Have You Googled Yourself Lately?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 1, 2014

I did this morning & hate all the stuff out there that people can find out about me & even pay to find out more if they wanted to. :mad: Of course there are websites I don't even know about that have my name.

Does anyone know how all that can be erased?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2014

Not much about me comes up. There are evidently a few other people with my name who are super active online, so they show up in the top search results instead of me.

There are companies who can erase some of your Google results or move them to the bottom of the list. I'm not sure how much that sort of thing costs. I suspect that it would only be worth it to pay for something like that if you have something really negative pop up in your search results.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

I don't show up, but there is a famous author with my name and a famous architect. I've been invited to speak at an architecture conference before due to my name. I eagerly accepted, but they didn't get back to me when they found out I didn't know anything about architecture :).

I had no idea you could pay companies to erase your Google results. I don't put much online so I have nothing to hide.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2014

I have a few things school-related show up (some old newspaper articles, etc.), our wedding website, and our engagement notices in our local papers. There are a lot of other people with my same name whose social media pops up. And all the things about me are from different states, so I'm not that worried about any of them...

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

I blog and comment on a lot of other teaching blogs-so that's what mostly comes up. Also nothing that I'd need to hide for any reason.

I did find a picture from the archives of my hometown newspaper-we were doing community service and cleaning up the neighborhood-I was like 17. That was actually kind of cool! ;)

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

I went through 24 pages of results.

I am:
    A Jesuit priest
    A realtor
    A professor at a multitude if different universities
    An author
    A baseball player
    A dead person (with a multitude of different obituaries)

None of the results referred to me.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 1, 2014

The only things that are actually ME are my Twitter (locked to anyone I haven't allowed access) and a video my school did about me (obviously professionally sound). This makes me really happy because I don't want my students to send me friend requests on FB, even after telling them I only accept graduates on my page.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

Google search results reveal nothing troublesome about me.

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 1, 2014

Ooh, I'm a professional actress and dancer, a child musical prodigy, and a photographer. There are a few FB, Twitter, and LinkedIn profiles that come up, but nothing related to yours truly. Just the way I like it!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 1, 2014

Nothing about me comes up that isn't public record anyway.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

I only come up as a therapist.

13. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jun 1, 2014

I have a few things come up about me, but nothing I would like to hide. I was heavily involved with speech team in high school, so I have a few things with that that come up. Also, my university publishes their dean's list on their website, and I'm on there.

I don't know what your work situation is right now. If you are still working at a school, I bet your school's technology person would be able to give you some ideas about how to get your search results erased.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2014

Hardly anything comes up for me. Maybe my pinterest account? I didn´t even click onto it to see if it really is mine.

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 1, 2014

Glad the obits weren't for you! :D

16. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

Your pay is public record if you work for a public school.

If you are referring to sites like spokeo, most of the time, they get it wrong. They tend to get some details about you, then miss a lot of the big ones.

Also, according to Google, i'm a 71 year old man, or I am from illinois, or I am a cheerleader from Texas, or I am a male model.

17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 1, 2014

I saw an interesting documentary a while back about this very topic I think. I think it was called Google Me or something.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

My name yields nothing because it's extremely common. Even if you add "teacher" and my state to it, you get a lot of results.

Now, if you really want to scare yourself, google your username. If you're like me, and you use the same moniker for many sites, you'll find that people can get a much more specific picture of you and your life. The search of my screen name gets you to my twitter, my blog, my Diigo account (with my real name and picture...) it's eye opening. I just did this, and I'm in the process of tightening up my privacy on many sites because of it. I'm sharing this with y'all because some people might not think to google usernames.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 1, 2014

I am a volunteer instructor with Wildlife and Fisheries and active in a few professional organizations. I get a fair number of hits when I google myself. I even did an interview with a reporter based on a post on here, that one always comes up. John Tesh music will follow me forever! lol

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

Funny you should mention this, because. I did this right after googling my name... Not this username, but one I commonly use on other sites. It turned up a YouTube comment I made on a video my class did in music several years ago and my Diigo account, and not much else. I'm satisfied :)

21. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 1, 2014

I have an unusual name, and very few things come up after several pages. The stuff that does is public record. What mostly appears is sports stuff as my last name is a common boys first name, and many towns share my first name.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 1, 2014

Ok, I did a few of the more common usernames I use and WOW! Then I did my main emails and there was more. I never thought of some of these records. None are problematic, it's just...that's a lot of me out there!

23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 1, 2014

1. Member of a town council
    2. President and General Manager of a company

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2014

This is how a search of my name comes up as well. My school website, my linked in, some writings from union magazine, my salary since I'm a public school employee...nothing I'd need erased.

25. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 1, 2014

I'm the only person with my name in the US. All that shows for images are some photos of me and my son from when he was a baby from a page we set up to share photos with family. As far as web pages, my address and phone number can be found, the results of some 5K or charity races I've done, the fact that I joined my school 3 years ago, and a quote in a newspaper article from 1992 when I participated in a township cleanup event. So, not a thing that bothers me in the least that it's out there.

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

Nothing interesting comes up if you Google me. I did notice that some pictures that I liked on Facebook came up, so I may be more careful what things I like. Also, some comments I've made on Facebook pages of businesses came up. I thought those were all private, so I may be more careful how I comment on things on Facebook from now on. But nothing I would need to worry about moving out of there or anything.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 2, 2014

My name is unusual, so the first 3 pages of Google are all ME. Oddly, the very first thing that pops up when I Google my name is an insignificant post I said on my FB page.

Also shows:

- my age
    - my parents' names & their full address
    - HS I attended & class year
    - past old email addresses
    - my FB picture
    - the license I hold & the # (Yikes, don't like that!)

With all this ID theft out there, this is the last thing we all need!

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 2, 2014

There is a gymnast with my same name, and spelling which is unusual, so I inadvertently stalked her throughout her junior, senior, and college career-through google alerts. :)

My name produces articles written about me, in my old job and current one. Nothing I'd want to hide!

29. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 2, 2014

"bros" is very hard to search for.

:p

30. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 2, 2014

I've had an article written about me in the local paper (I piloted the use of Chrome Books last school year when I was still in the classroom). That was the first thing that popped up. All other things that came up in the search were school-related. They're all actually things I'm proud of! :thumb:

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2014

Not much on me--a few articles about my daughter, which mention my name. Googling my most common username is pretty boring as well; nothing comes up that I'm worried about (of course, I never post anything online that I would be worried about becoming "public").

32. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jun 3, 2014

Evidently, I was quite the swimmer in my college days. Oh, and I am much younger than I tell people! :lol:

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2014

I have a very common first and last name so nothing comes up for me. Even googling my usernames doesn't yield much.

34. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2014

My username is apparently a word in the title of a popular Persian song. Almost all the results are connected to that.

It is also the name of a South African real estate company.

There are a few links to message boards I am a part of, and other ones that are someone else with the same user name.

35. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 3, 2014

I'm very popular...in GERMANY!!! Lol! We have a common last name, but an extremely German spelling.

When I searched google images there is only one picture of me. I did find a lot of my Pinterest pins though! :lol: Maybe I need a Pinterest intervention!?!?