Have you overcome a bad student teaching situation?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by milteachwife, Mar 14, 2012.

1. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

Mar 14, 2012

:help: I need to read a few success stories. My experience was horrifying. I am career changer of sorts, I taught adults but decide at some point that teaching kids might be fun. Now it looks like I won’t teach kids unless I move to a state where employing provisionally licensed teachers isn’t taboo. I would like to know where (state or more specific) and how you overcame obstacles to getting your professional teacher license. There are many obstacles out there. Testing requirements, college professors, clinical advisors, and (for me…lazy) host teachers can all be obstacles for people that may very well become wonderful teachers. I know this is true because I send my kids to a Baptist church school. They only have a handful of teachers. Only a few have completed teacher certification through the American Association of Christian Schools, and none of them hold state teaching credentials. The school is only PreK-6, so the children must either find another private school or attend public schools. All of the families are amazed by the easy curriculum in the public schools, and all students are successful regardless of where they complete their education. Teacher certification may increase the likelihood of success in the classroom, but it is not a guarantee. How did you find success in when facing obstacles to your licensure?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 14, 2012

Just asking for a little clarification. There's a difference between having a rotten student teaching experience that leaves you bitter vs. having one so negative that your school doesn't give you full certification. What happened to you, if I may ask? There are different answers depending on your situation.

4. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

Mar 14, 2012

I didn't complete my clinical experience. I was miserable. I passed 3 of my 4 evaluations with my clinical supervisor. However, I didn't complete the course or attempt the 4th eval b/c the assistant principal evaluated me and said I should be further along. My host teacher never taught anything. She expected me to take over from the beginning but gave little guidance. She would come in every morning to socialize with her co-workers but, never provided feedback to me on ways to become more success with her students. My clinical advisor would tell me to take the lesson plans to her in a week in advance. But rather than critic or even reject them she would say they were fine. However, when my host teacher was tired of me, she decided to go to the principal to get rid of me and she did. I was hurt. The day before my horrible eval, I sat in on a academic progress meeting for the grade level. I sat there quitely and listen to grown women cry because their students (4 classes) had not retained or learned anything for the entire school year and the principal wanted answers. I'm not sure if there was anything I could have done to improve my outcome, other than quit after the first day when I saw that the students were undisciplined and the classroom looked like a junkyard. You live you learn. I've subbed now for a year and my host teacher's class is still the worst I've experienced.

5. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

Oh I have! I really just wanted to hear/read some positive stories. I wanted to inspire some down on luck folks and let them know that good things can happen after a bad student teaching experience. I’m not the only person that has encountered trouble. Some students are having trouble passing exams. Some have trouble with their advisors. Immediately following my horrible experience I was really feeling down. I took a lot of important lessons from my experience that will guide me for the rest of my life. I graduated in February and last week I finally started putting in applications for jobs in the field of education. Right now, the market is tough. Without certification a public school teaching position unattainable for me. However, a college is considering me for a clinical experiences coordinator position. The interview was good, but it might not be the right job for me. However, the thought of doing my part to prevent horrible placements is delightful. Better still, I have opened my mind to the many other possibilities that are out there. When one door closes, another opens…

6. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Mar 16, 2012

If I had been removed from my host school, based on one horrible evaluation from the cooperating teacher, I would have demanded that my university liaison find another placement so I could finish and finish the credential program. Was the university liaison was okay with your performance?

I just can't imagine working as hard as I have to get to this point and then just being able to walk away from it.
    Sheilah