Have you heard about this?! --Breast-feeding babydoll

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cMcD, Aug 11, 2009.

1. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

3. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

Wow, neat. It's so much fun seeing what different cultures come up with.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

I disagree that a breastfeeding babydoll is sexualizing little girls. Breastfeeding isn't a sexual act. I can't believe anyone thinks it is.

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

I'm 100% for breast-feeding your infant, but making a babydoll so little girls can do it too... I don't think it's necessary.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

It's.... weird. Like, I don't think we should act like breastfeeding is bad, it's sick, it's perverted. But, there is something about making a doll for little girls... I don't know... it's weird. Like, when I was a kid, I changed my dolls diaper, fed them, carried like a baby, etc. But I never pretended to breast feed. I've never seen any of my friends pretend to breastfeed. Nor have I ever seen my kinder kids pretend to breastfeed. Is that normal play?? It's just kind of weird. I don't know what to think.

7. KDS

KDS Companion

Aug 11, 2009

i agree...weird....i dont even know how to put that into words...it just looks strange and slightly spooky

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I used to pretend to breast feed my baby dolls when I saw my mom do it. And I would shove my baby doll under my shirt and then go have my baby, like what I saw on tv. So... I dunno if there is anything wrong with it.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 11, 2009

It's a lot better with the Baby Alive I had as a child. Give her the bottle and the "baby food" mix that comes with her, and watch it shoot out the other end into her diaper in a few minutes.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

Well, some people feel weird about seeing a mother breastfeeding her actual baby, so it only makes sense they wouldn't like seeing a little girl pretend to nurse.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I used my cousin's babydoll to re-enact Godzilla movies with my plastic army men and Hot Wheels cars.

The scale was almost perfect, but I ended up never having much interest in having children.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2009

Interesting

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

I'm one of those people who would not "appreciate" seeing a mother breastfeed her child (in public). I know, I know. I really don't understand why it bothers me...perhaps because my mother didn't? To be honest though, I have a lot of "sexually-related" issues...it's not healthy at all. So don't hold this against me too much. I'm pretty sure I need therapy. :unsure:

Regarding the doll, I don't like it...but I don't think it's necessarily wrong. I could make a lot of comparisons, but people would probably say I'm being dramatic and silly so I'll keep them to myself.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2009

I don't mind seeing women breast feed their children. It doesn't bother me at all. But think it's weird for little girls. Just such a strange toy.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I think breast feeding is natural and good for a baby but this toy with the petal halter simulating a mother's breast....NO!!!! Read the entire article and you'll see what I'm talking about. No one has mentioned the halter. Now, that's the strange part. It's a fake nipple for the baby doll to latch onto in order to make sucking sounds. Sorry, but that's inappropriate. What other kinds of grown-up acts should we teach our children about through the use of dolls? uh....NO.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

I know! They could create fake pregnancy bags for kids to wear around their tummy, pretending they are pregnant. Then, when it is time to deliver the baby, the bag breaks and leaks water. Then, the fake baby starts to mechanically push its way out of the bag. Voila!!

It's Preggy baby! You can order online. They come in both genders and are fit for all sizes! Lalallala laaaa lalala la

Scissors to cut the umbilical cord not included.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

Well, you could always go the distance and get rid of the fake doll. You would just have to make this in a smaller size.:p

http://digital--underground.tripod.com/id8.htm

:lol::lol::lol:

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I agree; nothing wrong with breastfeeding, absolutely nothing, but what would be next?
    One doesn't need to have a doll that makes those sounds, etc...it's just another ploy to make $$$. If little girls see breastfeeding as normal, natural, they will probably breastfeed their doll without all that extra stuff.

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

You're right that it isn't a sexual act.
    However, sex addicts think otherwise.

I am all for young girls pretending to nurse but I am not for buying a special doll to give them that idea. Let them pretend and role play!

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

I'm not an expert in child development, but don't children explore their world, and the adult world around them, through role playing? So maybe if more girls saw breastfeeding as normal and role played it when they were younger, they would feel more comfortable doing it when they were older? We know so many great things come from breastfeeding, and yet so many women are embarrassed or ashamed to do it. Perhaps instead of crying out that this is 'sexualizing' young girls, we should examine our own attitudes towards this completely natural act and why we feel feeding our children is an extension of sex, simply because breasts are attractive to men. Girls model taking care of babies in every way except breastfeeding-what's wrong with that picture?? Are they not seeing enough of it around them-are we a society dependent on bottles? Are they exposed to the connotation that early in life-they already know it's a 'taboo subject' and should not be modeled?

21. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

I guess my view on this would be that I feel like I want my own daughters to be little girls for as long as possible. Yes, they play with baby dolls, but breastfeeding is not a little girl thing, in my honest opinion. It is a grown up thing between a mother and her child. I do not have a problem with my daughters pretending to feed bottles and pretend food to babydolls, but this crosses the line between childhood and adulthood. Sorry if you guys disagree, just my two cents

22. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I am surprised at how many people said they have not seen children pretend to breast feed their dolls. I see it all the time. If a mother is modeling a behavior (nursing the baby) often the child will play act the same thing.
    In our schools, we should be modeling healthy, normal behaviors. If we use picture books that show a baby bottle feeding, we should have books that have nursing babies, too.

23. KDS

KDS Companion

Aug 12, 2009

You know...the more i have thought about it and read other posts, i think I may have a different attitude. My initial reaction might be b/c i havent been around too many breastfeeding moms. I support a woman's right to do that as long as it is 'tastefully' done (with discretion etc).
    Personally i didnt b/c i wanted back on my allergy medication. My mom said she didnt b/c we would have starved to death. :)

24. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

:yeahthat:

25. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 12, 2009

First of all - if it's "sexualizing" little girls, then people are perverts. Who honestly thinks of breastfeeding as sexual? My daughter has baby dolls that she pretends to breastfeed - granted, at 4 she doesn't understand the process so sometimes she "navelfeeds" the doll, but she imitates what she has seen around her... which is family members that breastfeed. I don't see the problem with the doll itself; I am more disturbed by the flowers that the baby suckles on, but I get that you can't exactly make a baby bra to go with the toy. If my daughter saw the toy and wanted it, I would probably buy it for her.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2009

The concept is a natural one, but the little plastic flowers are kind of creepy.

27. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I don't like dolls that "do" stuff. But I'd have no problem with a little girl pretending to nurse a "plain" doll.