Have you heard of Microsoft One Notes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by runnerss, Jul 6, 2009.

1. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I just got a new laptop and had Office 2007 installed. Microsoft One Notes was included and I had never heard of it before. It is the coolest thing ever. You can literally make an electronic notebook with Tabs. If you use it, what are some notebooks that you have made. I made one for my Special Ed students and I have a tab for each individual student. Share your ideas if you have it!

3. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I have it, but haven't done anything with it yet! Hmmm, maybe I need to play around with it!!

4. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 6, 2009

I love OneNote...
    On my school computer I have:
    - A "Student" notebook with tabs for students - each student has a page with pictures, basic information, parent contact, and test results/IEP information. The pics and basic info are also in the Substitute notebook.
    - A "Substitute" notebook with the student pages, and tabs for locations of necessary items, procedures (both class and emergency procedures), rosters for each class, and extra little bits of info that might come in handy.
    - A "Paras" notebook. Each para has a page and I track their professional development, vacation, comp/overtime, and any concerns teachers have expressed.
    - A "Technology" page that I use to track any technology that I use in class (model numbers, serial numbers, students who need the assistive tech, and when/if we have problems with any of it).

I also have OneNote on my computer at home and I use that I use for nearly every aspect of my life. The possibilities are endless. I think it's really the most useful of the Office programs (and I'm an Excel Queen at my school).

5. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 6, 2009

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!! Check out the user's guide (or whatever it is) that comes with the program because I'm sure as you go through the guide you will start to think "Oh, I can use it for this.... oh, and that... oh, and all that other stuff too!"

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

For Mac users: this functionality is basically built into Word 2003 and higher for Mac. It is useful.

7. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

Yes, I can see by reading the various resposnes that it is definetly something i need to take a closer look at!

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

I have tabs for faculty meetings and professional development.

My students all have tablet pcs. I had them create a Language Arts notebook and they have tabs for literature notes, vocabulary and grammar. I'm considering them using OneNote for interactive notebooks next year.

9. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

Sounds like a cool program. I am in the process of picking a new laptop, and I was considering the pros and cons of 2007 as opposed to 2003. This is definately a point for 2007!

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. I am QUEEN of notebooks, but I lose them. I figured I wouldn't lose my computer. :lol:

2007 is way better then 2003. There is so much you can do and once you get used to the format it is way easier. I have been using 2007 for a couple of years and my other laptop broke, so I had to use our old computer that had 2003. I could hardly stand it. 2007 is much better.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

I've downloaded the trial version. It gives me 60 days to play with it. I'm going to see if it is as useful for me as for many of you!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

I had it on my home desktop for a long time, but never used it. Then I got it on my school laptop . . . and never used it. Then I accidentally did something with it when I got my new laptop at home, and I'm in love with it.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

I use One Note, and I love it! It's taken the place of all of my paper writing. I use it for lesson planning, journals, personal records, recipts.... you name it. :D

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 7, 2009

I've never heard of it! I hope they make a Mac version (probably not) off to Google...

edit...no, but there's something very similar, called Circus Ponies. Downloaded trial :)

2nd edit...this program is amazing! It thinks like I do! Mac users need to check this out!

15. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for talking about this. I have had my computer for several yrs and had no clue about what this program was. I checked it out today and it is really cool.

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

If you have Office 2003 or above for Mac, this functionality is built in. Just set Word to Notebook View.

17. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 7, 2009

i just looked for it on my computer, what do you know i have it and never knew it or knew it existed....
    does anyone have a template for lesson plans for elementary? was thinking days across the top and then subjects on the side????