Have you received any Christmas gifts...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Dec 20, 2007.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Dec 20, 2007

from your students? If so, what were they?

3. campinggirl

campinggirl Rookie

Dec 20, 2007

I have received some ornaments, chocolate, coffee gift cards and wine. I love the ornaments! When I start putting up my own tree it will be very eclectic.

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 20, 2007

Ornaments, Cocoa &cookies in a giant mug, and a Walmart gift card.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 20, 2007

Tons of baked goods, bath stuff, starbucks cards, barnes and noble cards.

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Dec 20, 2007

Lots of gift cards...Longhorn, Walmart, Target, Starbucks, TJ Maxx; lots of homebaked goodies, ornaments, a windchime, bath stuff, a teacher mug...

7. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Dec 20, 2007

gift cards, books, candles, ornament, candy/popcorn/baked goods

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 20, 2007

Gift card to Olive Garden and Michaels, a candle, and 2 candy canes.

9. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Dec 20, 2007

bath stuff, candles, gift cards, candy

10. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Dec 20, 2007

I've gotten some really nice gifts! Gift cards, stationary, a cute candle holder, an adorable teacher picture frame I put a picture of the class in, a silver snowman bell engraved with 2007 (so I would always remember my first year of teaching, the boy who gave it to me said. :)) Not one "#1 Teacher" mug, magnet, or ornament yet! (And you know, it's my first year of teaching, so I would cherish all of that stuff. ;))

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 20, 2007

I am amazed at how many gifts I have gotten this year. I never get very many and so far (we have 1/2 day tomorrow) only 6 of my kids haven't brought me a gift. Most have been small gifts (mugs, hot chocolate mixes, etc). Some that nicer ones have been: a collection of frog ornaments (I collect frogs), a teacher tshirt, a gift card to a teacher supply store, and this (it's a painted papyrus - brought to me by a former student and his brother who I have this year)
    [​IMG]

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 20, 2007

So far a bear with a balloon and candy, an ornament, and a litte pink purse! hehe

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2007

Two candles, Starbucks card, Barnes and Nobles card, Macy's card, a box of truffles, body butter and soap, Starbucks cookies, two or three ornaments, three wooden angels and three little candles.

I give each child a thank you card with a candy kiss taped to the front. When the news got out that I was doing that, I got an old eraser and a toy from McDonalds.:haha:

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 20, 2007

I've gotten a bunch of stuff, and expecting more things tomorrow.

-scarf
    -trail mix
    -gift cards to various places
    -hot chocolate mug mix
    -bath and body stuff
    -Coach (!!!!!) wallet (this was a SHOCK!!!)
    -candy apple
    -muffin mix with various sprinkles (last year, this child's teacher gift was a stocking full of turtle wax and other car care stuff...)

But my favorite, and winner of "most unique gift"... my co-teacher and I each got a mug with a picture on it of us with this child that mom took at our Winter Program. I've been showing it off all day because it's so unique!!! (They also gave us CASH, woohoo!!!!)

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 20, 2007

Wow, you guys and your fancy gifts!:wow:

16. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Dec 20, 2007

I teach really poor kids. So far I have gotten a crushed up band aid.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2007

It's the thought that counts, City. :(

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2007

I rarely get anything from my special ed. students. The most presents I received was when I left to move back to Canada. I teach a lot of underpriveleged students this year so I am not expecting anything other than the plate full of homemade desserts I received from one family.

19. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Dec 20, 2007

What I said is not entirely true, they make me drawings all the time :) And playdough cakes. I can't complain since they are so super. But it makes me sad to think that most of them don't get a traditional holiday, though they do get presents at school.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 21, 2007

I got a gift card to a book store, a 4 lb box of chocolate cookies, dominoes for my class, candy, and lotion.

21. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 21, 2007

I've only gotten a couple of gifts and they have all been bath stuff... I'm not really sure what to think about that but i guess they didn't get me toothpaste!!! HA HA

I do have a story to share about this though. One of my 7th graders noticed another teacher writing thank you notes to the kids that brought her gifts. He muttered something about "I can't do that" and then went straight back to his desk and made her a picture saying "I can't buy you a gift but I appreciate you anyway":hugs:.... We took up a small collection for him today (for him to keep secret) because we know that he will spend it on someone else for Christmas.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2007

I teach in a low SES school so I haven't recieved grand gifts. One of my most favorite gifts was one of those ferris wheel photo frames that I got this year. Another favorite gift was a homemade necklace (that got lost :( )
    Another all time favorite gift was a recipe for vegan sugar cookies. SO GOOD!!!!!
    Oh, another neat gift was a book that my kinder student wrote.

23. missidy

missidy Rookie

Dec 21, 2007

This is my first year at the private school I'm currently at. I knew there were very well-off families, but I didn't expect anything for Chirstmas. I was very surprised (and almost felt guilty receiving such great stuff) when I was given gifts. Many students pitched in and got a gift card to a dept. store...four hundred dollars!!!!! I couldn't believe the amount! I also got a beautiful glass platter and bowl set, a day at the spa, book store gift cert, 2 picture frames, bath and body works gift cards, wine & champagne, chocolate, an expensive scarf, tea towels, a necklace.... I don't mean to brag. I was blown away with all the gifts. The other teachers got amazing things as well. The funniest part I think, is I didn't get a single "teacher gift" of an ornament or trinket.
    I will be leaving my school next year because i'm moving, and have to tell myself over and over and over that I will never get gifts like this again!

24. yclark

yclark Comrade

Dec 21, 2007

Two years ago, I got a handmade fleece blanket that my family fights over when we're laying around watching tv at night. My 11 year old son has deemed it the "best teacher present I ever got". I have that child's sister in my class this year and mentioned to the mother during the Open House that my son has given her gift this title. On our last day, I got another one!!!! The only thing is that the little girl said, "Your son can use the old one and we made this one pink so your daughter could use it and they wouldn't fight." I'm thinking, "Wait a minute....best TEACHER present ever. Why are my kids benefiting from this?" It wouldn't surprise me in the least to get a third.

25. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 21, 2007

I have got a cake plate, cake server, candle, ornament, another gift card, more lotion, and some candy.

26. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2007

The school district where my sons attend school has a policy against teachers accepting large gifts (I think over $20 or so). The class parent's job is typically to organize giving a group gift to the teacher (which I think they can accept, since it's not from a single parent, though the rules are a bit hazy). A lot of the parents would like to give more than they really can under the current rules, though.

27. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Dec 21, 2007

My kids are poor too, but two of them brought me some candy, which I shared:D. Remember I am the evil one who did not have a party. But they still love me anyway. I got lots of hugs and pictures saying I am the best teacher ever:2up:

28. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 21, 2007

Candles were big this year. I also got a couple of household decorations, a basket from Bath and Bodyworks, a Starbucks gift card, a hot cocoa mix canister, and a couple other odds and ends. Surprisingly, no mugs or Christmas ornaments this year. That is a first.

29. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2007

I got too much candy and cookies (I'll eat all of it!), a mug with candy, a mug with a mug warmer, a scarf, bath salts, colored pens, note pads, a beaded chain for my name tag, and gift cards to walmart, borders, movie gallery, and a teacher supply store. Some of the cards and what they wrote inside were the best things. And one of my parents put in a picture of my student and his brother and it's the cutest picture I have ever seen. She needs to submit it for a magazine!

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2007

Of course it's the thought that counts! But it's still funny! We used to be districted with a very poor neighborhood, and then the lines changed, and this year they're back in our school zone. And we missed them so much! We've all been laughing over the wonderful "unique gifts" given to us with such love. We love them because there is such a true spirit of giving in them.

31. shouldbeasleep

Dec 21, 2007

By the way, this year I told my kids (unique group--out of 22 I have either taught older siblings, am personal friends with the parents, or they are the children of faculty members) that I didn't want any gifts just for me--I really wanted class games for inside recess! And wow, did they follow through for me! We turned it in to part of the party, and I let the kids open them one at a time and they all got so excited about them! I included a few that I found (inexpensive, and also my gifts to them in two big boxes.) Everyone had something to open. It was like when I was young growing up with five siblings and all the games would be openned. I loved it, and I think I will always do this.

32. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2007

AND another candle, another candle set, a hot cocoa set with a mug and spoon, another hot cocoa set with a little whisk, a little Chinese doll outfit (?) an angel ornament and a reindeer ornament.

33. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 21, 2007

I didn't get many presents this year -- I was kind of surprised, because I usually do. However, parents sent in drinks and snacks for a party, and we had enough food and drink to feed a large army!!! Anything that wasn't perishable, I kept for later.

If I had handed out everything, each child would have gotten 13 juice boxes, 18 holiday cookies, 5 holiday cupcakes, and huge quantities of chips and candy. One really cool parent sent 4 large pizzas! It was so nice to have something that wasn't sweet.

Oh yes, and then the music teacher showed up with ice cream sandwiches for everyone!

Talk about overload!

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 21, 2007

I usually get ornaments, homemade cards, maybe candles or bath stuff. I can usually count on at least one box of candy or cookies. This year a group of parents pooled their money and got me a bunch of gift certificates to the movie theaters!

35. Chrissy71

Chrissy71 Rookie

Dec 21, 2007

I got a couple different sets of coco mix, a coffee set, See's candy, nuts, a huge container of Ferrero Rocher, bath stuff, $45 dollars worth of Starbucks gift cards (I am excited about that!!!), a tea cup, a hand made bird house wind chime, gift card for the mall, and a candle. :)

36. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Dec 22, 2007

I received two Starbucks totaling $35.00, $150.00 card to the local mall, $25.00 to Target, $25.00 local gift store, $25.00 to Kohls, pretzels with mustard, huge Godiva gift basket (I can't ever eat all those chocolates!!), homemade soap, homemade jelly, ornaments, cookies, amethyst necklace and earrings, cocoa, chocolate popcorn, $20.00 gift card to Maurices... that's all I can think of right now.

37. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2007

I teach middle school in a rural community with students who have either a really high SES or a really low SES and very little in between. My group of students I have this year are mostly low SES but I did recieve a few things...

I got a handpainted ceramic heart made in art class from my youngest student who said I was the "best best teacher ever".

I got a platter of cookies and a book from other special ed teachers.

I got a nice pumpkin candle from one of the other teachers at the school.

A homemade ornament, lots of cookies and cakes from kids in other classes who brought food for all the teachers...

and lastly someone donated a box of homegrown cucumbers to the teacher (which I thought was great) but I couldn't take any home because I was flying out of state that night.

38. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 22, 2007

Add... barnes and noble card
    cookies
    tea set
    teachers are great book (and a plant for the classroom!)
    2 chili's gift cards
    homemade ornament and cookbook
    more hot chocolate mix
    poinsetta
    lots of chocolates

I was SHOCKED at the stuff!!!!!!

39. shouldbeasleep

Dec 22, 2007

Send the Godiva to me! I can't ever get enough Godiva chocolate!:haha:

40. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Dec 23, 2007

i got lots of gifts this year including gift cards, house decorations, etc. but my favorite gift was my Webkinz polar bear and gloves. I had asked some of my students about what the webkinz were all about...so we had our secret santa exchange andi noticed as i was handing out the gifts one at a time that there was a bag with no name on it-- so at the very end one student yells out "there's one left!!" and i said i know-- there is no name on it! and they all yell out "its for YOU!!!!" and they told me how they had pooled their money to get me my very own webkinz and a really nice pair of gloves for my hands for recess! it was so sweet and really blew me away with how they pulled it off without me knowing-- they were organizing secret meetings at recess. i will cherish that little polar bear forever!

41. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2007

That is soo sweet Calalilly :) Things like that mean so much more when there is such a story behind it.

I forgot one other thing, one of my girls brought me a carnation :)