Have You Experienced the Paranormal?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 30, 2008.

1. teachingforgod4

teachingforgod4 Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

Luckily he is. Scary though, because it occured a couple of houses down from mine.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 29, 2008

^ Oh my! If you were home, I'm sure you may have been able to hear something.

3. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

I lost my grandfather almost 2 years ago. He lived with my Aunt and Uncle for the last years of his life. My cousin had a son who was 2 when he passed on and that boy was his heart and everything to him! When he passed on the baby would go into the room and talk to noone....but always told my aunt or his mom that he was talking to "grand pop-pop". As he got a little older he continued to talk to him. Last Christmas my aunt was decorating in his room and the baby was talking to him. My aunt told him to tell grandpoppop to let her know if he didn't like something. Something fell off the wall as soon as she put it up. The baby started talking again.....and was looking at the chair where poppop always sat....he said "no"...."noooooo"...."NO!"...then sighed and said "oookaayyyy" and walked off. My aunt asked him when the thing fell if poppop was there...he looked around and said "no...he left".

The summer after he passed I was sleeping in his room. I always close the bedroom door because my aunt has cats that would get in the room and play and keep me up. I made sure the door was latched before I went to bed and woke up at 5 to go potty. The door was opened. I kicked the cats out and closed it again, double checking to be sure that it latched. I went back to sleep and about 30 minutes later was awoken by something cold squeezing the last 3 fingers on my right hand. I'll swear until I die that it was him letting me know that he was watching over me.

For a while after he died my aunt and uncle both on more than a few occasions heard him calling her name from his room. I guess it also may help to know that he died in that room at home on hospice. Oh, and when he was dying, he only let ONE of the three cats into the room with him. He called the kittens "demon cats" and wouldn't let them anywhere near him. We always got suspicious that he was visiting when the "demon cats" refused to go anywhere near his room, then suddenly would go lay in there.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2008

Ok guys, it's Halloween! Let's end October w/ a bang, or should I say a bump & post those last stories that makes our skin crawl! :eek:!

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2008

Snopes doesn't always debunk things....

Calls from Beyond
    Claim: A man's cell phone placed calls to his loved ones after his demise.

6. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 31, 2008

I want to hear more stories!! I love these scary things...

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2008

Yes, even though today's the last day of Oct, I wish this thread would stay alive. I love reading these kinds of things...before it gets too dark, that is!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 31, 2008

That's freaky :eek:

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2008

So back to Margery and Ben....

As I told you earlier, we stayed in touch with Margery and Ben throughout the years. Ben got a job working for my father, and when Dad got a promotion, he would bring Ben along with him. During this particular episode we were living in Miami.

My mother was having trouble with arthritis in one of her knees. It hurt her quite a bit. She was visiting with Margery one day, and they were talking about it. They decided to have Margery try and go into a trance to contact Dr. Greg...the physician who had been dead for over 40 years.

They had to go over to a medium's home that Margery knew because Margery was not a full medium herself (at the time.) Contact occured, and Margery was "told" that Dr. Greg would try to help my mother. Mom was to place a pure glass of medical alcohol and cotton gauze on her bedside table. In the morning, she was to rub the alcohol on her knee.

So let me set the scene. The house was an "L" shape with the bedrooms off on one of the arms of the "L". Living room, dining room, and kitchen were on the other wing of the "L". In the middle was a pool and an outdoor screened in patio where there was a huge table and a TV lounging area. (Miami, remember?)

My family and I were kind of laughing about the trance and watching TV and talking, all the while keeping an eye on Mom and Dad's bedroom door. (French doors that opened onto the pool.) I decided I wanted to check on the glass to see if anything had happened. Not trusting each other, we all trooped over to the bedroom and peeked in.

The alcohol in the glass was swirling around and becoming milky white! I'm staring at it, and my father, who was a scientist, gave a startled "Well!" (He was the most skeptic of us all.) My brother walked into the room over to the glass. He said, "You need to come over here" to us, but Mom wouldn't budge from the doorway. Dad and I walked over and watched the alcohol continue to swirl into a milky white substance. Then it settled down and slowly stopped.

My father was quite startled. He was a MIT-educated scientist, and he had no explanation for it. My brother and I thought it was very funny and burst out laughing. Mom wouldn't come into the room--just hung onto the doorframe saying "It's not funny!"

We didn't feel any cold drafts or any presence, but the image does remain with me many years later.

Mom did put the alcohol on her knee the next morning while we were all gathered around watching her. We were laughing and joking, telling her she was going to be up and dancing any second. Well, she didn't. Sorry to disappoint you all, but while her knee felt better for a few days, the "treatment" did not take. She had knee replacement surgery a few years later.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2008

My father became quite a believer in the ability to communicate with the dead. Many years later, while he was in the hospital with congestive heart failure, I was visiting with him one morning. He told me that he had had a conversation with Jesus the night before. It wasn't about believing in him; it was about the ways of mankind, about the wonders of the natural world, and about the powers that people could harness if they just believed they could. Simple things, like putting your hand through metal. Dad said that Jesus told him to just believe that he could pass his hand through the metal bars of the bed, and he could do it. I asked Dad if he thought he was sleeping at the time, and he said that it felt very real, but that he could have been. He didn't think so, though.

Dad was never a religious man, but he was after that. Privately spiritual. He didn't talk about it, but he became "softer" and more reflective. He still didn't attend church, but you could find him sitting in the woods or in the garden just thinking. If you asked him what he was doing, he'd tell you that he was admiring God's creations. This was not the kind of conversations that we had in my house. I was, at the time, the only one who had faith in there being a God. He never made the comments to anyone else.

He died a few years later after that visit with Jesus. He was in a hospital (St. Joseph's) in Atlanta, and we had all gone home to take a shower and get some sleep. We were coming back the next day to be with him. But we got a call around 11:00 that evening, asking us to come back to the hospital. As we were driving in towards the city, the night sky was so beautiful, full of stars. I was in the backseat of the car, staring out the window, crying. Everyone was very quiet, sort of knowing why we were being called back in.

As we got closer to the hospital, I suddenly saw a beam of bluish white light shoot straight up into the sky from the area where the hospital was located. It went straight up and into some clouds that were playing hide and go seek with the moon.

I pointed it out to everyone in the car. My older brother (the biggest and most vocal agnostic) said it was just one of those beams that buildings use to advertise their location. I didn't feel like arguing (too sad), but it didn't seem likely. It wasn't rotating, and it seemed odd that it would suddenly appear at 11:00 at night.

Another brother said that maybe it was a moonbeam. But it didn't look like one at all. It was a column of light, very strong.

We got to the hospital about ten minutes later and were met at one of the back doors by a nurse. She told us to hurry. When we got upstairs, another nurse met us and directed us into a small counseling room. We were too late. Dad had just passed on, ten minutes earlier.

Sad, but beautiful. Not quite ghostly, but spiritual.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 1, 2008

We had a family that went to our church. They had a 7yr old daughter and she passed away due to cancer. Well her mom told her before she passed that she wanted some kind of sign after she passed to be with Jesus that she ok. Well the mom did not see or hear any sign for like a week and kinda forgot about it. Well a week later she walked passed her daughters old room close to her normal bedtime and a lamp started flickering on and off and on and off. The mom said she could never sleep without that lamp on. Not as scary as some of your stories but ya.

12. asgirl

asgirl Rookie

Dec 1, 2008

When I was younger, we had a fatal crash out the front of our old place (a car went under a truck) and the noise woke me up. My parents were the first on the scene (it was literally a hundred metres from our house) and when mum rang the ambulance she put me on the verandah near our tanks so I was kinda aware what was going on but wasn't anywhere near the crash. At one point I looked over our tanks and saw 3 angels above the tank, this was before I knew 3 people had been killed in the crash. For many years after I could actually draw the angels, they were that vivid.

13. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

This is just one of those things I have to share! Nothing creepy, but just wierd.

My parents go to a small church located on a relatively busy street. Nearly all the regularly attending members are at least 50, with most of them being elderly. A church in the county recently experienced a shooting, killing one during their service (I belive it was one person). So it made me think, "Gosh, I hope that doesn't happen again!!".

Well...Sunday night my parents arrived early. The women pray ten minutes before the service in the prayer room. The men stay in the sanctuary and chit chat until the ladies are finished. But sometimes they stand at the lobby. (it is a very small congregation!)

As the ladies were about to go into the prayer room, my mom's friend said, "You never know who might come in here and try something. I'm taking my purse. I don't feel right leaving it unattended." The other six or seven ladies agreed and took theirs as well.

During the meeting a stranger came into the lobby, walked past the men, and started pacing around the sanctuary. Then men felt uneasy at his behavior and went back into the sanctuary to keep a watch on him. When he saw the men approaching he said, "Well, I wanted to be saved, but there's no one in here to tell me how!" And then he went back out through the lobby to the parking lot. The men watched him drive away.

Imagine the ladies' surprise when they found out that a suspicious character had indeed come into the building! Even scarier than that, he came back during the preaching and sat in the back, then left a few minutes later. With all the shootings going on, that kind of stuff is scary. Those poor people were on pins and needles the whole rest of the service. I am so certain that my mom's friend did not know that a stranger would come in a pace around, so that's what makes this whole thing so wierd.

14. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

I have firmly commanded my husband not to EVER EVER play jokes on me when I'm in the shower!! I, too, feel this way when closing my eyes to rinse my face. Sometimes I get so freaked out I'll open them with soap still there! Then my eyes burn and I am forced to close them! :blush:

I had a nightmare a few months ago. I was so on edge that even the slightest scare in the apartment would cause me to cry. He has learned not to play tricks on me, or I will cry! I can't help it, I just don't like being scared anymore.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 2, 2008

I've never lived alone in my life & I hope to God that I don't get scared easily, especially when it's dark. I'd hate to be so scared that every little noise sends me flying under my covers! :unsure:

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 11, 2019

It's now October 2019. Anyone have any stories to share! Nothing for me, thank God!

Michelle and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  17. JimG

JimG Comrade

Oct 12, 2019

Yes, I have experienced the paranormal. One time, an entire class of freshman Algebra 1 students completed their homework on time! What kind of black magic made that happen?!

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 14, 2019

LOLOL

czacza and Michelle like this.
  19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 14, 2019

I have no idea what happened in this instance but I was taking a walk one day in the local cemetery. It was a hot day. No breeze. Several people walking around visiting graves, etc. Even some people with their dogs taking a walk (they have nice paths for walking). Well, I'm walking and all of a sudden I feel someone tapping my shoulder. I had my headphones on so I didn't hear anything. I looked behind me and....NOBODY THERE! Good grief! I was spooked. I kept walking with no further incidents. Could have been my imagination but I'll never know!

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2019

I have had a couple of interesting experiences. My husband and I are avid geocachers. One year we drove from Florida to Nebraska to attend his father's funeral. During the time we were in Nebraska we added some caches to our list to hunt for. We had some time between the service and the graveside burial so we went caching. The very last cache took us to a large tree in a nice cemetery. That tree turned out to be the burial site of his father.

Another set of experiences occurred during the weeks after our son passed. I felt that he was reaching out to us...there were just lots of weird things happening during that time.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 16, 2019

My FIL suffered from Alzheimer's. He and I had often disagreed about many things, probably made worse by the fact that neither of us was afraid to voice our opinions. Dad was of a mind that men tended to be smarter than women, overall, and that he was entitled to the last word in any argument or "discussion". I was the first member in the family to note the mental changes, but no one wanted to hear me. By the time of his diagnosis, his change in how he interacted with others was noticeable, especially to me. Remarkably, what he was losing in memory was nothing compared to the compassion he gained in dealing with others. I became one of his favorite people, and I have to say that my love for this man grew by leaps and bounds. My MIL was growing more petty with Dad, getting even, I suspect for a lifetime of slights. Since she lacked any real understanding of what changes were occurring, I became the dominant caregiver. I will be forever grateful for those years with Dad, since the emotional side that emerged was unlike the years that had preceded them. His daughter would have nothing to do with him, my husband was good with Dad, but very busy. My MIL was embarrassed to be seen with Dad. Finally, my MIL couldn't stand to have Dad at the house, so she put him in an Alzheimer's unit. Once there, away from the things that were familiar, he started going down hill rapidly.

My son had a performance with the school band, one of the few that Dad had ever missed, but the night was upbeat as we went to bed. About an hour after going to bed I sat straight up in the bed, convinced that someone had called my name. I listened, thinking that either my son or husband might have said something, but they were both asleep yes, I checked. I laid down, but felt unsettled. Just as I was about to drop off to sleep, I thought I heard my name called again, but this time I was sure it was Dad. I knew hubby would think I was crazy, but I felt it was imperative that I go to where he was. I didn't wake anyone, dressed quickly, and made the 45 minute drive to where he was on a quiet moon-lit night.

Since visitors were welcome at any time, I simply went to the floor and the nursing station. They were surprised to see me, because they hadn't called anyone yet. I asked why "yet", and they told me that they had a call into the doctor, because his breathing was labored, Dad was restless, and his heart rate was slowing. They took me to his room, and I will never know if he realized I was there. I knew, though, that this was where I was supposed to be. I talked, he listened, and I was able to tell him about the concert. As I talked, he became calm, and I told him I was glad he had reached out to let me know he needed company. Those 40 minutes were peaceful, and I truly felt then, as I still do 20 years later, that he had reached out in a way I will never understand, but never question. I sensed urgency, and I had left the house without any hesitation. He passed away quietly, not alone.

My husband was surprised to find I was with Dad as I shared the news he was gone. Neither my MIL or SIL wanted to come, so I stayed until the funeral home people came to care for him gently. I wish I had been "called" when my mom died in her sleep, but I wasn't. Why Dad chose to summon me is something I still think about, but I will be eternally grateful that I chose to answer his calls, so that we could share some quiet time together before it was too late.

Is that paranormal? Not sure, but I have no explanation that is rational.

22. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Oct 17, 2019

Yes - at least I think. I live just outside of DC so I feel I’m rather lucky with all the places I have here to visit. One day I was at The Octogon House ( which is known as one of the most haunted places in DC ). That’s all I knew before visiting - I didn’t want to read up on the history and stories before I went because I wanted to go in with an open mind. The house has a beautiful spiral staircase and at a certain point - there is a rope with a “ Do not go pass this location - employees only “.
    So... since my friend and I were the only ones there and I really wanted a picture of the whole staircase, I went to the next stair landing to take a picture. ( yes I know we could have gotten in trouble ) While I was taking my picture I lost my balance and had to step away from the railing.
    After I got home I read up on the history and discovered that ...
    “... Colonel Tayloe and his daughter quarreled on the second floor landing over the girl's relationship with a British officer stationed in the city. When the daughter turned in anger to go down the stairs, she fell down the stairs or over the railing and died. Her specter is allegedly seen crumpled at the bottom of the steps or on the stairs near the second floor landing... ”.
    Coincidence or not?

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2019

I love your story, vickilyn! It gave me goosebumps and a lump in my throat.

24. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2019

My grandparents on my Mom's side visit me often. 27 years ago my Grandfather passed away on Christmas Day. My husband and I lived in a small little house. It was just husband me and our almost 1 year old at the time but I was pregnant with the next child. So we just had a little Christmas tree on a table in the window. I had bought lights that blinked. That night when we came home from my Grandparents house we noticed that they lights stopped blinking. Being the holidays we couldn't get my Grandfather's funeral planned until a week later. We had the funeral and that night after the funeral I came back home and the lights had started blinking again. This went on for at least 25 Christmas'. I bought new lights every year. This passed year they blinked all through the week. We will see what they do this year. My Grandmother would flush the toilet. Our toilets would flush for no reason at random times. She did this in her house a few days after she passed away. In fact we had to have a plumber come to her house the day of the funeral so that we could have the get together there. He said nothing was wrong with the toilet. That's why I know it's her flushing our toilets. I have an item that belonged to my other grandfather and I feel his presence when I hold that item.