Have You Experienced the Paranormal?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 30, 2008.

1. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2008

Nope, not tonight....

Just a teaser, I SAW Dr. Greg do something. SAW IT!!! COULD NOT IN ANY WAY be a trick.

2. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Oct 4, 2008

I've never seen anything paranormal, but I can feel emotions that make no sense when I go different places. I have a friend who is studying the paranormal world as part of her graduate studies and she said I am considered a sensitive - I'm not psychic (don't get images or any specifics) but I can sense the residual emotions that a place holds on to. I don't know how much of it I believe, but one time on vacation when my sweetie and I were touring a old building (sweetie is very into architecture), I got a horrible headache and my chest started feeling tight. I was on the verge of calling 911 and said something about my headache being localized to my right temple and the tour guide said that during some recent renovations, one of the contractors had a heart attack and fell 2 stories where he hit the right side of his head on a table and died. I have had similar things happen many times (both good and bad emotions), but that was one of the most powerful.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 4, 2008

My mom said when I was little I saw ghosts all the time. She said I stopped talking about it around 4 or 5.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2008

I thought of one more. My dad and I were visiting my mom's grave. This is a somewhat old cemetery where there was still separation of white and african americans. My dad and I decided to walk down the length of the african american cemetery. There were some old markings. We got about half way down the path and I got this sense that was someone was telling me that we didn't belong there and that we should go quickly. I ran back to the gate.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2008

Today I was reminded of a story a co-worker told me years ago.
    This lady had just had a baby girl, and the baby wasn't doing well. I forget why she wasn't doing well, but they thought the baby might not live. As this lady lay in the hospital bed talking with her husband, a nurse asked the husband to take care of some paper work. The husband followed the nurse to the nurse's station.
    A few minutes later, her dad came in to see her. She started telling him how scared she was for the baby, and she broke down and cried. Her dad patted her hand and told her not to worry. He told her the baby would improve, just be patient, and she and the baby would go home in about three days. They talked a little more, he kissed her goodbye, and he left.
    When her husband came in, he noticed a dent in the foot end of the bed where her dad had been sitting. He asked her who came by. She said her dad came by, and she told him what all her dad said. Her husband told her that wasn't possible, since her dad died way before they got married. She actually argued with her husband, because she believes 100% that her dad came to visit her because she was so terrified for her baby, and he wanted to comfort her. They had been close all her life, and after he died no one looked out for her like he did.
    When she told me this story, she swore she wasn't messed up on medication or mentally messed up. she just believes her dad came to make her feel better.

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2008

Another co-worker story-

A co-worker's mom died. There came a time during the viewing/funeral days that this co-worker was in her bedroom, getting ready. Her mom appeared in the mirror and told her to try and calm down, and that everything would be okay.

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2008

And then my sister once told me-

You have to understand that in 1973, when I was 8 and my sister was 18, our dad died. He had a stroke. His last day at home, his speech was slurred. My sister wanted to call an ambulance, but our dad said no. Our dad wasn't always Ward Cleaver, if you get my drift, so she obeyed. When mom came home, she called the ambulance. After he died, my sister always blamed herself , because she didn't call the ambulance. She had vivid nightmares during that time that she could never tell our mom about. This went on for a long time. There came a day that she had enough. She actually went to the cemetery, went up to his grave and told him to leave her alone. I forget what all she told me she said. She believed he was torturing her for not calling the ambulance. After she left the cemetery, she never had another bad dream about him again.

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2008

And look, everybody!! Earlier today the top fell off our bathroom cup dispenser, and I jumped like a cat!! LOL!
    Ghosts didn't do it, our neighbors who we share a wall with did!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2008

becky-your post reminded me of another story. My mom had been dead for 2 years when we were having our second child. I was about 23 weeks when I went into labor. By the time I got to a hospital that could really handle a baby born this early, it was too late to try to keep her in a week (which would have greatly increased her chances of surviving). As I was in hard labor pushing, I saw my mom appear at the foot of the bed. She said that everything would be okay, and that she would take Emily back with her and take care of her until I could come join them.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2008

I've haven't experienced as much as many of you, but I have had a couple of strange experiences happen to me. First when I was at my grandmother's funeral and the priest asked all of the grandchildren to put the hands on her casket as soon as we put our hands on the casket there was a huge boom of thunder. Also, a few years ago when I was still at home and my parents were out I was becoming basically hysterical worrying about my parents and praying to let my parents be okay (even though they weren't late, yet) and I later found out that they were extremely lucky that they weren't in a car accident. The roads were slick and my dad was using the cruise control on the car and the cruise control got stuck and my dad briefly lost control of the car.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2008

My bf just told me this last night:

His brother, wife, & their 2 daughters (ages 2 & 4) live in a 40 yr old house. They've lived there a few yrs. Starting a couple of mos ago, the colored, plastic, magnet letters that kids play w/ started slowly spelling out the name RENEE letter by letter a few nights apart! The letters were in the middle of the floor of one of their rooms where they would never ordinarily be.

After that, on 2 separate occasions, their older daughter & her father saw a little girl that looked about 9 standing in the bathtub of one of their bathrooms & one time, she held out her hand to the daughter one night! Their daughter refuses to go into that bathroom anymore & the family wants to move if they see one more thing. It seemed to stop for a couple wks now though.

The family found of that yrs ago, a little girl must have died on the property where their house is.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2008

I went to Japan when I was in high school. We went to Hiroshima. My grandparents were from there and all their brothers and sisters were killed by the bomb. My cousin couldn't walk around and just basically froze and started crying. It was hard for both of us to breathe--the air was thick with spirits.

My youngest daughter would always talk about the old people in her room at night. Lilly was one that she talked about alot.

When my brother got married in Texas, we stayed at a b & b that was supposedly haunted. My sister was in her room rocking my nephew to sleep when she said a woman ghost patted her face and said, "good mommy". Later that night my sister said the ghost was sitting on the foot of my nephew's bed patting his head.

About 12 years ago, my husband got really sick with menengitis. He had a temp of 105. The doctors told me to be prepared as they thought he wouldn't make it. He was halucinating and acting out his dreams in bed. I could tell that one time he was eating popcorn, and on time he was putting on his air tank (he's a firefighter). He would talk with me during this time too. He asked me to hold his poker chips once!! anyway, one time he was lucid and told me that he had just been sitting on a hill overlooking the river where his family had homesteaded, his aunt was there and told him that he couldn't stay. He had to go back because it wasn't his turn. HE said that it was so beautiful and he could see his father in the distance, but she kinda yelled at him to go back.

THANKS Aunt Velma!!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 10, 2008

Anyone's workplace haunted? Do you work at any old schools, libraries, courthouses, restaurants, hotels, etc.?

14. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 10, 2008

Yes - more stories please!! I love reading about them, although I completely scare myself even if it is daytime and there are people around :)

I claim there ahve been times I wake-up in the middle of the night and see ghost-like figures, although nothing ever clear enough to know who or what they are. Also, the women on my mom's side of the family are always dreaming of one another when they "feel" like something may be wrong and later find out the problem. This is more of just being connected, but I find it comforting.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 10, 2008

I promised a few stories, and I haven't been very good at posting them! Here's my most recent and probably favorite:

My dad died in '95, when I was 15. My mom lived alone for a long time, but got remarried recently. Her husband's wife died a few years ago, and together they moved into his house way out in the country. Last year was going to be their first Christmas together all settled in to their house, they were really going all out decorating and everything, and they got out some old decorations they had. My mom had an old Santa with moving hands, and he had some little train set thing. They would come home, and that Santa would be on and moving, and the train going! Both have on/off buttons that have to be switched on! So they chalked it up to old, faulty wiring or whatever. Then one time, they came home and found the Santa, the train, and their TV all on, and the garage door up! They swear up and down none were on, and the door was closed (and they are very particular, so I don't doubt it). They were fed up, so they got out some pictures of their respective spouses and put them next to the Santa and the train, and asked them if it was OK if they had a nice Christmas together, in their new lives.

I swear, it never happened again! I think my dad and his wife just wanted to be remembered, and to give their blessing to them!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2008

Any more stories?!

17. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Oct 25, 2008

I have worked for a at-risk organization. The office was in a historic dwelling that was built in the 1700's. It is a farmhouse 2 rooms down with a center hall and 2 room up. The downstairs office has a small bathroom. Must have been a closet at one time before plumbing or something. Anyway...one day I was there alone and in the bathroom. I heard the front door open and close and someone walk up the stairs. I hurried out of the bathroom and went into the front hall. I called hello upstairs thinking our counselor had arrived. No one was there. The front door, still the old original door with the old doorknob and lock, was closed. I wanted to leave. Not long after the counselor did arrive. Also, the other ladies in the office have heard the door open and someone walking upstairs while they were there later in the afternoon and in the evening. They have come to the top of the stairs to see who came in, but no one is there. Plus, the front door is always locked when anyone is there alone. I had no uneasy feelings like I sometimes have when I walk into houses or places. The couselor says it is a man. Sometimes the front door opens by itself. We just say come on in.

18. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Oct 25, 2008

When I was about 3 or 4 years old, my family lived in an old house. One day I walked out to the front hall and then started up the stairs to the second floor. When I got halfway up, I looked to the right and there were 2 men sitting at a small table playing chess. I remember turning around and running to my mom in the kitchen. We did find a very nice chess set in one of the upstairs bedrooms. This house was big and had a huge upper hallway.

A few years ago my DH and children were staying in a new hotel. When we arrived in our room, I immediately felt uneasy. I didn't like the room. It felt wrong. I didn't say anything but I really wanted to ask for a different room. Later we went out to eat dinner. When we returned we couldn't get in the room. The key card wouldn't work. So, we went down and asked for help. The hotel staff moved us to another room down and across the hall. The room was the same as the other one just opposite. I felt as if a ton of bricks had been lifted from me. I felt so much better. The hotel did not charge us for that stay. I was so relieved not to have to stay in that room. I have no idea what it was, but it wasn't good.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2008

Although this kind of stuff creeps me out, it's just interesting to read!

MORE! :D

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 25, 2008

for whatever reason I've always had trouble taking a shower and closing my eyes to wash my face...
    I feel something behind me looking at me...
    it's pretty creepy
    Tonight I came out of the bathroom, closed the door....I must have not closed it fully b/c it opened...but I got chills when it did...felt like something pushed it open...it opened rather quickly

21. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Oct 25, 2008

I get this feeling, too. It's awful.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 25, 2008

I also promised a few stories and didn't follow through. Here's my scariest story.

A year and a half ago, on my middle son's 6th birthday my grandmother (the horrible one) got very sick. We had to call rescue in the middle of the birthday party. My mother and I followed the ambulance to the hospital. We made sure that she got registered properly and that she was being taken care of, and my mom and I went to get something to eat. When we got back, the hospital staff informed us that she was very sick and might not make it through the night. Since I had left in the middle of my son's birthday party, my mom sent me home and said she'd stay. By this time, it was very late. I had left the kids with my Dad at their house, and they live pretty far out in the sticks. It's very dark out there. The kids were already asleep when I got there. I walked into the house and immediately felt the worst kind of cold I've ever felt in my life. I was scared out of my mind and promply went to look in on the kids. As I walked to the hallway, I saw these horrible creatures slinking into the bedrooms. They were laughing, in this horrible evil sort of way. They were short, about 4 feet tall, some thin, some not, but all 5 of them exuded evil. They were going into the room where two of my sons were sleeping. I didn't know what to do. I started praying. I literally fell to my knees right there in the hallway of my parents' home. I prayed to protect my family, to banish whatever these evil things were that had invaded my parents house. I kept praying. The lights in the office went off and the refrigerator door flew open. I kept praying for the safety of my family. I heard evil laughter, then screaming. I kept praying. Eventually, after about 30 minutes, all of the lights in the house went on of their own volition. The house was warm again, and was filled with a peace that I've never felt since. I got up, closed the refrigerator door, and went to check on the kids. They were all sleeping peacefully. I went to go check on my dad, and he was also sleeping. I sat down on the couch, unable to sleep. I guess I dozed off and on throughout the night, since I remember being awake and pacing the halls, but I also remember being awoken by my little brother the next morning.

I checked in with my mom at the hospital. She had news for me. Shortly after I left the hospital, my grandmother became critical. She nearly stopped breathing several times and was placed on oxygen (she has a DNR). Her heart weakened and recovered multiple times as well. She struggled for about an hour, then stabalized. My grandmother, as many of you know, is NOT a nice person, and I've "joked" about her being possesed by demons. After this experience, I'm not quite sure it's a joke.

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2008

Continuing the story of Margery and Ben and her "communications" with Dr. Greg. Dr. Greg died, by the way, in the 1940's.

As I told you, Margery and Ben had many children. They moved to Atlanta and we were able to visit with them frequently. They decided to adopt a boy of around 14 who was from Columbia. The boy had some medical issues, and was seeing doctors at Emory. They discovered that he had a form of brain cancer that was incurable. (I don't know exactly what it was.)

Margery went into a trance and asked Dr. Greg to step in and intercede for the boy. She was told to place a sterilized knife, medical alcohol, and gauze by the boy's bedside that night.

They do as Dr. Greg tells them. The next morning, they take the boy back to Emory, and discover that the boy is cured...completely. No traces of the cancer. The doctors are mystified, double check, etc. but nothing is there. They decide that it is a miracle. They can't claim otherwise, there are too many x-ray images, blood tests, etc. from too many doctors to call it a slip-up.

Absolutely true. The boy is completely healthy now.

I know this happened, and that there is a Dr. Greg.

Because, you see, I had seen him in action a few years before that.

That's the next (and last) story. I'll tell you about that one sometime this week.

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 26, 2008

I have twice.

Back in 2000, my uncle died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. My whole family thinks that he was depressed beyond belief, but didn't actually mean to kill himself. It's kinda a long story. Anyway, after the wake, my family had a small gathering at his home. We were all in the living room discussing the "accidental" suicide. Right there in front of everyone, a dictionary fell off the shelf and onto the floor. One of the guide words on the top of the page was "accident." A few years later, my aunt went to see that guy who was a popular afterlife speaker - he had his own show, but I can't remember his name. At any rate, he picked my aunt out of the crowd and told her her husband apologizes and that it was a mistake. It brought my aunt tremendous relief.

Last year I was with my dad (around Halloween, oddly enough.) We were waking around a deserted building that was slated to be torn down by the state. The mayor hired my dad to take photos of it (my dad is a professional photographer). We were the only ones in the building, and we were walking around mostly in the dark because my dad didn't want to get in trouble for sneaking me in there. This place was totally cool, and it was an old hotel that had been left pretty much untouched since the 40's. To make a really long story short, while we were in there we heard a super-creepy, non-human-like voice screaming my dad's name. The first time it happened we tried to ignore it but I could tell he was as freaked out as me. The second time it happened, we started trying to find the way out. By the third time, we were booking it down the hallways. It was terrible. I am certain we were the only ones in there, since my dad had the only key.

mmswm, your story is going to keep me up tonight!!

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2008

Woah, mmswm, I've never heard anything like that! :eek:

Pisces Fish, that 2nd story was scary too! If I heard someone calling my name, human or not, I wouldn't know what to do! :unsure:

I have to wait till it's daytime to read this thread!

Post more please, you know you guys like reading them too! :)

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 26, 2008

My dogs are freaking out, barking at the bedroom and there is nothing in there. BLAH Ghost boy is being a brat.

27. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 26, 2008

My grandmother was about six.. she went to bed during a party her parents were having. She heard a cowbell outside her window. She got up to tell her dad one of the cows got out. He checked and all the cows were in their pens. She heard it again, told him, and he checked again. The third time he told her to just go to bed, everything was fine. She peeked out her window and let out a blood curdling scream. Everyone rushed in and looked over her shoulder and that is where the story ends. All of those there agreed never to speak of what they saw. I still don't know. Some cousins think it was a glowing two-hooved "thing" but none of the elders talk about it.

28. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 26, 2008

We were leaving for a vacation but forgot one of the bags. We only made it to the end of the driveway and drove back up to the house. When my dad went in, all of the windows were covered with blankets.

29. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 26, 2008

My cousin and his wife were living in the house where my grandma heard the cowbell. One morning they found a mound of dead maggots on the kitchenette table. They saw the light fixture above had a crack in it. They went to work, thinking they'd clean it up later. When they got home, all the maggots were gone. The fixture still had the crack in it.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 26, 2008

My husband and I used to hang out with a goofy friend who had the nickname "Pumpkinhead". He loved halloween and pumpkins. Anyway, he died 7 years ago this month in a car accident. We were told he fell asleep in his car that was running and the carbon monoxide got him then the car caught on fire. His funeral was on Halloween night. We used to go visit his grave every year in October and leave a little pumpkin. Since we moved a few towns away we havn't gone back to visit his grave. Last October my husband was in our driveway walking and felt a HARD push. He fell to the ground and ended up breaking his arm. He couldn't explain how he fell. He didn't trip over anything and nobody was there. He now thinks maybe Pumpkinhead was visiting him and was not happy that we havn't visited HIM lately. I think we better go take a trip to the cemetary before something happens THIS October :eek:

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 26, 2008

That story was terrifying to read! I can't imagine what I would do if that happened to me. I totally believe it though since it sounds like a similar story told at a lecture given by the Warrens (a couple of real live ghost hunters).

32. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 26, 2008

I need to stop reading these!

::Shiver::

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 26, 2008

I think it was one of those times where pure protective instinct took over.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2008

bump

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 28, 2008

As in...things that go bump in the night?? :eek:

36. teachingforgod4

teachingforgod4 Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

Back in my early teens a preacher from around here murdured his wife. They came to visit our chuch one sunday and I looked at his wife and thought, "he is going to murder her." I was horrified that I thought that because it just seemed strange to think that. Sure enough two months later he killed her.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2008

Right! After all this is the month for it!

But honestly, are you just pulling my leg?! :) (I'm sure you know that when people post BUMP in threads, it means that they want to revive it so more people can post.)

So, post those stories everyone! :D

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 28, 2008

LOL yes I knew what you meant! Just tryin to be funny :D
    I gave it an extra bump up though!

39. teachingforgod4

teachingforgod4 Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

I also remember back in 04 my mom was talking to my aunt on the phone. Something hit me all at once when I got this feeling that she was going to die. It was like my chest was hurting. One week later she died from a fatal heart attack.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2008

Woah, how freaky! :eek:hmy: I hope he's in jail.