Have you seen any good movies lately?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by teacherbell, Jul 25, 2005.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 25, 2005

Does anyone have a movie rented or in the theatre that they would highly reccomend? I haven't seen a really good movie in a while. The last movie I saw at the theatre was Batman Begins. It was O.K. but not my choice (my husbands). :)

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 25, 2005

I watched Hotel Rwanda yesterday and it was really good. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that has not seen it yet.

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 25, 2005

We saw Wedding Crashers over the weekend. If you like comedy, it's a good one! You can read about it here:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396269/

We saw Bewitched last month (is it even still showing?) - It wasn't bad - probably better as a rental when the time comes.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 25, 2005

Rented Coach Carter not long ago... excellent!!! :)

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 25, 2005

I also went to see The Wedding Crashers this weekend. It was really funny.

7. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 25, 2005

Hitch was a cute movie. I would reccomend it for a rental.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2005

There is an HBO movie - The Girl In The Cafe - that is really good. It is still being shown at various times.

I just saw Tuck Everlasting on tv last night and loved it.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

I just loved the Hallmark special of "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" You can buy it on DVD. I got mine a Target.......I cry at the hallmark commercials.....needless to say, I keep a box of tissues handy on that one!

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 25, 2005

My hubby and I finally went to see War of the Worlds. Hubby said that he liked the original better. This new one is really the story of a father getting his two children through the experience. It was very intense/exciting. But, at the end there seemed to be some questions left unanswered.
    We saw Wedding Crashers last weekend. That was funny. The two guys really played their parts well. And, I love Christopher Walken.

Has anyone seen the documentary - March of the Penguins - narrated by Morgan Freeman? It is out in the big theaters around here. That might be a good one to watch on a hot summer day.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

I LOVE Christopher Walken too!!!!! I didn't know he was in that movie. I may have to go see it now. I didn't see the March of the Penguins, but I am hoping it comes out on DVD before next Jan. as I always do a penguin unit with my kinderbeaners then........would be a great followup for us!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

I want to see Willy Wonka...I am madly in love with Johnny Dep.

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 25, 2005

I hear Willy Wonka is good, I hope to see it sometime this week.
    I saw Wedding Crashers which was very funny.
    A few weeks ago I saw Cinderella Man which I thought was really good.

There are a few movies I want to rent such as Million Dollar Baby

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

My daughter just saw Willy Wonka last night. She said it was weird, you know TIm Burton.....plus we love the original with Gene WIlder....he's the best! BUT..........Johnny Depp!!!!! :) I know what your saying Grammy Teacher!

15. newbie3teacher

newbie3teacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I watched Million Dollar Baby last night. If you have not watched this movie, you should rent it. It was excellent!!! :)

16. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

Monster in Law is very funny. I saw it in the theater. It should be out on dvd soon.

17. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 25, 2005

Is anyone going to see the Bad News Bears? I am always leary of remakes.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 25, 2005

I saw the Chocolate Factory... the kids did a GREAT job, VERY believable... and grandpa is funny. I still haven't decided if I like Depp's Willy Wonka or not... he's different than Wilder's... not a bad different, just idfferent.

Saw Wedding Crashers tonight, I thought it was funny. :) I want to see March of the Penguins and Bad News Bears... and my parents said Cinderella Man was really good... I loved mIllion Dollar Baby, as well.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

My niece and I watched Are We There Yet. It was funny.
    At the camp I was at last week we went and saw the new Herbie. It was really cute and I didn't hear a single cuss word in it. Very unusual for a movie today.
    I'll probably watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because of Johnny Depp, but I really don't like many of the remakes. I know for a fact I will NOT watch the new Bad News Bears (didn't love the original and can't imagine Billy Bob Thorton in it.)

20. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 27, 2005

Hands off Johnny Depp, girls. He's mine.

We liked The Fantastic Four; it was silly but fun.

Word of advice: Save your money and do NOT take your kids to see Shark Boy and Lava Girl. It was quite possibly the stupidest movie I've ever seen, and the three children I took to see it agreed. Save your money for Batman Begins and Harry Potter in November.

21. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2005

I saw War of the Worlds and I hate Sci-Fi movies but it wasn't bad , we went for my mothers birthday and she really like it!

I heard Willy W. was not worth seeing if you loved the original ???
    I really want to see Must love dogs, I am a sucker for a good romantic comedy!

22. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Great rentals!

Here are some awesome rentals that I've enjoyed in the past few months. (Some of 'em have probably been out for a while now ... I'm a little behind the times!)

Shall We Dance? (Richard Gere, J. Lo, Susan Sarandon) -- great ballroom dancing! funny and touching
    Under the Tuscan Moon (Diana Lane, Sandra Oh) -- sweet, funny, great characters. Some very handsome Italian actors!
    Sideways (Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church) --black humor, wild characters, unpredictable storyline
    Whale Rider (Keisha Castle-Hughes) -- beautiful, very touching, incredible cinematography in New Zealand, unpredictable story
    13 Going on 30 (Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo) -- cute, fun, sweet story

Has anyone seen Mean Girls, Vanity Fair, or The Notebook? I was thinking those might be good rentals ...

Hubby and I want to see Batman Begins and Fantastic Four this week!

~~Jaicie :)

23. LucyLane

LucyLane Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I plan to marry Johnny Depp one day, he doesnt know it yet. I didnt compare it to the original, which by the way CREEPS ME OUT!!! :)
    I second Whale Rider. Its such a touching story, makes me cry everytime I watch it.
    If you dont mind subtitles I recommend Babbette's Feast. Lovely.
    I'm pathetic, I watch Sense and Sensibility every dang sunday.
    Dance Me Outside is a good one to rent. I'm also going to marry Adam Beach, after I marry Johnny Depp.
    Another Adam Beach movie, Wind Talkers. The story of Navajo code talkers, just keep in mind there were code talkers from several tribes.
    Chocolat. yum

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

Jaicie, my mom loved the Notebook, although I haven't seen it yet... I find it interesting that you liked "Sideways," I TOTALLY didn't "get" it and didn't enjoy it at all!

I enjoyed "Anchorman," just because I think Will Ferrell is HILARIOUS... my parents didn't really enojy it, though... from what other people have said, it seems to be a "midwest humor" sort of movie

25. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Clarnet73, I'd heard that The Notebook was excellent; sounds like it's worth renting. I also loved Anchorman! Will Farrell cracks me up. He was hirarious in Old School. Those are the kinds of movies that my husband and I like to rent. :rolleyes: Then when he's out w/ his guy friends, I rent "chick flicks", as he calls them!

I love Chocolat and Sense and Sensibility, too. I'd watch those again any time!

Sideways was pretty weird! We rented it because it'd been nominated for so many awards ... figured it must be worth seeing. I liked it because the characters were so complex, not necessarily likeable, but yet you wanted them to find some happiness somehow ...? The storyline was completely unpredictable, too; you had no idea what was going to happen next, and I like that.

We rented Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events the other night. Had no idea what it was about. (Hubby is a huge Jim Carrey fan.) I liked it; he didn't.

~Jaicie

26. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jul 28, 2005

The Notebook is wonderful, but grab your tissues!

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

Mmmmmm Chocolat. I loved Whale Rider at the theater but it was on tv the other night and it just didn't translate too well. Under the Tuscan Sun was one of my favorites and I can't wait to see Must Love Dogs. My all time favorite movie is Legends of the Fall.

28. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

Haven't seen Lemony Snickett yet, bf doesn't think he's interested, so I'll wait til he goes back to school ;) I've read the books, though, so that'll help.

Comedies, I loved Jack Black in School of Rock!!! :)

29. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Jul 28, 2005

we enjoyed Wedding Crashers and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Both were very entertaining

30. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

:eek: have u watched "THE RING". the scariest movie i have every seen. i actually screamed in the theater when i saw the girls face

31. AZKristian

AZKristian Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I went and saw Bad News Bears. I was not that thrilled by it. The children that played in the movie had quite the mouth on them. Defiently do not take your young ones to this one. Billy Bob was funny, but otherwise it wasn't a "gotta see it" movie.

I have also seen The Island. This movie was good, better than I expected. The plot is a little different, but a good movie to sit through and watch.

My boyfriend and I go to the movies every weekend, so we see all the new movies that come out. Ever want to know how a movie is before seeing it, I am the gal to ask. ;)

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

Willy Wonka?

33. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 28, 2005

Must Love Dogs looks like it will be a cute romantic movie. I have loved John Cusack ever since I saw him in "Say Anything".

I hadn't read the Notebook before I saw the movie and I had no idea it was going to be that sad!

I love reading everyones reviews. It is going to make renting movies a lot easier!

34. AZKristian

AZKristian Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Grammy Teacher, I think you are asking me. If not I will give my thoughts on it.

I was not that impressed by it. Although, Johnny Depp was very funny in the movie. But the umpuf guys (little guys) were not that orignal and not original with their songs about the kids. All in all I am a fan of the old version of Willy.

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

thanks Kristian

36. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Jul 29, 2005

My friend and I just rented Sliding Doors with Gwyneth Paltrow...it was quite good, a twist in the end...you've got to pay attention but we liked it. It's old...1987? My gosh does Gwyneth ever look like her mother!

Sorry girls, but Johnny Depp creeps me out...love the old Charlie movie too much to try the new one. :eek:

The Notebook is also a wonderful book, as is The Five People You Meet in Heaven, though both movies were fairly true to the books.

I'm glad to hear that the Herbie movie was foul-word free...now I can safely take my kids and not hear the bad words come out of their mouths for the rest of the week! Thanks. My youngest is 4...is it okay for him?

We just saw Bewitched this past week and my friends and I thought it was too cute...nothing stressful, light and fluffy! I loved the references to the Wicked Witch from Oz...watch for the falling lights and the legs with red shoes sticking out from underneath! LOL! I love Will Farrell and Nicole Kidman.

37. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 31, 2005

I saw The Wedding Crashers today and I thought it was funny. However, it could have been just as good without the language or the nudity. If you liked Old School you will like this movie.

38. swren

swren Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I also rented Million Dollar Baby. It is a excellent movie!!!
    I'm a Clint Eastwood fan!

39. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

We watched Hitch and The Pacifier on DVD. Both were hilarious. Great movies to just kick back and relax to. My niece and I watched The Perfect Man in the theater and really enjoyed it. (Chris Noth...who could go wrong?)

40. swren

swren Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Hey check out Meet the Fockers! What a funny movie!!! If you don't laugh something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 1, 2005

My husband and I rented "Coach Carter" and I absolutely loved it. I'm not one for watching movies because I get too bored too quickly and it's hard for me to focus that long, but this movie captured my attention from the very beginning and continued throughout the movie. I love these kinds of movies when kids start believing in themselves. Great movie!!