Have you found yourself getting easier?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Jun 19, 2018.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jun 19, 2018

So, I'm in the process of digitizing some old files--stuff that I've had for year (15+) that is still good, but because it was in a file folder or a binder, I just forget I have it. As I'm looking back over some of this material, I've realized how much more I used to expect of my students. My projects and tests were so much more in depth not even five years ago. For example, five years ago, I had a short essay on a Macbeth test. Now, if I put short answers on the test, even with my best and brightest, many of them skip those or write two words--they would never even attempt an essay. And while I will put some of the blame on myself (I changed the assignments), I also realized that, based on the work I am getting now, that if I gave my current classes some of these assignments--they would be an abject failure. Is this just happening to me, as I've changed schools and students, or is this endemic of school in general?

3. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 19, 2018

Is it maybe that you don't have as much time to go into more depth with the content like you used to and that's why the assignments got changed?

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 19, 2018

I've done the opposite. My first couple of years, I'm not going to lie, I cared more about the kids liking me. I gave easier tests and more good grades. Now I'm more confident in my abilitites, and have no issues truly testing theirs.

5. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jun 19, 2018

I agree with TrademarkTer. I felt I was WAY too easy last year, which was my first year. My goal this year is to make my class more challenging.

I don't blame you, though based on the work you have been getting back. I would give out a test with short answers, and some kids wouldn't even bother to write in their answer. It's incredibly frustrating!