Have you ever...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by 100%Canadian, Jan 10, 2009.

1. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jan 10, 2009

I would like to re-attempt literature circles this year (had mixed results a few years back with some apathetic grade sixes) but the rule in teaching is "model, model, model". Has anyone every modeled LCs with a whole-class read aloud? This is my plan but I'd like to hear some feedback from anyone who has tried it, or anyone who could give some pointers as to what worked for them.

I plan to read the classic, "Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of NIMH", while demonstrating the different roles. As we get deeper into the book, I'll start giving the roles to students who are divided into groups. I know the premise of LCs is to have the groups decide their own reading path and to do their reading independently but my kids love to be read to by me and I enjoy doing it. If I find this is a good "breaking in" for LCs, in the early spring, I'm going to let them choose novels from a mystery kit I've ordered, whereby they can then assume the roles and do their reading independently, as the idea of LCs implies.

Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

3. Miz Liz

Miz Liz Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

My class did a whole group lit circle with Mouse and the Motorcycle in October to introduce the concept. It worked pretty well. They did small group LCs in December and although they needed a lot of reminders about what they were supposed to do they seemed to really enjoy them (and the parents were really pleased with what they were doing). I have an agreement with my P that I can switch back and forth between basal and LCs so in 4-5 weeks we'll get to do another round of LCs (which I definitely prefer to the basal).

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 10, 2009

I've always used a picture book to model my literature circles. I read the book aloud 4 days in a row and each day we model a different role. After that we work with a novel. It has worked really well and gets us into the actual literature circles quicker.

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

I always begin with a whole class literature circle. I printed some LC role sheets from Laura Candler's site and had all of the students do all of the jobs. We spent a lot of time modeling and helping each other. I then did a very guided LC with several groups. Now the kids are pretty good at the independent LC. I have also used basal stories to build the foundations of LA...works well.