Have you read Divergent? If so, what faction would you be in?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Caesar753, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

I just finished the book over the weekend. I actually read the entire thing in one day. I loved it!

For those who have read it....What faction do you think you'd be in, just based on the characteristics of the faction (and not on any spoiler-type decisions of the faction)?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 30, 2012

I haven't read it. What's the gist it?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

It's young adult dystopian. The basic premise is that the people of this particular city/nation are divided into five factions. The factions interact and work together to support the needs of the city/nation. One faction is responsible for providing security, another runs the government, etc. Each faction shares certain core values, and the people of each faction share particular characteristics and personalities. For example, the Abnegation are selfless and do a lot of work to help the poor, the Candor value truth, the Erudite value intelligence, etc. In the story we follow a young girl as she is about to participate in the Choosing Ceremony, where she gets to pick the faction she's going to live with for the rest of her life.

It's an amazing story. The sequel comes out tomorrow!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

I loved the book and am waiting to purchase the sequal tomorow!

For me, it would be a tough choice between Candor and Amity.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

I'd like to think I could be Candor, but the truth is (haha) that I would lie to save my own life or the life of someone else.

Amity would be good, but it might be a little too hippy-moonflower-rainbow-sunshine for me. I think that I'd make a good Erudite.

7. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Apr 30, 2012

I haven't read it, but it's on my to read list--Iam looking forward to hopefully reading it this weekend.
    I know dystopian YA is very "in" right now--some I do like (loved The Hunger Games trilogy) but not all (thought a lot of Matched was very ripped-off from The Giver and couldn't get through The Forest of Hands and Teeth). I've read a few others, but nothing that stands out.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2012

I just downloaded this on my kindle...I'll have to let you know!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 30, 2012

Love that book, and could never decide which faction. Thanks for the heads up on the sequel-I can never keep track. I'm still waiting for the sequel of Ashes, although the zombies really freak me out.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2012

Now I'm interested, but I don't want to pay $10 to buy it on my kindle! I'll have to see about going to the library this weekend.

11. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 30, 2012

I misread the title and thought you said "fraction" instead of "faction". So my brain put "divergent" and "fraction" together and thought of the infinite series of 1/n.

You know the semester is almost over when... :haha:

12. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

May 1, 2012

The sequel comes out tomorrow? AKA Today? I just got really really excited, because I just finished it last night and absolutely LOVED it. I'd be Dauntless (the non-cruel kind) or Erudite.

13. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 2, 2012

I am a known elitist and sequipedalian, lacking in social graces, with a mind burdened with the archaic and the arcane. I guess it would be Erudite, but do they have any openings for hermits? (Though I wouldn't mind emerging from my cell from time to time to throw down a few lessons.)

Wait: that's my life now!

14. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

May 6, 2012

Just read it yesterday and really enjoyed it! (I've started the sequel and am a few chapters in.) I think I'd end up in Abnegation, though secretly I'd envy and admire those in Dauntless.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

I'm halfway through the first one and I love it! Even though they make them sound bad in the book, just based on what they're originally supposed to stand for, I'd be a Erudite hands down. I think I could cut in Candor too, but in the end I'd honor the pursuit of knowledge over absolute honesty. Amnity and Abnegation both seem boring to me, and I there is no way I'd have the guts for Dauntless. I'd fail the first day when they wanted me to jump on/off the train!

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 6, 2012

Just got the book from the library, but won't have time to start it until at least the end of the week...

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

I just saw the book on scholastic when I was placing my book orders. So I ordered it with bonus points! I'm looking forward to reading it.

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 13, 2012

Okay, so deciding to do a little reading and start the book before I went to bed last night was not the wisest decision--I was up really late finishing the whole thing!

19. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2012

I think you all made me decide to read it this summer!

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2012

I went to put a hold on the sequel, but my library doesn't have a copy yet. I don't usually buy books, but I may have to in this case...