook is GREAT! So is The Pacifier. someone asked about Mean Girls - it's cute, but don't expect anything too deep.
    I really want to see Bewitched too, but I think I'm going to have to wait for that one to come to rental.

14. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 7, 2005

It's a little older than some of the movies mentioned, but my hubby and I both enjoyed the movie Radio with Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Ed Harris.

15. LucyLane

LucyLane Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

My kids like that one nascarkat.

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 9, 2005

I'm still loving 'Love Actually.' LOVING it.

17. Teach4U

Teach4U Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

Jaicie-

I have Mean Girls. I think it's cute. It reminds me of the movie She's All That.

18. Miss Molly

Miss Molly New Member

Aug 18, 2005

I loved Coach Carter. I just rented Finding Neverland and watched it four times over the weekend;I may buy it.(Johnny Depp stars).

19. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 18, 2005

I watched Fever Pitch on the plane ride home from my vacation. I liked it and it was very cute.

20. karlyn

karlyn Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

I really liked Batman Begins! I was never a big fan of the other batman movies, but this one was good. Christian Bale is now on my personal "top hot actors" list.

21. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 18, 2005

Dragged my daughter on a Sat. night to see 'March of the Penguins", now they are calling it the sleeper movie of the summer! It was short, 1 hour 25 min., but so interesting and actually a movie you are not embarassed to watch with your children. It handled the fact that not all penguins make it tastefully and quickly, but the amount of information they gave was great!

Also saw Skeleton Key with the same daughter. We both were looking forward to seeing it and left the movie theater with different ideas as to the ending. Any of you see it - can you help clear things up for me???

22. D2theMcV

D2theMcV Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

Rent "The Machinist." Weird in a "Memento" sort of way.

23. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 18, 2005

I rented Coach Carter over the weekend and I really liked it.

24. kay

kay Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

I loved March of the Penguins. I, too, thought the more tragic aspects of Antartic life were handled thoughtfully and tastefully. I did cry as I related the story to my husband (I just like that, though).

We saw Me, You and Everyone We Know and it is an absolutely beautiful independent movie.

I think we will go see Broken Flowers next. It's the new movie with bill Murray in it.

We live about two miles from an independent movie theater so we love to walk down and catch a movie on the weekends!

25. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 19, 2005

Finding Neverland....amazing movie. I loved it and will definately buy a copy. It's my new favorite. Of course, Johnny Depp....dreamy...

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 19, 2005

I just got back from seeing Must Love Dogs and absolutely loved it. I love Christopher Plummer, Stockard Channing (although surely some of that was makeup!), Diane Lane, and of course John cusack. It was a really good feel good movie.

27. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Aug 20, 2005

I just saw Hitch and Coach Carter. Both are awesome in different ways! Hitch was hilarious. And Coach Carter was moving and motivating, but I'm sure that's because I'm a teacher.